Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Goukosan

YouTube now available on Switch.

Recommended Posts

Yea yea... its YouTube... on its millionth device :dame:

 

 

At least its not a shitty version of the YouTube App. 

 

Supports your Google Play Movies/TV purchases and rental library. 


 

Supports 360 degree videos. 

 

 

 

Comparison to  4th gen Apple TV. 

 

"Currently testing it out with a Google Play rental I've made (A Quiet Place). Via the app it delivers not only full 1080p, but full 5.1 PCM surround sound as well. It's even better than the Apple TV app which limits it to 720p and stereo sound." 

 

Apple TV (4th gen) 

zkehVM3.jpg

 

 

Switch

 

BSVOIme.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh, this is a big deal.  Don't downplay it.  This thing should have had Youtube day 1 obviously... but better late than never.  The Switch is a better device today than it was yesterday :glad: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Uh, this is a big deal.  Don't downplay it.  This thing should have had Youtube day 1 obviously... but better late than never.  The Switch is a better device today than it was yesterday :glad: 

It would be a bigger deal if they updated to firmware to allow the Tegra X1 to utilize its video decoder to its full capacity (4K video out). 

 

The Shield TV (Tegra X1) outputs 4K video without breaking a sweat.... Nintendo should open that up for the Hulu and YouTube app. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

It would be a bigger deal if they updated to firmware to allow the Tegra X1 to utilize its video decoder to its full capacity (4K video out). 

 

The Shield TV (Tegra X1) outputs 4K video without breaking a sweat.... Nintendo should open that up for the Hulu and YouTube app. 

 

 

I don't disagree with you there.  I think Nintendo's content to just have basic functionality though, as usual.  Which is kind of a shame, the Shield is a great device.. Nvidia should really try to convince Nintendo to turn it into the complete set top box.  Even offer Nvidia Now on it.  That would be pretty fucking sweet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I don't disagree with you there.  I think Nintendo's content to just have basic functionality though, as usual.  Which is kind of a shame, the Shield is a great device.. Nvidia should really try to convince Nintendo to turn it into the complete set top box.  Even offer Nvidia Now on it.  That would be pretty fucking sweet.

That's right... never thought about that.   

 

and Nvidia already did all the ground work with Nvidia now.   Nintendo can use that tech as the backbone for a potential streaming service if they wanted to..... or just simply allow Nvidia now on Switch. 

 

Or Allow XCloud :bena:

Edited by Goukosan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

That's right... never thought about that.   

 

and Nvidia already did all the ground work with Nvidia now.   Nintendo can use that tech as the backbone for a potential streaming service if they wanted to..... or just simply allow Nvidia now on Switch. 

 

Or Allow XCloud :bena:

Yea.  Nvidia could really help Nintendo step up their multi-media game, and they could offer Geforce Now (not Nvidia.. my bad lol) and they'd have a pretty killer little box for movies, streaming, gaming... and portable on top of it.

 

If Nintendo really wanted to.. they could make it a complete must own system.  Imagine full fledged virtual console support for all Nintendo systems up to the N64, and then select Gamecube/Wii titles on top of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yea.  Nvidia could really help Nintendo step up their multi-media game, and they could offer Geforce Now (not Nvidia.. my bad lol) and they'd have a pretty killer little box for movies, streaming, gaming... and portable on top of it.

 

If Nintendo really wanted to.. they could make it a complete must own system.  Imagine full fledged virtual console support for all Nintendo systems up to the N64, and then select Gamecube/Wii titles on top of it?

The old model for VC is dead. 

 

 Subscription based VC is the new model. 

 

I think they eventually plan to open it up slowly (not 100% like we hope). 

 

Nintendo needed the Switch to be successful as a game console first (that's their bread and butter) and then now they can start adding/opening up the system  for media/streaming etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

The old model for VC is dead. 

 

 Subscription based VC is the new model. 

 

I think they eventually plan to open it up slowly (not 100% like we hope). 

 

Nintendo needed the Switch to be successful as a game console first (that's their bread and butter) and then now they can start adding/opening up the system  for media/streaming etc. 

Yea, you're right about that.  The old model is certainly dead.. and they will likely slowly open it up.. but that's no fucking fun.  At this point, Nintendo faithful should already have amassed a huge library of VC titles from all the different systems which carries over.  Damn them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×