RDR2 OT **Mark Spoilers**

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The people at giant bomb who would fawn over these type of Rockstar games have really begun to turn sour on this.   And its very similar to what you describe, they don't want to hate it, the

Lol the fact that theres an even a part 2 to the epilogue is kind of nuts. The game is much longer than I expected. The last dozen or so missions i've done have all been pretty bombastic and elaborate

Got to play a few more hours. This world truly is by a long shot the most realised and living, breathing world every created in gaming. There are so many cool little moments and the way there is so mu

Posted Images

The conversation mechanic with the NPC can sometimes be pointless. Like it you cycle though characters in the same room, and go back to somebody you already spoke with multiple times, you can now greet them again with a slightly different back and forth conversation. It makes the conversation stuff feel broken.

• Sad 1

Finally got to start it last night. Finished Chapter 1 and did some of Chapter 2. The game is incredibly impressive in what it is setting out to do. Slow, methodical and an incredible attention to detail. Still incredibly early so don't have too much to say yet but the gameplay is very Rockstar (for better of worse). The world creation is definitely a step above most others so far but the gameplay most definitely is not. The menus and UI especially are average to say the least and it isn't anywhere near as fluid as other open world games so far. 

The crafting and hunting mechanics in this game are even more laborious than they were in RDR. Every little action from skinning to placing the carcass on your horse takes so much time. Then you have to worry about the quality of the pelts, which have been mostly shit for me so far even when using the special arrows.

Edited by Twinblade
12 minutes ago, -GD- said:

Based on this thread, and what some of my friends have said about the game, I will wait to next year. I barely have time to finish 6 hour indie games now lol. 

Yeah thats reasonable.  Im still early but so far i don't see it being anywhere near as magical as RDR was for its time (easily one of my favorite games of last gen). Im just getting this '1 step forward 2 steps backward' type of feeling with many of its gameplay systems and mechanics.

Edited by Twinblade

Finally started it last night. Just finished the initial bits and now packing up and moving camp.

Game is fantastic., the level of detail in the world is astounding. There's definitely some getting used to the Rockstar style of gameplay...doesn't help that they only release one game a gen these days.  Not really sure where I stand yet on the lengthy animations/level of management that seems to be required. It seems like a lot early on but maybe that's just cause they're throwing so many systems/tutorials your way. Will wait for the world to open up before I judge.

Speaking of the amount of stuff they throw at you...I already forgot how to open my Journal...anyone know off hand?

27 minutes ago, Casual said:

Finally started it last night. Just finished the initial bits and now packing up and moving camp.

Game is fantastic., the level of detail in the world is astounding. There's definitely some getting used to the Rockstar style of gameplay...doesn't help that they only release one game a gen these days.  Not really sure where I stand yet on the lengthy animations/level of management that seems to be required. It seems like a lot early on but maybe that's just cause they're throwing so many systems/tutorials your way. Will wait for the world to open up before I judge.

Speaking of the amount of stuff they throw at you...I already forgot how to open my Journal...anyone know off hand?

I think it's one of the buttons on the d pad

2 hours ago, Casual said:

Press and Hold the left on the D-pad.

2 hours ago, Boss said:

I think it's one of the buttons on the d pad

30 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Press and Hold the left on the D-pad.

Thanks!

Swore I did that but maybe it was something different contextually when I did. 

Got to play a few more hours. This world truly is by a long shot the most realised and living, breathing world every created in gaming. There are so many cool little moments and the way there is so much story of random NPCs told just by exploring and returning to locations.

With all that said I have some serious issues with the game. I've spoken about the control and the UI but it goes beyond that. I do believe they went way too far into the realistic aspects of things. The game has zero respect for you time. Animations for every minor action, actions you need to repeat countless times over the game. Hunting is a chore cause you travel far out then can't take back more than 1 medium/large animal. There are so many limitation which are taking me out of the experience when their goal was to keep me in it. Do I really need to open each 4 seperate drawers but holding a button 4x. 

From a story perspective I am also feeling a bit of a disjoint between the way I'm allowed to play Arthur in the open world sections to how he is in forced story missions. I'm mostly trying to be good and fair, help ppl out, rob ppl that are assholes and so on and his conversations and general attitude towards general folk is very nice, then I get a story mission and everything is scripted and Arthur turns into this other guy to how I'm playing him. Feels like I'm playing two different characters and in a way makes me just want to play him how the game is sort of forcing me to play him. 

• Upvote 2
21 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Got to play a few more hours. This world truly is by a long shot the most realised and living, breathing world every created in gaming. There are so many cool little moments and the way there is so much story of random NPCs told just by exploring and returning to locations.

With all that said I have some serious issues with the game. I've spoken about the control and the UI but it goes beyond that. I do believe they went way too far into the realistic aspects of things. The game has zero respect for you time. Animations for every minor action, actions you need to repeat countless times over the game. Hunting is a chore cause you travel far out then can't take back more than 1 medium/large animal. There are so many limitation which are taking me out of the experience when their goal was to keep me in it. Do I really need to open each 4 seperate drawers but holding a button 4x. 

From a story perspective I am also feeling a bit of a disjoint between the way I'm allowed to play Arthur in the open world sections to how he is in forced story missions. I'm mostly trying to be good and fair, help ppl out, rob ppl that are assholes and so on and his conversations and general attitude towards general folk is very nice, then I get a story mission and everything is scripted and Arthur turns into this other guy to how I'm playing him. Feels like I'm playing two different characters and in a way makes me just want to play him how the game is sort of forcing me to play him. 

i keep hearing the same stuff from others - that it's a brilliantly designed world that comes at the expense of fun. at this point, i won't even buy it. i'll borrow it from a friend. 

2 minutes ago, -GD- said:

i keep hearing the same stuff from others - that it's a brilliantly designed world that comes at the expense of fun. at this point, i won't even buy it. i'll borrow it from a friend. 

Yeah definitely borrow it first at least to see how you like it. I can imagine ppl liking everything I am disliking but for me it is just a few steps too far. Especially in such a giant game. It might be one of the 'best' games of the year but it wouldn't even be in my top 10 most fun games this year so far. 

1 hour ago, -GD- said:

Games plenty of fun don't listen to anyone just try it for yourself 

The world and details are great to experience, but the game is definitely not what i'd consider to be 'fun'. Even if you ignore the tedious mechanics, the core combat isn't that enjoyable and is more clunky than anything else.

Edited by Twinblade
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

the core combat isn't that enjoyable and is more clunky than anything else.

Did you change the dead zone on the aiming to 0? That completely changed my opinion on the combat being clunky.

• Upvote 1

There are some really hilarious random moments that are surprising since they aren't indicated at by a marker or anything. I was riding around and saw a guy cleaning the horseshoe of his horse, so horse was still and the guy behind the horse holding the horse's hind leg up cleaning it. I decided to Greet him as I rode by and so I shouted out to him and he got distracted and looked at me and began to talk while continuing to clean the horse's foot, mid convo this horse kicks out and smashes the guy in the head and kills him and gallops off. I get off and loot the body and continue on with my day.