Tropical freeze is the best 2D platformer ever made

I didn’t think  a game in a genre I’ve played the most for 30 years could still wow me but this one did. World 3 in particular  has some of the best levels created in a game ever. Even the water levels in the game were great. The soundtrack to might be in my top 5  soundtrack of any game.

I haven't played through Tropical Freeze but just a few levels, but my understanding is that DKCR is probably the harder one, and I played that one all the way.

The platforming in those games feel really good.  And quite frankly I don't consider the platforming design of games like Super Meatboy to be satisfying platformers.

Spikes all these walls and the ceiling for NO good reason other than to make jump a specific way to get through them.........and you have 80 levels full of that design, in my opinion that's just not good platforming.

By that logic, the best platforming resides in the stupidest, most hardest Mario Maker levels that have been uploaded by users.

Not even the best DKC tbh. 

I like Tropical Freeze a lot tbh, didn’t play it in Wij U. Actually I was just playing it yesterday going through trying to get the rest of the secret worlds. 

DKC2 is just better IMO, on another level. Something just feels like it’s missing from Tropical Freeze...as amazing as the levels are they just don’t have the atmosphere that 2 does (or even 1 for that matter, though TF is still better than 1 overall). I don’t know exactly why that is, part of it is the enemies...the Kremlings make much more interesting villains than whatever the TF ones are called. The darker setting of 2 works better as well and it has better music overall. I think the level design is better in Tropical Freeze (a lot of that is hardware) and the way some of the levels evolve is impressive. Something about the controls feels off in TF too, floatier than DKC2 (also annoying that you only get to control the heavier DK....Diddy and Dixie are more nimble even if Dixie is a bit OP.) 

Feel like TF has the harder segments overall but they’re super generous with checkpoints so for me 2 has the higher peak difficulty. Don’t find either that difficult though. 

Solid game regardless and DKC is one of my favourites series in video games. Even 3 is fantastic. Returns is trash. 

DKC2 >> TF >> DKC >>> DKC3 >>>>>>>>>>>>> DKCR. 

In terms of 2D platformers  as a whole I’d put both 2 and TF in a top 5. SMB3 is obviously there too, and probably World. I don’t really consider Celeste and Meat Boy in the same genre though....too different. 

Edited by Casual
15 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I haven't played through Tropical Freeze but just a few levels, but my understanding is that DKCR is probably the harder one, and I played that one all the way.

The platforming in those games feel really good.  And quite frankly I don't consider the platforming design of games like Super Meatboy to be satisfying platformers.

Spikes all these walls and the ceiling for NO good reason other than to make jump a specific way to get through them.........and you have 80 levels full of that design, in my opinion that's just not good platforming.

By that logic, the best platforming resides in the stupidest, most hardest Mario Maker levels that have been uploaded by users.

I do like meat boy but yes that is basically what those types of games. Just a bunch of random hazards thrown together for you to beat while the Dkc games every hazard in the level makes logical sense and tells a story about the level.

Also DKC:returns is great to but I think it’s difficulty for a lot of people was due to the wii controls. I thought tropical freeze was the harder game personally.

Both games are amazing though, the two best in their genre in the last 20 plus years. I hope retro make another one.