Just this year Insomniac said that a Xbox One X patch for Sunset Overdrive wasn't in the cards at this point

https://www.resetera.com/threads/q-era-insomniac-games-discusses-resistance-ratchet-and-clank-sunset-overdrive-spyro-and-more.33176/#post-6202776

Question #12 – Member: Shpeshal Ed 

“Can we pretty, pretty please get an Xbox One X enhancement patch for Sunset Overdrive? A game that gorgeous deserves to be played in the best possible way!”

James Stevenson, Community Director: Realistically it’s not in the cards at this point. Our engine code is several years developed from Sunset Overdrive, and to re-open that project and try to piece it in there, on a new piece of hardware, plus all of the testing and resources going into it, isn’t something we’re able to do in house. Right now everyone here is focused on Marvel’s Spider-Man.

Kind of interesting.  I wonder if the game will even get an Xbox One X patch at this point?  Surely you'd think if they spent the time to port and test the game for PC, that they'd throw lemmings a bone... but the utter silence from MS on this game suggests that it's not happening.  Insomniac either found the time after Spider-man, or they had help from another studio to port the game to PC, and MS allowed it so long as they released the game on the Windows Store as well. 

Another reason for no X patch from Insomniac would be to maximize PC sales as it would be (presumably) the only place to play 60fps and 4K.

Anyway, a lot of people on ERA are pretty happy with the price point and that it's getting a Steam release, so hopefully it does well for Insomniac.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Huh? I've been using it as material for ownage going on a decade now.

You mean like this right?          

TLHBO

Posted Images

By the logic of your post a PC version shouldn't exist.

James Stevenson, Community Director: Realistically it’s not in the cards at this point. Our engine code is several years developed from Sunset Overdrive, and to re-open that project and try to piece it in there, on a new piece of hardware, plus all of the testing and resources going into it, isn’t something we’re able to do in house. 

:cosby2:

21 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

By the logic of your post a PC version shouldn't exist.

James Stevenson, Community Director: Realistically it’s not in the cards at this point. Our engine code is several years developed from Sunset Overdrive, and to re-open that project and try to piece it in there, on a new piece of hardware, plus all of the testing and resources going into it, isn’t something we’re able to do in house. 

:cosby2:

Did you read my post?  Where I say that perhaps Insomniac found time after Spider-man or near the end of Spider-man, and that maybe they had help from an outside studio?  Maybe they didn't want to release an Xbox One X patch as to incentivize people to buy the PC version, which they were putting work into porting?  Did you not read where I said that maybe MS allowed them to do so as long as they released a Windows Store version and perhaps other than that wanted nothing to do with it?  I mean... a Steam release day 1 almost points to MS not giving enough of a shit about it and just wanting to make whatever else they can from it.

Insomniac owns the IP and MS already ruled out any sequel for Xbox... so the franchise is just dead weight to them at this point.  Not worth supporting on X1X... where most of it's use will be from people who already own the game.  It's not going to sell X1X's... and the game isn't going to do gangbusters.

If the game really IS releasing this Friday (we know it exists and is coming)... and there WAS an X1X patch in the works... MS would have said as much at their X018 event... Which leads me to think that MS had as little to do with this as possible and that there's no X1X patch planned.

41 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Did you read my post?  Where I say that perhaps Insomniac found time after Spider-man or near the end of Spider-man, and that maybe they had help from an outside studio?  Maybe they didn't want to release an Xbox One X patch as to incentivize people to buy the PC version, which they were putting work into porting?  Did you not read where I said that maybe MS allowed them to do so as long as they released a Windows Store version and perhaps other than that wanted nothing to do with it?  I mean... a Steam release day 1 almost points to MS not giving enough of a shit about it and just wanting to make whatever else they can from it.

Insomniac owns the IP and MS already ruled out any sequel for Xbox... so the franchise is just dead weight to them at this point.  Not worth supporting on X1X... where most of it's use will be from people who already own the game.  It's not going to sell X1X's... and the game isn't going to do gangbusters.

If the game really IS releasing this Friday (we know it exists and is coming)... and there WAS an X1X patch in the works... MS would have said as much at their X018 event... Which leads me to think that MS had as little to do with this as possible and that there's no X1X patch planned.

Microsoft is doing the development I assume similar to how they updated Quantum Break. THQ Nordic is their PC publisher outside of the Windows Store so this is making more sense that it's actually them directly handling the game.

If that's the case the game will undoubtedly be Play Anywhere and have an X update.

1 hour ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

$20 on STEAM :D 

Damn. Lemmings kept touting this as one of the last reasons to own an xbox too since it was one of the few unique games they had.

I'd get it but it was kind of balls. The missions were all "kill 10 of these things while grinding around" got repetitive as hell.

Literally no point to it after seeing what Insomniac did with Spider-Man :smugd:

15 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Microsoft is doing the development I assume similar to how they updated Quantum Break. THQ Nordic is their PC publisher outside of the Windows Store so this is making more sense that it's actually them directly handling the game.

If that's the case the game will undoubtedly be Play Anywhere and have an X update.

And so?  Them directly handling the game?  I wouldn't be so sure of that.  I mean, you use Quantum Break as an example but that was a game that was being ported to PC and wasn't even going to get an X1X patch until a single person on the team decided to take matters into his own hands and do it.. lmao.  MS showed no interest in updating that game... a game which, like Sunset OD, they don't have much interest in returning to in the future.

I feel like if this was a thing MS was really pushing for, then we would have heard about it already.  They would have announced it and made at least a bit of a deal out of it.

I'm gonna laugh my fucking ass off if it's not X1X updated though :D 

5 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

And so?  Them directly handling the game?  I wouldn't be so sure of that.  I mean, you use Quantum Break as an example but that was a game that was being ported to PC and wasn't even going to get an X1X patch until a single person on the team decided to take matters into his own hands and do it.. lmao.  MS showed no interest in updating that game... a game which, like Sunset OD, they don't have much interest in returning to in the future.

I feel like if this was a thing MS was really pushing for, then we would have heard about it already.  They would have announced it and made at least a bit of a deal out of it.

I'm gonna laugh my fucking ass off if it's not X1X updated though :D 

Why would you laugh ? It's like the sneak MEA patch that's actually good ...but for what purpose .

1 minute ago, Jon2B said:

Why would you laugh ? It's like the sneak MEA patch that's actually good ...but for what purpose .

Because it wouldn't make any sense... lmao

If they're fucking around making a PC version, it's literally nothing to update the game on X.  It would be funny because it's like a slap to the face of those who've been asking for it since before the X even released lmmao.