MS buying Obsidian

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Well from the sound of it (and given their resources) I'd say they're in the best position to actually get it right. From what they're saying here they're doing and inventing types of encoding and compressions forms, doing stuff to decrease latency etc. To me at least it seems like they're going to deliver the first extremely competent streaming service, something that would shock you in use. 

Maybe, we'll see. Encoding/decoding/latency stuff is going to be exactly what everyone else has been doing, so I wouldn't expect much from that. The biggest advantage is Microsoft has datacenters... a fuck ton of them. So the service could be launched worldwide on launch day unlike PlayStation Now. Though, of course, they probably won't be filling up every single DC they have with these new Xbox blades since, well, it requires space/power and not every datacenter is even listed publicly by Microsoft.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is actually a good thing. The company already looked like it was in taters.   It doesn't really do much harm to have them work for MS considering what they're current status is.

It doesn't work both ways because we already know they're releasing a console as normal as it's their bread and butter, and we also know the streaming blades are made of Xbox One S internals.   

Xbox is getting curb stomped in the console space....wait...lets drop our most profitable segment of our business (PC)... an area that we literally have a monopoly on and no real competition... a spac

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

Maybe, we'll see. Encoding/decoding/latency stuff is going to be exactly what everyone else has been doing, so I wouldn't expect much from that. The biggest advantage is Microsoft has datacenters... a fuck ton of them. So the service could be launched worldwide on launch day unlike PlayStation Now. Though, of course, they probably won't be filling up every single DC they have with these new Xbox blades since, well, it requires space/power and not every datacenter is even listed publicly by Microsoft.

Well again just going off of what they have said they've got one up and running as of right now in Quincy which is dead center Washington State, and after beta testing they're going to rollout worldwide in all of their data centers, that's specifically what they've stated. They can fit 24 blades in each one of their servers so that's 96 systems per rack according to their render and video. Their data center in Quincy alone is over 300 acres, so they have an absurd amount of space, that's 13,068,000 square feet. The footprint of a single rack housing 96 systems is about 4-5 square feet so you can imagine how much they can actually fit on site and I'm sure Quincy isn't even close to their largest datacenter.

This was confirmed to Business Insider during an interview with Phil Spencer, who simply said "No" when asked if the platform holder would make any money from sales of its upcoming console.

Oddly, when asked if that means Xbox is taking a loss, he answered: "I didn't answer it that way."

He later elaborated: "I don't want to get into all the numbers, but in aggregate you should think about the hardware part of the console business is not the money-making part of the business. The money-making part is in selling games."

MS knows this.  They have one more generation of traditional console hardware in them... and then they are done. :juggle: 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

MS knows this.  They have one more generation of traditional console hardware in them... and then they are done. :juggle: 

One for sure, possibly two. Next generation is going to be the beginning of the transitional phase. I'd say we're probably 15 years out from a full on rollup of dedicated hardware. 

We still haven't even eliminated optical media and digital purchasing is still not 1:1 with phsyical yet, there's a lot of time that needs to pass for these things to naturally change. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Well again just going off of what they have said they've got one up and running as of right now in Quincy which is dead center Washington State, and after beta testing they're going to rollout worldwide in all of their data centers, that's specifically what they've stated. They can fit 24 blades in each one of their servers so that's 96 systems per rack according to their render and video. Their data center in Quincy alone is over 300 acres, so they have an absurd amount of space, that's 13,068,000 square feet. The footprint of a single rack housing 96 systems is about 4-5 square feet so you can imagine how much they can actually fit on site and I'm sure Quincy isn't even close to their largest datacenter.

lol, it's not as easy as you think, and no they won't be deploying these in every data center because some of them aren't even public. I know how big data centers are, I've been in them more than I'd like, and a lot of Microsoft's data centers are a lot of the time filled to the brim with routers, switches, dedicated firewalls, load balancers, IPS, WAF, hyper visors (for Azure), storage, backup systems, management systems, UPS, and most of all a shit ton of servers for their biggest products like Office 365... and not to mention Xbox Live servers. We're talking about hypervisors and load balancing gear, shit even switching/routing gear, that are like literally 10s of U's.

These cabs require space and power and it's not unheard to find out that you can't deliver enough power or even bandwidth and have to rearchitect by expanding or build a sister DC. I'm sure they are picking the DCs with available space and power for their new product. It doesn't make sense to just cram a bunch of blades with One S consoles in them in every data center nor is it possible in every data center as I said above. Also, thinking that these are the only systems required for deploying something like this is ignorant. This new service will also require new networking gear, backup systems, storage, UPS, etc. You just don't go into a DC and its plug and play.

7 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

lol, it's not as easy as you think, and no they won't be deploying these in every data center because some of them aren't even public. I know how big data centers are, I've been in them more than I'd like, and a lot of Microsoft's data centers are a lot of the time filled to the brim with routers, switches, dedicated firewalls, load balancers, IPS, WAF, hyper visors (for Azure), storage, backup systems, management systems, UPS, and most of all a shit ton of servers for their biggest products like Office 365... and not to mention Xbox Live servers. We're talking about hypervisors and load balancing gear, shit even switching/routing gear, that are like literally 10s of U's.

These cabs require space and power and it's not unheard to find out that you can't deliver enough power or even bandwidth and have to rearchitect by expanding or build a sister DC. I'm sure they are picking the DCs with available space and power for their new product. It doesn't make sense to just cram a bunch of blades with One S consoles in them in every data center nor is it possible in every data center as I said above. Also, thinking that these are the only systems required for deploying something like this is ignorant. This new service will also require new networking gear, backup systems, storage, UPS, etc. You just don't go into a DC and its plug and play.

What makes you so confident that these places are at some kind of or even close to any kind of capacity and would have to make changes to accommodate this hardware and these services? They stated 54 data centers that this will deploy across and show the exact locations for deployment on a map of the world, so that's pretty public and entirely specific.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
37 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

What makes you so confident that these places are at some kind of or even close to any kind of capacity and would have to make changes to accommodate this hardware and these services? They stated 54 data centers that this will deploy across and show the exact locations for deployment on a map of the world, so that's pretty public and entirely specific.

I've been to a few Microsoft data centers and I know plenty of people that run and maintain their DCs locally. I've also been to a few other data centers outside of Microsoft. Have you ever been to a Microsoft data center and see how it operates or architected a new network from the bottom up... literally from layer 1 to 7? I didn't think so. They stated 54 because that's the only places their Azure cloud regions are. Trust me, they have more than that. I can already see some that aren't listed.

Edited by lynux3