RDR2 OT **Mark Spoilers**

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The people at giant bomb who would fawn over these type of Rockstar games have really begun to turn sour on this.   And its very similar to what you describe, they don't want to hate it, the

Lol the fact that theres an even a part 2 to the epilogue is kind of nuts. The game is much longer than I expected. The last dozen or so missions i've done have all been pretty bombastic and elaborate

Got to play a few more hours. This world truly is by a long shot the most realised and living, breathing world every created in gaming. There are so many cool little moments and the way there is so mu

Posted Images

There was already a video online of people finding a Klan initiation meeting, and fire burning. But I allowed the full scene to play out to its intended conclusion, and it was pretty funny.

I took it a step further and went ahead and took care of these 19th century Incels

Also, did you guys find the first clue for the serial killer? Its on the path from Valentine to the camp, maybe it only appears at night.

Semi long story/experience.

So I was riding along exploring the south of the map when I hear yelling and arguing coming from a homestead (not a stranger mission or anything). I stop to investigate and quietly enter the house and see/hear a drunk father arguing with his son about money and the son pulling his weight. The son arguing back saying the father would just drink or gamble it away and that's why mum left. The father is about the strike the son but the son walk off, out of the room right where I was standing (in the hallway). Instantly he gets a shock and the starts yelling to his dad that someone is in the house. The drunk father comes running, telling his son to hide in his room and starts yelling and threatening at me and I sort of ignored him seeing where it's gonna go but things quickly escalated and he pulls a gun on me and starts firing so I obviously fire back and kill him. Now the son in the other room hears the shots and starts screaming and crying, 'Nooo Pa, no', and real proper fear crying, I felt bad but thought since I had come this far I may as well loot the place and get something out of all this. I investigate and find a letter to the son from his mother and as I enter the room where the son is he is inconsolable, saying 'Why? Why would you do this', 'Pa, oh pa' and 'Just take what you want and leave, pleasseee', etc. So I see a cigarette card on his desk and pick it up and his cries escalate even further, 'Please, please dont take that, my mother left me it, it's all I got, please' and in that moment I felt so much like shit and the guilt had built up in me so much that I couldn't handle what just happened to this boy and what I did so I reloaded a previous save. 

The point of all that is that I have never felt this while playing a game. Happy, Sadness, etc, sure. But actual guilt for actions that I chose? Never. Cause it's just a game... and yet. The sequence of events, the fact it was just from my exploring, my actions to stop, intervene then panic and act as I did and most importantly just how well that story of that family was crafted from conversation and environments. Not to mention the voice acting and just how natural all of it felt and sounded to the events that unfolded, from the arguing to the shock of a home invader to the shooting. It was unbelievable. The game might have it's short comings but moments like these are unparalleled. 

I have other smaller and some even funny experiences but that was the highlight of the game for me so far. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, madmaltese said:

So I was riding along exploring the south of the map when I hear yelling and arguing coming from a homestead (not a stranger mission or anything). I stop to investigate and quietly enter the house and see/hear a drunk father arguing with his son about money and the son pulling his weight. The son arguing back saying the father would just drink or gamble it away and that's why mum left. The father is about the strike the son but the son walk off, out of the room right where I was standing (in the hallway). Instantly he gets a shock and the starts yelling to his dad that someone is in the house. The drunk father comes running, telling his son to hide in his room and starts yelling and threatening at me and I sort of ignored him seeing where it's gonna go but things quickly escalated and he pulls a gun on me and starts firing so I obviously fire back and kill him. Now the son in the other room hears the shots and starts screaming and crying, 'Nooo Pa, no', and real proper fear crying, I felt bad but thought since I had come this far I may as well loot the place and get something out of all this. I investigate and find a letter to the son from his mother and as I enter the room where the son is he is inconsolable, saying 'Why? Why would you do this', 'Pa, oh pa' and 'Just take what you want and leave, pleasseee', etc. So I see a cigarette card on his desk and pick it up and his cries escalate even further, 'Please, please dont take that, my mother left me it, it's all I got, please' and in that moment I felt so much like shit and the guilt had built up in me so much that I couldn't handle what just happened to this boy and what I did so I reloaded a previous save. 

The point of all that is that I have never felt this while playing a game. Happy, Sadness, etc, sure. But actual guilt for actions that I chose? Never. Cause it's just a game... and yet. The sequence of events, the fact it was just from my exploring, my actions to stop, intervene then panic and act as I did and most importantly just how well that story of that family was crafted from conversation and environments. Not to mention the voice acting and just how natural all of it felt and sounded to the events that unfolded, from the arguing to the shock of a home invader to the shooting. It was unbelievable. The game might have it's short comings but moments like these are unparalleled. 

I have other smaller and some even funny experiences but that was the highlight of the game for me so far. 

Yea the game's on another level I can't even understand how so many outcomes were scripted in any given random encounter

Edited by Vini
8 hours ago, madmaltese said:

So, I'm trying to think about what this classifies as, in terms of game development.

You walked in on an interactive cutscene. But it had A.I. in what the characters were going to do, and they coordinated their NPC A.I. with their voice acting.

And Arthur would have had specific voice acting for that scene (had you chosen to speak to them while it was happening).

Technically, all you did was walking into a house, shoot somebody, and then loot it. Because you walked into a small area, the developer knows what you may or may not do, and so they develop the interactive cutscene around that.  I wonder what the dad would say if you busted in there and shot the son, and then tried taking the cigarette card.

Too bad they don't have F5 and F9 Quick Save and Quick Load like a PC game, because I would spend 30 minutes running through the sequence again and again.

• Haha 1