Sign in to follow this  
ghostz

The Stupid Phone Thread

Before fatwallet.com shut down, and its forums, people were talking about horror stories involving Samsung's or T-mobile's VERY STRICT trade-in policy. When they say that the product has to be in "good condition" people were saying that ANY noticeable blemish, just some light scuff or discoloration on the phone does not qualify for the full trade-in credit.

And even worse, there is no way of backing out, at that point. They issue you a standard $50-$150 trade in credit, and not the $500 max credit. They will not mail you back the phone you traded in.

On my Note 5, I have this thing in the upper left corner in which the white film that is behind the glass has separated itself from the glass. And some dirt has appeared to have gotten in between that laminate and the back of the glass. Which sucks, because my Note 5 is in really good condition.  Like REALLY GOOD condition. Just a few small nicks on the aluminum bezel.

No phone cover since the day I got it in Sept 2015.  None. Pure naked phone this entire time, using it quite heavily every day, and putting it in my pocket. It feels awesome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

Before fatwallet.com shut down, and its forums, people were talking about horror stories involving Samsung's or T-mobile's VERY STRICT trade-in policy. When they say that the product has to be in "good condition" people were saying that ANY noticeable blemish, just some light scuff or discoloration on the phone does not qualify for the full trade-in credit.

And even worse, there is no way of backing out, at that point. They issue you a standard $50-$150 trade in credit, and not the $500 max credit. They will not mail you back the phone you traded in.

On my Note 5, I have this thing in the upper left corner in which the white film that is behind the glass has separated itself from the glass. And some dirt has appeared to have gotten in between that laminate and the back of the glass. Which sucks, because my Note 5 is in really good condition.  Like REALLY GOOD condition. Just a few small nicks on the aluminum bezel.

No phone cover since the day I got it in Sept 2015.  None. Pure naked phone this entire time, using it quite heavily every day, and putting it in my pocket. It feels awesome.

With my experience in trading in my S5, you will likely need to at least have the glass and lcd replaced before they will take it. Sad thing is most shops will charge you like $210 just to do that. 

22 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Notes are the best phones. There are a couple really nice cases and super thin screens that I found. You should of got one fammo.

I'm on a 6S still. I want to get an 8 (just because i don't think i'd take advantage of an X) but it's taking a while.

I'm on a corporate contract which I don't want to lose (55 bucks a month for 5 gigs and unlimited everything else...whcih is probably shit for most of you but phenomenal for Canada...comparable plans are like double that). Problem is it's grandfathered so if I do my 2 year upgrade through my provider they want me to switch plans. At this point I'd be better off buying the phone outright. That said, I had the same problem my last upgrade cycle and finally found some kid who didn't give a fuck at rogers and just put it through anyway...so I'm hoping I can get lucky again.

Just now, lynux3 said:

I stopped being a phone peasant years ago. Incremental upgrades for $500-800 a year isn't worth it.

Hop on a plan w/ free upgrades homie. TF you doing. I’m saving money from upgrading to the X from the 7 plus. About 20$ a month 

2 minutes ago, ghostz said:

Hop on a plan w/ free upgrades homie. TF you doing. I’m saving money from upgrading to the X from the 7 plus. About 20$ a month 

So I am an Android user, but getting a phone through a carrier is the worst choice you can make. Because when there is a software upgrade the carrier QC's it and it takes months longer for it to release. For that I applaud Apple for not letting carriers fuck with their shit.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

So I am an Android user, but getting a phone through a carrier is the worst choice you can make. Because when there is a software upgrade the carrier QC's it and it takes months longer for it to release. For that I applaud Apple for not letting carriers fuck with their shit.

Fair enough, before there were upgrades like there is now tho I’d buy the phone and just sell it and then get the new one for ~200

Just now, ghostz said:

Fair enough, before there were upgrades like there is now tho I’d buy the phone and just sell it and then get the new one for ~200

Yeah, I did the same thing, but it kind of limits you to a certain brand. Like if you got an LG or something not popular like a Galaxy it was hard to sell and/or you had to reduce the price significantly for someone to bite. Luckily for you iPhone users those phones get snatched up in no time. Even iPhone 6s. 

Was reading an article about how phone carriers are angry that they are forced to offer unlimited data plans.

And thank goodness the options have opened up a bit within the past couple of years. My AT&T Unlimited Data Plan that I've maintained since 2007 doesn't have any special value anymore. So, i am just about certain that I will be moving to T-mobile.

The only concern is that T-mobile advertises that their signal is really good throughout Dallas, but people anecdotally tell me that it isn't. Its one of those things where I am not going to be certain until I have the service activated, and I am testing it out in my part of town.

T-Mobile has a coverage map and it's surprisingly detailed. Just find your location and it'll actually tell you signal quality. Like in my area further south of you T-Mobile says the signal quality in my area is "Fair" and it sure as fuck is fair. I don't care though, my phone is mostly hooked up to Wi-Fi (plus Wi-Fi calling) and about a mile outside of where I live the quality goes way right up. It's just where I reside the signal blows.

I had TMobile for like 15 years . Have sprint now.  TMobile had worse coverage but not by much .

Not many places I had issues with it .

Just now, JonB1 said:

I had TMobile for like 15 years . Have sprint now.  TMobile had worse coverage but not by much .

Not many places I had issues with it .

It's possible that T-Mobile and Sprint could be merging soon.