The sales of consoles in Japan literally made me lol.

Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)

1. Switch – 200,850 (54,235)
  2. PlayStation 4 – 8,922 (8,154)
  3. PlayStation 4 Pro – 8,867 (7,927)
  4. New 2DS LL – 4,189 (4,243)
  5. PlayStation Vita – 1,877 (1,869)
  6. New 3DS LL – 1,788 (1,681)
  7. 2DS – 622 (294)
  8. Xbox One X – 119 (360)
  9. Xbox One – 45 (46)

200k vs 17k :fatcruise:

Obviously that's a huge boost due to the release of Pokemon. Which sold 600k+.

https://gematsu.com/2018/11/media-create-sales-11-12-18-11-18-18

I'm not surprised in the least. Even 3DS is dead... everyone is jumping ship to the newest handheld. I'd be surprised if Sony didn't release another handheld system considering they want to increase their presence in Japan. Consoles just aren't going to do that for them.

3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I'm not surprised in the least. Even 3DS is dead... everyone is jumping ship to the newest handheld. I'd be surprised if Sony didn't release another handheld system considering they want to increase their presence in Japan. Consoles just aren't going to do that for them.

Fuck that noise. Handhelds are trash and making a dedicated handheld worked so well for them last-time...  PS5 will have a hybrid option, that's about it. 

6 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Fuck that noise. Handhelds are trash and making a dedicated handheld worked so well for them last-time...  PS5 will have a hybrid option, that's about it. 

Sony fucked up a bit with the Vita, but it was a good handheld just poorly supported. Plus Monster Hunter was on 3DS so that didn't help. Sony is heavily invested into 5G technology and they talk about it often. I assume if they made a handheld it would be focused around that and game streaming.

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

PS4 has a healthy console base in Japan.  Even western games like Spiderman, GOW and COD did well there. 

It was healthier before the Switch came along because of the Wii U. Nintendo nailed the Japan market with their tablet console.

7 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

PS4 has a healthy console base in Japan.  Even western games like Spiderman, GOW and COD did well there. 

The userbase is active and buys a lot of games. So there's at least that. Q1 next year should be good, lot's of big names Japanese games.

3 minutes ago, Pureis said:

Japan have always been Nintendo Land.

Not during the PS1 and PS2 days. The real issue is that you'll never see strictly home consoles at this level of popularity ever again in Japan.

Just now, lynux3 said:

No, it hasn't.

Yes they have mostly dominated Japan except for the PS1 and PS2 era . Nintendo dominated Japan so hard for the last 15 years. DS, Wiii, 3DS and now Switch are all very very dominant in Japan. I mean just look at this week 200K vs  17K lol.  Back  in the day the DS was putting up even more absurb numbers, every week looks like a  Nintendo Top 20 software chart, no joke.

Just now, kokujin said:

Sony has been RAPED.  Ninty still wildcard and more relevant than them again.  Microsoft stay losing on both coasts.  Nintendo puts out shitty systems but their handhelds save the game.  Oh wait Switch ain't a handheld.  B) 

In Japan the Switch is a handheld system.

i'm kinda dogging it and making that point.  And no, I'm sure people enjoy docking their system at home too.  No men in Japan overcompensating by refusing to use their switch as intended.

Where the fuck do they play it tho? (I'm not in Japan now).  Just the train ride to work and home?  That's not a 2 hour trip..  '

@monkey black jap guy. 

Edited by kokujin
4 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

In Japan the Switch is a handheld system.

It's both. I remember Nintendo posted the numbers of how people are using the system. It's like 45/55 split