Smash reviews TLHBR

I decided to buy the game the moment they showed off that single-player mode that almost looks like a Square RPG.

It truly looks like the game is deserving of the title "Ultimate" because they are throwing absolutely everything in there.

12 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I decided to buy the game the moment they showed off that single-player mode that almost looks like a Square RPG.

It truly looks like the game is deserving of the title "Ultimate" because they are throwing absolutely everything in there.

will it be enough to warrant a purchase if i have 0 interest playing this multiplayer? 

4 minutes ago, -GD- said:

will it be enough to warrant a purchase if i have 0 interest playing this multiplayer? 

The single player mode appears to be huge, because you are able to unlock all 74 characters through that mode.

From the Gamespot review:

It's a convoluted setup--beginning as Kirby, you go on a long journey throughout a huge world map to rescue Smash's other fighters (who have incidentally been cloned in large numbers) from the big bad's control. Along the way, you'll do battles with Spirits, characters hailing from other video games that, while not directly engaging in combat, have taken control of clones, altered them in their images, and unleashed them on you.

Though there is some light puzzling, the world is naturally filled with hundreds upon hundreds of fights--there are over 1200 Spirit characters, and the vast majority have their own unique battle stages that use the game's match variables to represent their essence. The Goomba Spirit, for example, will put you up against an army of tiny Donkey Kongs. Meanwhile, the Excitebike Spirit might throw three Warios at you who only use their Side+B motorbike attacks.

It may seem like a tenuous idea at first, but these fights are incredibly entertaining. It's hard not to appreciate the creativity of using Smash's assets to represent a thousand different characters. Zero Suit Samus might stand in for a battle with The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater by donning a silver-palette costume and fighting you in a flower-filled Final Destination, but she also stands in for the spirit of Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness by using a black-palette costume and fighting you in the haunted Luigi's Mansion stage, with a modifier that makes the screen occasionally flip upside down (Eternal Darkness was a GameCube horror game whose signature feature were "Sanity Effects", which skewed the game in spooky ways to represent the character's loosening grip on reality). If I knew the character, I often found myself thinking about how clever their Spirit battle was.

Some hubs in the World of Light map are also themed around certain games and bundle related Spirits together to great effect--Dracula's Castle from Castlevania, which changes the map into a 2D side-scroller, and the globe from Street Fighter II, complete with the iconic airplane noises, are personal standouts. Despite the dramatic overtones of World of Spirit's setup, the homages you find within it feel like a nice commemoration of the games and characters without feeling like a pandering nostalgia play. One of the most rewarding homages of all, however, lies in Ultimate's huge library of video game music. Over 800 tracks, which include originals as well as fantastic new arrangements, can all be set as stage soundtracks as well enjoyed through the game's music player.

All of those references to other games sounds pretty cool.

9 minutes ago, jehurey said:

The single player mode appears to be huge, because you are able to unlock all 74 characters through that mode.

From the Gamespot review:

All of those references to other games sounds pretty cool.

ok,  that sounds pretty awesome. i like that the fights are perfect for short burst gaming sessions.