Epic is launching their own Digital Games Store to compete directly with STEAM

The Epic Games Store is launching as a full-fledged game marketplace supporting all sorts of titles. The Fortnite developer hopes to incentivize developers to come over to the Epic Games Store by pushing the revenue split for software further than any platform holder has before, giving developers 88 percent of the revenues while keeping 12 percent for overhead.

This is a big change considering the traditional industry standard for digital revenue split usually gives 30 percent to the store owner, whether it be Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Android, or Valve. Perhaps anticipating this move, Valve recently made adjustments to Steam's revenue model, but only above certain thresholds that most games won't hit.

“As a developer ourselves, we have always wanted a platform with great economics that connects us directly with our players,” Epic Games founder and CEO Tim Sweeney said in a press statement. “Thanks to the success of Fortnite, we now have this and are ready to share it with other developers.”

The absurd amount of money that Fortnite makes every day clearly allowed Epic to invest the money into making this more developer-friendly store. The company also made this change with its Unreal asset store earlier this year, again citing the massive profits from Fortnite as the reason they can afford a thinner profit off store purchases.

It was only a matter of time.  This is big news.. with 88% of revenue going to the developers.  It makes Steam's recently announced splits based on $$$ generated, look quite bad.  

epic28td9s.jpeg

This is a good thing.  Epic is currently one of the only companies big enough to actually give Valve some real competition.  Valve 100% needs this kick to the ass because despite being far and away the best digital gaming store, they have been resting on their laurels a bit too much.  We're supposedly supposed to get a new client, updated store, and other functionality, but it's been quite a while since that stuff was spoken about and we've seen nothing from them yet. 

I'm absolutely fine with Epic starting their own store and giving Valve some competition. B) 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hermit V. Hermit: Basement Warfare

PC getting more and more fragmented by the day, I'm so glad I jumped ship. What a damn joke... You literally need like 8 accounts and DD platforms at different places just to play and buy games.

LOL.   Wait a minute.............so people are complaining that they prefer that the WIDEST, most OPEN platform..........only have ONE method for buying games on that platform?   Y

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

PC getting more and more fragmented by the day, I'm so glad I jumped ship. What a damn joke... You literally need like 8 accounts and DD platforms at different places just to play and buy games.

Garbage :tom:

How is this fragmented?  Are you retarded?

You need fucking 8 accounts anyway idiot.  Even on Xbox or PS4... You have your xbox/PSN account... you have your Epic account... your uplay account... your EA account... lmfaoo...  All of these companies require accounts... this makes NO fucking difference. 

You guys are dumb as bricks :tom: 

LOL.

Wait a minute.............so people are complaining that they prefer that the WIDEST, most OPEN platform..........only have ONE method for buying games on that platform?

You can tell that these people aren't actually knowledgeable about using a PC.

6 different programs..........OH MYY!!!!!! My mouse wheel needs to scroll an extras inch in order to get to the other PC game store.  Oh wait, I don't even need to do that, Windows 10 has the ability to pin a program within the start menu, and I've already got Steam, GOG, Ubiplay, EA Origins, Xbox on there.

I don't even remember how many programs and individual games I had installed in Windows XP and they were all listed in the Start menu.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

How is this fragmented?  Are you retarded?

You need fucking 8 accounts anyway idiot.  Even on Xbox or PS4... You have your xbox/PSN account... you have your Epic account... your uplay account... your EA account... lmfaoo...  All of these companies require accounts... this makes NO fucking difference. 

Where are all your games located on console? In one place, with one store, with phyical media opportunity for almost everything. Sure for a few rare things you need a sign in but that's the beginning and end of it. Console is like PC when there was only Steam.

PC is a fucking disaster functioning on corporate greed fragmenting into a near dozen seperate software platforms.

6 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Where are all your games located on console? In one place, with one store, with phyical media opportunity for almost everything. Sure for a few rare things you need a sign in but that's the beginning and end of it. Console is like PC when there was only Steam.

PC is a fucking disaster functioning on corporate greed fragmenting into a near dozen seperate software platforms.

You're a fucking drama queen man :tom: 

PC is an open platform...  it's not being fragmented... it's being was it always was meant to be... OPEN.

