I'm getting less confident in Resident Evil 2

The more i see of this the more I am actually getting disappointed in it, this video right here signifies a huge problem facing the game at least in my eyes.

The game is absurdly dark in nearly every sequence of play shown, like pitch black where only flashlights light the environment and dimly cascade onto other surfaces. They're very much "Doom 3'ing" the gameplay environments as a means of heightening tension in place of tension that used to exist as a means of fixed cameras and I'm just not feeling it. I want to actually see what is going on, where I am, take in the environment, not be constantly shrouded in darkness where there is actually no environmental ambience. 

I don't know, this doesn't look so hot to me. 

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

The level is deliberately dark, doesn't mean the entire game is going to be like that. That said I do think the shooting gameplay looks pretty average, it kind of just plays like Revelations 2.

Leon's segments have been this way too, the game is just dark in general. In the original game the power grid was still active and lights were still on, this game is as if everything shut down. Also yeah a lot of people are complaining about the way the combat looks, it looks kind of clunky.

38 minutes ago, lostfool said:

You cry too much

100%. this dude is plagued by narcissism. why make this thread when we all saw this footage of the game already. Please, stop making threads.

16 minutes ago, kaz said:

100%. this dude is plagued by narcissism. why make this thread when we all saw this footage of the game already. Please, stop making threads.

You clearly don't know what narcissism is, it's not what you think it to be. Also this footage came out today, so it's new, I'm also not everybody's keeper and have no idea who has or has not seen what. 

It's a legitimate concern covering what is a legitimate and large divergence from the original game that could detract from the experience. The original game was well lit and rich in atmospherics, this game is extremely dark and 90%+ of the gameplay shown has been accompanied by segments in horribly lit environments with a flashlight as the main or only light source, this now pertains to both characters with what we've seen of Claire.

When Doom 3 came out in 2004 it was praised but also panned for being horrendously dark with a reliance on the flashlight mechanic to traverse through large portions of the game. Now this isn't the exact scenario but to me it's equally awful in terms of visual design. You're masking everything you should be seeing under the veil of darkness for the sake of tension, that's poor generic horror design, any game can do that to illicite jump scares. One of the biggest assets of Resident Evil has been its iconic world design and atmospherics, all of that now appears to be hidden and only exposed when a small beam of light is present, that's garbage. 

We're going from this

Hhn5mTQ.png

To this

bhGlx9I.png

Edited by DynamiteCop!

I actually like what they've done with it in regards to much of it being in the darkness.  I also think at some point we'll have to restore power to certain areas.

I do think though that some of the recent footage looks too washed out.. as if they need to turn the brightness down and up the contrast a bit.

I think HDR is going  to work wonders for this game as well. 

Just now, Remij_ said:

I actually like what they've done with it in regards to much of it being in the darkness.  I also think at some point we'll have to restore power to certain areas.

I do think though that some of the recent footage looks too washed out.. as if they need to turn the brightness down and up the contrast a bit.

I think HDR is going  to work wonders for this game as well. 

I'm sure it will still be great but I'd be remiss to say I don't have environmental/lighting concerns. Also as Twin said some of the combat looks a bit wonky and dated as if it was directly pulled from Revelations 2. Also the enemies seem overly bullet spongy. 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I'm sure it will still be great but I'd be remiss to say I don't have environmental/lighting concerns. Also as Twin said some of the combat looks a bit wonky and dated as if it was directly pulled from Revelations 2. Also the enemies seem overly bullet spongy. 

They can't appeal to everyone.  REmake pretty much did the same thing.  It drastically altered the lighting from the original version and made it darker... Obviously not so much that you need a flashlight everywhere, so don't get me wrong, I get your complaint.  It's valid.  I think it's a fair thing to say.  But I think that it makes sense given the state of the department in this new version.  They wanted it to feel like the department actually went through hell after the incident.

And as for combat, I think it looks clunky.. which is pretty much how these games have always been.  We're also watching people likely quite new to the controls play with little experience..  I also think that being spongy is necessary, because you have to decide whether you should be wasting ammo or not taking these zombies out and clearing rooms, or running past them if possible.

I'm not really making excuses as I feel like these are legitimate trade-offs for the kind of style the remake has gone for.  In RE4, there were literally groups of the exact same enemy type and just waves of enemies.  This seems more natural to me.  They're actual zombies, not fast running or moving.. so this is how they make them formidable and scary to deal with.

Honestly, I feel like we're not seeing the game at it's absolute best yet.  We're not seeing it properly as intended by the developers.  I think in HDR, the game's look will improve drastically, with color, highlights and shadowing looking more natural and pronounced.  And I think there will be plenty of areas in the game that are well lit.  Remember, some of these areas are under ground and in sewers... so they are naturally going to be without power or much light.  

I think it will turn out amazing.