Will MS ever do Gamepass exclusive games?

It's an idea I was thinking about. If MS really wants to push the subscription model, would they have the balls to make Gamepass exclusive games (meaning no other way to play them)? I'm not talking about a Halo or Forza, I mean a mid tier game/s from one of the many studios they are acquiring or that they already own? 

Would be an amazing method to get ppl into the model and hope they remain. Great value and deals are good but nothing works as well as high quality exclusive content. It's what initially worked with Netflix, ppl signing up for the critical buzz that their exclusives like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black originally garnered and then remained with the service. 

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Nah.

I mean presumably at some point they'll just offer the streaming service and the only real way to buy their games will be to subscribe to them... but not any time soon.

You would thing the steps to that end game is to start by making exclusive games on GP though. 

I can see it starting with a couple games next gen. 

• Upvote 1

They won't but they've already talked about developers particularly smaller ones looking for a leg up as launching their games on the service. 

A game like Rocket League would be a great example of something that could fit that launch model. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
Just now, madmaltese said:

You would thing the steps to that end game is to start by making exclusive games on GP though. 

I can see it starting with a couple games next gen. 

Fair point.  Maybe little things here and there.  It's a delicate game they'll have to play.. but yea.. I guess it's possible.

Still though, Phil has went out of his way to reiterate that the current plan is to simply provide it as an option.

6 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Fair point.  Maybe little things here and there.  It's a delicate game they'll have to play.. but yea.. I guess it's possible.

Still though, Phil has went out of his way to reiterate that the current plan is to simply provide it as an option.

Yeah they have learned from past mistakes (X1 launch) of going too hard too quickly on certain changes. I think this is all laying the ground works and they have to play it that way from a PR point of view too. Ppl fairly quickly accepted that many games are only available digitally, I don't think the gap from that to only available via subscription is that far. The big gamble is choosing the right game.

Keep an eye out for Halo Infinite.

Its not going to be a fully-complete game at launch.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was episodic in its single player, and they slowly roll out the multiplayer over the course of months.  They want people paying for Gamepass for as many months as possible.

Same thing will apply to Forza. For starters, its not even going to be a new Forza 8, but rather them "enhancing" Forza 7 in 2019. Probably add some of the features from FH4 and tracks and cars (and probably seasons, seeing as though they change everything).

17 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Keep an eye out for Halo Infinite.

Its not going to be a fully-complete game at launch.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was episodic in its single player, and they slowly roll out the multiplayer over the course of months.  They want people paying for Gamepass for as many months as possible.

Same thing will apply to Forza. For starters, its not even going to be a new Forza 8, but rather them "enhancing" Forza 7 in 2019. Probably add some of the features from FH4 and tracks and cars (and probably seasons, seeing as though they change everything).

Of course it will be a complete game at launch, where are you even pulling that from? It's Halo 6, I'm not sure what you think it is.

Also Forza 7 is the focus of development so they can evolve its systems. Also they're clearly delaying Forza 8 for a next gen launch title.

5 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Of course it will be a complete game at launch, where are you even pulling that from? It's Halo 6, I'm not sure what you think it is.

Also Forza 7 is the focus of development so they can evolve its systems. Also they're clearly delaying Forza 8 for a next gen launch title.

It's called "Halo Infinite", it's billed as open world, and it doesn't have a 6 in the title.  Temper your expectations, because given what every other publisher this gen is doing, it looks like a GaaS title.