Digital Foundry - Ark Survival Evolved on Switch

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, Nintendo really created a crappy piece of hardware. 

4 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Your personal preference for visuals has no effect effect on the technical side. 

You're telling me Ark is the best the switch can do.  That's not a preference, that's objectively wrong.  Would you like to rephrase?

41 minutes ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

You're telling me Ark is the best the switch can do.  That's not a preference, that's objectively wrong.  Would you like to rephrase?

What you're talking about is visual results, not the tech side. Pro is weaker than X but it has no game that looks better. That doesn't mean these games arent technically inferiour.

1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

There a PC emulators that can run BOTW at 4K 60fps. Like I said specs and tech are objective. What you thinks looks good has no objective technical merit. Same PCs struggle with Ark because Zelda is a low spec game. 

You're dodging the original question.  Can the switch do better than what the Ark port is doing?  Yes or no, please.

1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

What you're talking about is visual results, not the tech side. 

I don't think you know what you're talking about.  I think you're just babbling.  Nobody is saying the Switch hardware is superior to PC or PS4 or Xbone. 

Third time i've asked: can the switch do better than what Ark is doing?  Yes or no.

6 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

In what sense? Technically. No it can't. 

I keep asking you this question and you keep getting it objectively wrong.

If it helps you to understand, Ark's problems by and large are not stemming from the hardware.  It's a poorly optimized game on all systems, including PC.

Edited by McWickedSmawt85
3 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

If you take a PS4 spec PC. It will look like the PS4 version of Ark. 

If you take a Switch spec PC and put Ark on it. It will look like the current Switch version. 

It's that simple. 

You're describing a problem with Ark, not a problem with Swi...oh fuck it, you can have this one.  There's no arguing with people who don't accept reality.  You win.  You're right, pumpkin, no games on Switch look better than Ark because that's the absolute best it can do.

Great job, high fives all around for you, let's grab lunch.

It's a combination of poor coding and weak hardware. The Switch GPU at peak docked is about 30% as powerful as the Xbox One GPU. It only has 25 GB/s of memory bandwidth and a much weaker CPU. Also Ark runs on a newer version of CryEngine which as we all know is extremely demanding.

The game needs brute power to run, Switch can't handle it.

41 minutes ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

You're describing a problem with Ark, not a problem with Swi...oh fuck it, you can have this one.  There's no arguing with people who don't accept reality.  You win.  You're right, pumpkin, no games on Switch look better than Ark because that's the absolute best it can do.

Great job, high fives all around for you, let's grab lunch.

There is no problem with Ark. There is a problem with Switch's hardware. Same thing would apply if you take any 1080p 30fps PS4 game. It will be visually butchered on Switch. 

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

They're very much in a "we'll take whatever we can get" kind of release phase. Beggars can't be choosers. 

You're probably right.  Still though... :( 

Bring back the Official Nintendo Seal of Quality Nintendo :mad: