Below is out now

No reviews posted as of yet, I thought this was launching on the 17th. From the user reviews on Xbox a lot of people are saying it's very much like old school Zelda which is surprising, I was thinking more of a Souls type game but I'm buying it. I'll leave some feedback a little later. 

below_keyart.jpg

Edited by DynamiteCop!

Okay I'm about 45 mins in, the game is beautiful and the audio is great, the music really sets the tone. Mechanically it plays well, combat is relatively simple (in the beginning) but you have to be careful with what you engage and how as death has a steep price. There is some resource management and crafting that plays part in the experience and you have to keep track of your hunger.

This game is very unforgiving, death starts you back at the beginning, you can do something (I won't say) to prevent this so you can fast track back to where you were but you have to do it within each life or you're back to square one. 

The game doesn't tell you how to play, it's trial and error so be prepared for that. On the whole I'm liking it so far, it feels and plays like an older game with some modern concepts. The game is also procedural so everyone will have a different world to explore and experience.

Edited by DynamiteCop!

GIantbomb was just playing it, their footage completely turned me off. It just looks like another survival game with way too much meter/inventory management and crafting for my liking. In the first 20 or so minutes Brad's inventory filled up multiple times and he had to craft stuff to make space. Repeating that over the course of an entire game would probably drive me crazy, i just no longer have the patience required for this type of game.

Edited by Twinblade

I just started this game.  Fuck YES.  I love this game.  I love that it has these mechanics but is also simple.  I'm not far in at all so I can't say how difficult it becomes to manage in the future but I love that it just lets you explore and gives you no direction.  It's beautiful.  The ambiance is awesome.  The intro was long but I love how it built up the feeling of isolation. @DynamiteCop! I'm about 45 min in as well.  Found a few secrets and also a shortcut across that bridge in the cave right at the start beside the fire pit/camp.  I've got quite a bit of inventory and resources built up and found a spear which I'm using to hunt fish in the ponds.  That definitely helps with the hunger as I have about 5 fillets and 2 water bottles now.  I'm feeling pretty good about going deeper atm.  

I just arrived at a fire pit a couple of screens down into the first level.  I found that killing enemies seems to give you light shards for the lantern, then I found a pile of 25 of them, which I used at the fire pit which turned it into a blue fire, which is what I assume you were talking about with regards to being able to continue from that point?  I'm not sure though.. I stopped shortly after and checked and I DID continue in that room, but I'm not sure if it was because of the blue flame thing I did or not.

Anyway... I LOVE discovering this stuff.  I love it when games don't tell you what everything does and you have to work things out.. it makes the experience that much more personal and gratifying.

I downloaded and basically watched the opening (which was cool) and fucked around for 5 minutes before I had shit to do. I don't know if ill enjoy this game but once I finish the other games im playing ill give it a shot.

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

I just started this game.  Fuck YES.  I love this game.  I love that it has these mechanics but is also simple.  I'm not far in at all so I can't say how difficult it becomes to manage in the future but I love that it just lets you explore and gives you no direction.  It's beautiful.  The ambiance is awesome.  The intro was long but I love how it built up the feeling of isolation. @DynamiteCop! I'm about 45 min in as well.  Found a few secrets and also a shortcut across that bridge in the cave right at the start beside the fire pit/camp.  I've got quite a bit of inventory and resources built up and found a spear which I'm using to hunt fish in the ponds.  That definitely helps with the hunger as I have about 5 fillets and 2 water bottles now.  I'm feeling pretty good about going deeper atm.  

I just arrived at a fire pit a couple of screens down into the first level.  I found that killing enemies seems to give you light shards for the lantern, then I found a pile of 25 of them, which I used at the fire pit which turned it into a blue fire, which is what I assume you were talking about with regards to being able to continue from that point?  I'm not sure though.. I stopped shortly after and checked and I DID continue in that room, but I'm not sure if it was because of the blue flame thing I did or not.

Anyway... I LOVE discovering this stuff.  I love it when games don't tell you what everything does and you have to work things out.. it makes the experience that much more personal and gratifying.

It gets hard, very hard. I'm in a resource and environmental bind at the moment trying to work it out. The game is all risk and reward with trial and error, enemies may seem easy but as you get further down other obstacles present themselves and you have to be tactical with how you proceed.

The blue fire is your return point upon death. When you die it is extinguished as each life is a different wanderer (person). So if you die a second time without lighting a new blue fire you have to trek back down from the very beginning to where your previous wanderer died, and you have to go there to pick up the lantern from their corpse. There are shortcuts you can open to make this journey shorter but keep your memory on its toes and where you went.

Resources become scarce and there are environmental shifts so be prepared. It's a great game and one which will require diligence and planning to complete.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, i think we need to start putting sanctions on Deeno and Slow Johnny.  Their game recommendations are really shitting up the forum for the rest of us. :scust: 

28 minutes ago, McWicked said:

Guys, i think we need to start putting sanctions on Deeno and Slow Johnny.  Their game recommendations are really shitting up the forum for the rest of us. :scust: 

ObsessedMike lol