Xbox One turns 5 years old this week. What would you rate it as a platform?

1 hour ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It's very simple, they've proactively rectified any criticism leveraged against the platform using community feedback at every turn. They uprooted their entire vision for the platform to appease their consumer base. They've maintained the best network, introduced the best controller, introduced the best services, introduced accessibility for the disabled, rekindled the appeal for independent developers, are making efforts to get more Japanese support, went so far as to create an entirely new console within the gen to quell the need for the compute ailing of the original system while also ensuring it's the best system on the market, also garnering the largest amount of developer support for a mid-generation system. They're introducing what is shaping up to be the best streaming platform available and have gone even further to acquire like 7 new development studios on top of the 8 or so they already have to quell concerns with first party output. Now this generation has not been perfect by a long shot but the steps taken to better it from where it began have been numerous and massive.

Yes a lot of this will bear fruit next-gen, that's unfortunate but the steps they've taken and continue to have also ensured benefits in the present. I want to see more games from them, I'm not concerned about it though because unlike most of you I don't see a game as a number and then disregard it based upon the views and opinions of others. Quantum Break was one of my favorite games this generation, there's been a lasting appeal to that regardless of the way it's labeled.  Sea of Thieves while not everyones cup of tea provided me with hundreds of hours of unadulterated fun with friends and strangers in a very unique setting and gameplay environment. But what do you guys see? A number, and then rinse and repeat disregard. 

Xbox is doing just fine without the cynical views of the outside world, we're doing just fine with our console regardless of the fanatical psychotics like Bodycount flip flopping around for a popularity contest crushing under the pressure of others. There's so much AAA third party output these days that even if Microsoft releases a game and it's not for you there's like 15 other things releasing in the same window of time to choose from. There's no lack of games to play or experiences to have, my Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro get almost split down the middle usage. So no I'm not going to give you a score just as I wouldn't for PlayStation 4 this generation because it's far more complex than just a simple number can account for. 

so basically yeah you want everything found in an ms pr statement short of mau and global miles driven in forza, with bulletpoints that range from ambiguous to debatable to hollow to bullshit. the OP sets out to present an objective look at concrete numbers and results only.

when you have to stop mid stream and qualify your rebuttal with "Yes a lot of this will bear fruit next-gen," youve lost the plot.  this thread is asking for an evaluation of the current gen video game platform called the xbox one, the life of which comprises the past 5 years up to today.

and youve said nothing to address how the data presented in the OP is being negatively positioned. you like quantum and sea of thieves - that's great, youre a special snowflake. but the review scores are what they are, and theyre presented here with practically no commentary.

youre beef isnt so much that ive spun thing to look negative, its that i didnt spin it to look positive.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Q: "Is Xbox One good?"     A: Loaded question. Not happening, bud.      

i made a similar thread last year and the gamerankings screenshot is virtually identical      

Just wait for the Deeno Math™.  It's coming.  Can you hear it?  

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Translation: I'm a Xbox fanboy and love everything MS are doing.

300 hours in Sea of Thieves. Kill yourself. :kaz: 

This is why I really couldn't give two shits about the views and opinions from the likes of people like you or most anyone on this board. You're a time filler where I can be unfiltered and that's about the extent of your value. A time filler made up of morons who couldn't be bothered to actually articulate any valid reasoning or thoughts but would rather just shit post.

Maybe you should kill yourself, I'm sure in all your drug binges you've thoroughly considered it.

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

This is why I really couldn't give two shits about the views and opinions from the likes of people like you or most anyone on this board. You're a time filler where I can be unfiltered and that's about the extent of your value. A time filler made up of morons who couldn't be bothered to actually articulate any valid reasoning or thoughts but would rather just shit post.

Maybe you should kill yourself, I'm sure in all your drug binges you've thoroughly considered it.

Three fucking hundred hours. :kaz: 

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Not just that, you don't deem all of these things worthy of even being considered but will drown yourself in heaps of VR trash. I mean come on man. 

That VR trash you are talking about scored on par or higher than Sea of Thieves but I thought you weren't judging games by scores anyway? What happened, have you played them all, or are you LIMITING yourself? :mj:

It plays both ways you moron, don't try to act all high and mighty because you really loved some flop that no one else likes. Fuck off. :kaz: 

6 minutes ago, Ramza said:

That VR trash you are talking about scored on par or higher than Sea of Thieves but I thought you weren't judging games by scores anyway? What happened, have you played them all, or are you LIMITING yourself? :mj:

It plays both ways you moron, don't try to act all high and mighty because you really loved some flop that no one else likes. Fuck off. :kaz: 

Did I strike a chord there with your blatant hypocrisy? Most of this stuff you play are indie level efforts, not any kind of footnote in the gaming industry and I don't even mean because VR has low adoption, I mean because if they were not VR no one would take a second look at them. 

Shooty Fruity? Sprint Vector? Fucking really... This is like Android/IoS gaming... :hest:

Edited by DynamiteCop!
1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Did I strike a chord there with your blatant hypocrisy? Most of this stuff you play are indie level efforts, not any kind of footnote in the gaming industry and I don't even mean because VR has low adoption, I mean because if they were not VR no one would take a second look at them. 

