The Quiet Man GS review - 2.0

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Ugh yeah they did...

THE BAD
 Simplistic, repetitive combat

I didn't say they didn't use the word, I said they didn't use it as a synonym for simple.

Simplistic implies something is overly simple in a negative way. It's a pejorative.

Now here's the relevant excerpt from the review about the game's combat:

In any case, it's quite fitting for the enemies to be the same cliched type repeated ad nauseam, because repetitiveness is the very nature of The Quiet Man's beat-em-up combat system. Brawling has what might generously be described as an arcade-like simplicity: one button to punch, one to kick, and one to dodge, plus a finishing move that can be triggered on occasion. It would be more accurate to call this rudimentary. Almost every battle boils down to a dull frenzy of button-mashing, as enemies rarely block, scarcely fight back, and practically never come at you more than one at a time. Though waves of 10 or even 20 must be defeated to clear a given room, they don't change their approach or vary their style, and mostly seem to stand around awaiting their turn to be vanquished. There's no way to vary your own attacks, either, which gives every encounter the air of a chore.

Simple, or overly simple that detracts from the experience?

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Ugh yeah they did...

THE BAD
 Simplistic, repetitive combat

"each of the handful of boss battles, though, kept me stuck for a long time, as I labored through dust-ups with enemies that seemed absurdly overpowered and virtually invulnerable to damage. Worse than simply losing these battles was how consistently vague they proved to be. "

it's not simple. in fact, Wildly uneven difficulty, was a con

the combat is simplistic, which is used appropriately, based on the content of the review. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Hot Sauce said:

I didn't say they didn't use the word, I said they didn't use it as a synonym for simple.

Simplistic implies something is overly simple in a negative way. It's a pejorative.

Now here's the relevant excerpt from the review about the game's combat:

Simple, or overly simple that detracts from the experience?

Simplistic would mean the combat was complex or deep but presents itself in a simple way, that's not at all how it's represented in this review. It's presented as boring and repetitive which lends itself to being contextually simple.

You're 100% wrong chief, he used it as a synonym for simple. 

"Brawling has what might generously be described as an arcade-like simplicity: one button to punch, one to kick, and one to dodge, plus a finishing move that can be triggered on occasion. It would be more accurate to call this rudimentary. Almost every battle boils down to a dull frenzy of button-mashing, as enemies rarely block, scarcely fight back, and practically never come at you more than one at a time."

Edited by DynamiteCop!