Yea, it's soooo terribly confusing that my EA games are on Origin, My Epic games are on Epic, My Ubisoft Games are on Uplay... My Xbox games are on the Windows Store... and everything else is on Steam.

Sooo fucking difficult to use!!  How will I manage :roll: 

This coming from the guy that has 15 consoles with 5 different TVs and hundreds of games all around his walls... and tons of other shit lying around :hest: 

8 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

You're a fucking drama queen man :tom: 

PC is an open platform...  it's not being fragmented... it's being was it always was meant to be... OPEN.

Yea, it's soooo terribly confusing that my EA games are on Origin, My Epic games are on Epic, My Ubisoft Games are on Uplay... My Xbox games are on the Windows Store... and everything else is on Steam.

Sooo fucking difficult to use!!  How will I manage :roll: 

What about Battlenet? What about GoG?  Shit is a mess, open =/= good. I have no doubt Bethesda will be splitting off too.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

What about Battlenet? What about GoG?  Shit is a mess, open =/= good.

What about them?  Jesus..  How do you even use the internet?  Is there too many options for you?  You just get frustrated and visit the same site over and over again for all your news?

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.  On PC I can play every single console you own and probably 90% of the games... all on my Windows desktop.

Acting like it's just the worst thing that I have to open a client!!!  How DARE they not let one company run and be the entire fact of PC gaming!!! 

Give me a fucking break.  I could probably find any game I have on PC and launch it and be in it before you could do it on any of your consoles lmfao.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

What about them?  Jesus..  How do you even use the internet?  Is there too many options for you?  You just get frustrated and visit the same site over and over again for all your news?

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.  On PC I can play every single console you own and probably 90% of the games... all on my Windows desktop.

Acting like it's just the worst thing that I have to open a client!!!  How DARE they not let one company run and be the entire fact of PC gaming!!! 

Give me a fucking break.  I could probably find any game I have on PC and launch it and be in it before you could do it on any of your consoles lmfao.

You're rationalizing counter-intuitive messy junk. There's no redeeming aspect of it, you're not saving any money and the user experience is worse. It's a hassle, platforms have to update independently, games on each platform have to update independently meaning regular login is required as it can't be handled universally. You have to juggle abunch of different logins and passwords, you have to deal with network divergences and varying download speeds.. Your friends are fragmented, your platform services and features are all different...

It's all a negative and dumb annoyance, you're being a dumbo idiot because its PEEEE CEEEE!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

:mj:

6 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

You're rationalizing counter-intuitive messy junk. There's no redeeming aspect of it, you're not saving any money and the user experience is worse. It's a hassle, platforms have to update independently, games on each platform have to update independently meaning regular login is required as it can't be handled universally. You have to juggle abunch of different logins and passwords, you have to deal with network divergences and varying download speeds.. Your friends are fragmented, your platform services and features are all different...

It's all a negative and dumb annoyance, you're being a dumbo idiot because its PEEEE CEEEE!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

:mj:

bu but you have to haz accounts and you haz to update and u haz loginz and u haz to juggle and you has to deal with and you... :sabu: 

Good. Fuck Steam. Though, I am glad Valve attempted to bring Linux gaming to the masses, but looks like Google might be the one doing it since Project Stream is running on Linux using the Vulkan API.

• Haha 1
Just now, lynux3 said:

Good. Fuck Steam. Though, I am glad Valve attempted to bring Linux gaming to the masses, but looks like Google might be the one doing it since Project Stream is running on Linux using the Vulkan API.

:D 

I don't have a problem with having accounts for different games, in fact I even have multiple accounts for the same service. Have 3 steam, 2 origin for example etc...

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Maybe Valve will actually need to make games to make themselves less shitty even if they will be dominant.

The sad part is that the Epic store will probably have more people buying games on it in a week than the Windows Store has.

I'm sure Half Life 3 with some new VR tech will be their last game. And most people will be disappointed because realistically nothing can live up to that hype.

But yeah, If they ever make the game. It's a shame really they stopped working on games the original Half Life was godtier.

Edited by kaz

The guy crying about PC gaming being fragmented has multiple TVs and displays in one room to be able to play a multitude of old ass hardware. LMAO

I'm not surprised he freaks out over this though, when he had a meltdown over slightly different Xbox games cases in his collection. :tom:  What a faggot.