Dragon Quest XI is fucking awesome

Ok, I know what you guys were talking about now... Shit got real, and the cutscene was fucking awesome and even though I still had the possibility in the back of my mind, it still kind of surprised me just how quick that all went down.  Fuck though.. that scene was badass.. and I loved how they handled the transition.  I saved on a different file so I could watch that shit again :whew: 

This is the best RPG of the generation right here man.  I LOVE this game! :wow2: 

• Upvote 1
Just now, madmaltese said:

Are you saying it has a good story? 

I'm not done it yet.. but there's definitely some twists (which depending on your familiarity with the series might seem more or less obvious) but again I'll used the word traditional.  The story isn't convoluted so that's a plus.  But a major event just happened in my game and I kinda didn't see one aspect of it coming.

When I'm done the game I'll give my thoughts on everything.

Just now, Remij_ said:

I'm not done it yet.. but there's definitely some twists (which depending on your familiarity with the series might seem more or less obvious) but again I'll used the word traditional.  The story isn't convoluted so that's a plus.  But a major event just happened in my game and I kinda didn't see one aspect of it coming.

When I'm done the game I'll give my thoughts on everything.

Keen to hear what you say. 

Have you by any chance played Persona 5 as a means of comparison?

35 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Are you saying it has a good story? 

It does but it takes time to develop and time for you to appreciate it. I didn't care so much at first but I've grown to love the journey and characters. It's less melodramatic than let's say Final Fantasy but it has it's moments, and it helps that the dialogue and voice actors are excellent.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, talamatross said:

I got the Platinum last week. It’s definitely the best Dragon Quest game and  in the top 3 JRPGs of the last decade, maybe last 2 decades.

I want a DQVIII remaster after this. (I never finished it) But one that has some actual effort put it in, and a fast forward system a la FFXII Zodiac Age.

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

Ok, I know what you guys were talking about now... Shit got real, and the cutscene was fucking awesome and even though I still had the possibility in the back of my mind, it still kind of surprised me just how quick that all went down.  Fuck though.. that scene was badass.. and I loved how they handled the transition.  I saved on a different file so I could watch that shit again :whew: 

This is the best RPG of the generation right here man.  I LOVE this game! :wow2: 

DQXI checks all the marks of a great old school JRPG. This is the closest RPG experience similar to FFIV I got in decades. It's an epic adventure and a mechanically sound RPG, well paced and has a great story.

Old school JRPG fans should not sleep on this. 

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Ramza said:

What? The later half is the best part.

There are some good story moments but the pacing and gameplay become less interesting.  

the sense of discovery and exploration becomes almost non existent. You’re no longer coming across new towns and areas and are instead just backtracking through all of the same ones.

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

There are some good story moments but the pacing and gameplay become less interesting.  

Reveal hidden contents

the sense of discovery and exploration becomes almost non existent. You’re no longer coming across new towns and areas and are instead just backtracking through all of the same ones.

True, but I like the world flipping on it's head and there's still some new locales. No new towns seems like a wasted opportunity though.

It just isn't an issue for me. The game is stronger in other aspects during the later half and I'm just totally hooked to it's gameplay now. I'm still far from finished, nor did it ever started to drag.