First Man - best movie I've seen this year

Damn I can't believe I missed this in theater those flight and space scenes were mind blowing hopefully it gets a re release in IMAX.

I didn't know the whole story surrounding A rmstrong and how tragic the events leading up to the mission were. Gosling did a great job playing this introverted guy who just wants to isolate himself.  

I would check this one out 10/10 for me.  This director keeps the bangers coming

Yeah, I was hoping to see that.

Roma is playing in only one theater, near downtown. Hopefully I will try to catch that next weekend or over Christmas. Apparently reviewers are saying to try and watch it in the theater instead of Netflix.

I think I'm going to rent Leave No Trace from Redbox (only place its available besides digital), supposedly that is a really good movie, oscar worthy. It stars Ben Foster.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

I think I'm going to rent Leave No Trace from Redbox (only place its available besides digital), supposedly that is a really good movie, oscar worthy. It stars Ben Foster.

It's really good and Ben Foster just completely nails that role (McKenzie, too). Probably one of the slowest movies I've ever seen, so you really need to enjoy character studies because there just isn't much else in it.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw this movie at the dollar theaters because it was already out of the normal theaters in late December.

One of the best movie WATCHING experiences, but its not really that good of a movie even though I can appreciate its approach to being realistic.

The wife is.........not good. They do everything they can to give her depth, but she has no depth, she still falls into the same cliches that we see in these movies.

Ryan Gosling is effective in the sense that Neil Armstrong is a boring, stoic person. You don't ever get the feeling that you want to "root" for him, you're just observing him.  It doesn't do a good enough job driving the point that so many people--in Neil's personal life and his field of work--died and failed along the way for Neil Armstrong to make it as the first man to launch and land on the moon.

Also, From The Earth To the Moon has a better, more drawn out scene of the Moon Lander scene where they had to worry about where they could land and whether they had enough fuel to land.  It was much more suspenseful on that HBO miniseries.

The final part of the movie is genuinely touching. Probably didn't happen in real life, but it was quite touching.

This movie doesn't really require you to pay full attention, it doesn't seem like there's a need to pay attention to every line or observe every little detail.  This is what allowed it to improve my watching experience.  I went there on a Wednesday night after Christmas with two friends of mine. We had been drinking some beers, and we walk into a completely empty auditorium. We start acting like mega-MEGA-jackasses, talking out loud and saying lewd things. 5 minutes in, my friend points out that there's actually a couple of people sitting way back, and then a couple of minutes later, they walk out. LOL

My friends wanted to pull up info on the Apollo missions so that they can get a timeframe of when they had each failure, and why it happened. Because the movie didn't really do a good job of providing insight into those things. So I saw both of them just browsing on their phones while the movie is playing.  We enjoyed the fact that Buzz Aldrin is a legendary asshole.  The movie is alright for a dollar.