So did we all misunderstand the Matrix?

"Once you find out about the Wachowski's coming out as trans, Matrix as an extremely clear trans story is SO OBVIOUS. That I never noticed those themes before i was really aware of the Trans community, and then seeing the real themes of the movie after knowing about the trans community literally blew my mind. "

Lilly Wachowski asks to reconsider the Matrix through the lens of transness: https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/...ider-the-matrix-through-the-lens-of-transness

Good article recontextualing the movie:

https://www.themarysue.com/decoding...the-matrix-as-a-transgender-coming-out-story/

Did 

This is the modern SJW take. Did we retrograde cavemen misunderstand the stories and themes?

2 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

A movie can be whatever you want it to mean to you. They are personal experiences.  

No. It can mean only one thing, and there is only one right opinion. Clearly you don't understand the subtle trans message in the matrix, and the TOXIC MASCULINITY in Fight Club.

Edited by Beta Bux Romeo
1 minute ago, Beta Bux Romeo said:

No. It can mean only one thing, and there is only one right opinion. Clearly you don't understand the subtle trans message in the matrix, and the TOXIC MASCULINITY in Fight Club.

Don't give a shit. Not rewatching them. 

Neo wasn't trans.  Switch was.  The studio made the Wachowskis pull back on Switch's character in the movie because, in the real world, she was a dude, but in the Matrix, she was the character you see in the final cut.  That's why her name was "Switch".

Maybe the Matrix Online retconned Neo or whatever, but the original clearly wasn't written to make Neo trans when one of his allies clearly was.

The bit about Fight Club is 100% true.  Chuck Palahniuk talks about it, though he doesn't use the term "toxic masculinity" because it wasn't invented yet.

Wait a minute, I thought that it was obvious that Fight Club was definitely making a statement about masculinity being toxic.

It clearly shows it showing both extremes. Men are not masculine enough, and then they over-correct themselves and become a bunch of mindless, thoughtless, savages who can't think for themselves, probably because they never want to let their masculinity down, and they are trying to appease a god-like masculine figure..........who isn't even real (Tyler Durden).

I thought all of this was quite apparent.

Glengarry Glen Ross is also about masculinity and how it can be over-abused in specific settings.

The Matrix is about AI and Fight Club is about a cult. There's no evident post modernism or leftism in either of those regardless of what the authors' personal ideology is. They're both awesome flicks. 

You're looking too much into it

Edited by Vini
2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Wait a minute, I thought that it was obvious that Fight Club was definitely making a statement about masculinity being toxic.

It clearly shows it showing both extremes. Men are not masculine enough, and then they over-correct themselves and become a bunch of mindless, thoughtless, savages who can't think for themselves, probably because they never want to let their masculinity down, and they are trying to appease a god-like masculine figure..........who isn't even real (Tyler Durden).

I thought all of this was quite apparent.

Glengarry Glen Ross is also about masculinity and how it can be over-abused in specific settings.

Calling a part of human nature toxic is to deny nature itself. 

Just now, Cookester15 said:

Calling a part of human nature toxic is to deny nature itself. 

Did you go back in time to when you were 13, and make that quote up?

Or was that a line from the movie. lol

Then go dry meat the old way, and then give your back teeth a workout by trying to bit into said meat. Maybe you'll start evolving in reverse and grow back your wisdom teeth.

Fight club is not a critisism of masculinity, it's a critisism of a shitty nerfed consumerist culture that can push masculinity to its extreme

I thought this was obvious

Edited by Vini
12 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Did you go back in time to when you were 13, and make that quote up?

Or was that a line from the movie. lol

Then go dry meat the old way, and then give your back teeth a workout by trying to bit into said meat. Maybe you'll start evolving in reverse and grow back your wisdom teeth.

I did just get back from a hunting trip yesterday, gotta skin my deer tonight and let it age a bit before I cut it up. 

2 hours ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

The bit about Fight Club is 100% true.  Chuck Palahniuk talks about it, though he doesn't use the term "toxic masculinity" because it wasn't invented yet.

Rescinding this last part as I went looking for the interview that he said it in.  Chuck has spoken about what is now considered "toxic masculinity", but he rejects the term.  The term and what he was touching on are sort of...compatible?  Adjacent?  But not the same, and not what he was writing about in Fight Club.