And in what way is that supposed to make Sea of Thieves looks any good? :mj:

I can think of a few dozens indie games this gen that shit on Sea of Thieves, VR or not. It's not hard at all. :D  

For me it's probably the only system I ever regret purchasing.

360 was my main platform last gen and while PS4 was already my main platform this gen when I got my Xbox One I didn't expect it to be as shit as it was.

Initially bought it for SO, Halo 5 and Gears and was disappointed with all of them in comparison to their predecessors. SO was my most disappointing Insomniac game and Halo 5 and Gears 4 were both probably the least I have enjoyed in their respective franchises. 

Shortly after that MS announced that I basically bought my xbox for nothing as I don't need it to play any MS game moving forwards. So great....

So for me it was a gigantic fail in the context of this gen. However MS lining themselves up to be great next gen and thankfully won't need an Xbox. 

Nobody, in 2013, thought that the Xbox was going to have a massive first-party problem.

And they sure as hell didn't know that the first-party drought would begin sometime after 2014.

Selling a $500 launch console was a mistake, and them announcing TWO revisions at the same time just reeked of desperation, and it ultimately sent the wrong message to consumers.

What's the message here? "We know that the launch unit seems underpowered compared to the PS4, so here's a TEMPORARY STOP-GAP solution for 2016 that will cost $300-$400, but we are also not confident in this version going head to head with the base-PS4 so NEXT YEAR we will really bring out a true revision next year"

"Oh and by the way, we don't have any first party exclusives coming anytime soon, and the second-party deals we booked have either been cancelled, or they were absolute garbage games that scored below 70 on metacritic."

I mean, how is that not one of the biggest marketing mistakes in video game history?

That stretch from late 2015, through summer 2016, through winter 2017 just killed any hopes for the console. Phil Spencer and his team could not have managed that any worse.

Edited by jehurey
2 hours ago, Ramza said:

I will at the right time. STFU :D 

I also waited for Xbox One... sure glad I did. Almost bought one for D4, Cuphead and Scalebound. :kaz: 

smart move.

this is what happens when you jump in too soon :pavarotti:

KYJMR8U.png&key=244de93c6ef5aea060ef71d6

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Quad Damage said:

smart move.

this is what happens when you jump in too soon :pavarotti:

KYJMR8U.png&key=244de93c6ef5aea060ef71d6

That fucking list. 3 cancelled projects, one expired timed exclusive and another game still in production.:fatcruise:

vs 'another souls game'. What a dumbass of legendary proportion. :mj:

3 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It's very simple, they've proactively rectified any criticism leveraged against the platform using community feedback at every turn. They uprooted their entire vision for the platform to appease their consumer base. They've maintained the best network, introduced the best controller, introduced the best services, introduced accessibility for the disabled, rekindled the appeal for independent developers, are making efforts to get more Japanese support, went so far as to create an entirely new console within the gen to quell the need for the compute ailing of the original system while also ensuring it's the best system on the market, also garnering the largest amount of developer support for a mid-generation system. They're introducing what is shaping up to be the best streaming platform available and have gone even further to acquire like 7 new development studios on top of the 8 or so they already have to quell concerns with first party output. Now this generation has not been perfect by a long shot but the steps taken to better it from where it began have been numerous and massive.

Yes a lot of this will bear fruit next-gen, that's unfortunate but the steps they've taken and continue to have also ensured benefits in the present. I want to see more games from them, I'm not concerned about it though because unlike most of you I don't see a game as a number and then disregard it based upon the views and opinions of others. Quantum Break was one of my favorite games this generation, there's been a lasting appeal to that regardless of the way it's labeled.  Sea of Thieves while not everyones cup of tea provided me with hundreds of hours of unadulterated fun with friends and strangers in a very unique setting and gameplay environment. But what do you guys see? A number, and then rinse and repeat disregard. 

Xbox is doing just fine without the cynical views of the outside world, we're doing just fine with our console regardless of the fanatical psychotics like Bodycount flip flopping around for a popularity contest crushing under the pressure of others. There's so much AAA third party output these days that even if Microsoft releases a game and it's not for you there's like 15 other things releasing in the same window of time to choose from. There's no lack of games to play or experiences to have, my Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro get almost split down the middle usage. So no I'm not going to give you a score just as I wouldn't for PlayStation 4 this generation because it's far more complex than just a simple number can account for. 

There's analyst firms all over the planet collating data from different markets and regions, it's pretty safe to say the general vicinity of what its sold and that number is in excess of the Switch and Wii U by at least 5 million with a year less of availability. You guys think the Switch is some on fire system selling like crazy, it's not, it's splitting the difference between Xbox One and PlayStation 4; and it's newer so see how that pans out after 5 years. 

So much BS in that post.... lmfao.

XCloud is shaping up to be ghe best streaming platform available?   that's what you hope it will be. 

Switch had the best first year of any console that's a fact your delusional ass likes to deny. 

Switch is on pace to sell around 34 to 37 million in two years..... yes that's a system that's on fire and selling like crazy.

You being delusional doesn't change that.