CRT convergence ring adjustment

1 minute ago, The Mother Fucker said:

You keep telling yourself that, you're the moron who thinks it's a requirement to re-calibrate a tube TV set.   Your issue is only a necessity to your case with your garbage TV, not anyone else.

Eventually all CRT's require calibration and internal tuning, they're a product of time and their magnetic fields weaken and change over time. This TV is one of the best standard definition consumer CRT televisions ever produced and it needed its convergence to be tuned, geometry adjusted and color calibrated; now it's perfect.

You're a moron, you think because you play old consoles that you're somehow educated about the displays which they are played on. You have no earthly idea what you're talking about, you probably think composite is fine as a means of input, you're a simpleton.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Eventually all CRT's require calibration and internal tuning, they're a product of time and their magnetic fields weaken and change over time. This TV is one of the best standard definition consumer CRT televisions ever produced and it needed its convergence to be tuned, geometry adjusted and color calibrated; now it's perfect.

You're a moron, you think because you play old consoles that you're somehow educated about the displays which they are played on. You have no earthly idea what you're talking about, you probably think composite is fine as a means of input, you're a simpleton.

WRONG again. I don't think, I know from experience working with CRTs. 

You have no idea what you're talking about and trying to project your garbage TV problem as a recalibrate requirement for every tube TV owner, when it's not.   

:p

I also know the best cables for my classic console is HD Retrovision cable.  Little bitch. 

WRONG again. I don't think, I know from experience working with CRTs. 

You have no idea what you're talking about and trying to project your garbage TV problem as a recalibrate requirement for every tube TV owner, when it's not.   

:p

I also know the best cables for my classic console is HD Retrovision cable.  Little bitch. 

If you had experience working with CRT's you wouldn't be saying any of this dumb armchair bullshit you are. The colorspace of your TV is no doubt all over the map and divergent because you have never tuned and calibrated it. 

Oh the HD Retrovision cables huh? I thought you said you were still running your original CRT from back in the day which would absolutely not have component ports and would also be unlikely to have S-video. That means you're running all of this stuff on a modern LCD which steamrolls any type of point of argument you could have for getting the most out of your systems.

You're a dumb basic bitch who can't hang and doesn't know dick about anything.

2 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

If you had experience working with CRT's you wouldn't be saying any of this dumb armchair bullshit you are. The colorspace of your TV is no doubt all over the map and divergent because you have never tuned and calibrated it. 

Oh the HD Retrovision cables huh? I thought you said you were still running your original CRT from back in the day which would absolutely not have component ports and would also be unlikely to have S-video. That means you're running all of this stuff on a modern LCD which steamrolls any type of point of argument you could have for getting the most out of your systems.

You're a dumb basic bitch who can't hang and doesn't know dick about anything.

:|

Not only are you completely wrong, I'm now convinced that you bought a crappy Sony tube TV.

Is that all you got?  :D

You think HD Retrovision cables can only be used with LCDs.  

Doofus.

No you moron, they're component cables i.e. they need to be used with a TV modern enough to have those ports not to mention a TV that can handle a 720x240 progressive signal.

You said yourself and I quote "Most of us grew up with tube sets and some of us still have ours and don't need to buy one again to discover like you dumb yuppies."

I assume you're roughly the same age as the rest of us so you sure as shit wouldn't have a CRT with component video unless you bought it sometime in the early 2000's. This leaves the only obvious outcome, your above statement is bullshit or you're using those cables with a modern television. 

So which is it? Either way you're a complete moron who doesn't seem to understand anything about CRT maintenance or display technology in general.

1 hour ago, The Mother Fucker said:

Multiple things.

CRT's do fall out of convergence over time as magnetic fields weaken and shift, they do need to be refocused, they do need their yokes repositioned, they do require geometry and calibration adjustments, they do require circuit based adjustment, they do need to be degaussed, they do need to have magnets and convergence strips added to them and repositioned, they do need to be calibrated. 

You saying the following in response to working on a CRT is bullshit, and it's dumb.

"wtf are you talking about?   There is no convergence anything with a old tube set, you just hook it up and turn it on.   Stop making things over complicated."  

Furthermore, you said...

"Nobody claims to be anything here.  Most of us grew up with tube sets and some of us still have ours and don't need to buy one again to discover like you dumb yuppies."

You're no doubt about the same age as most of us which means when you "grew up" CRT's with component inputs on them simply didn't exist yet. They would have had RF, composite and at most S-Video. Well then you went on to say this...

"I also know the best cables for my classic console is HD Retrovision cable.  Little bitch."

HD Retrovision cables are component cables meaning they could not be used with a CRT you "grew up" with. And seeing as you said this...

"Most of us grew up with tube sets and some of us still have ours and don't need to buy one again to discover like you dumb yuppies"

That means you're using them on a modern LCD or Plasma etc because as you said you didn't need to buy another CRT because those who do are "dumb yuppies". I already confronted you on this.

You're a fucking moron. :hest:

:tom:   :|

It is amazing how you misconstrued that together to make yourself seem like you got me figured out.  

Where do I begin

First, as I said in the beginning you are overcomplicating the use of tube sets.  Most tube sets I used simply work, they are set from the factory and don't require any service menu readjustments or convergence recalibration beyond the basic picture adjustments.  You assuming "ring convergence"  is some common task that everyone does routinely with owning a tube television is simply WRONG.   You asked this 'how to' question here and got no answer, which should have clued you to how unlikely that service is done for it to be anyone's necessity outside of picking up a bad tube.  

I had my own TV set since I was 4 years old.  I went through 2 small black and white TV sets in the late 80s early 90s to 2 larger color TVs in the mid 1990s-2002.  

My Dad got me my first TV, it had a built-in timer feature that consisted of 3 physical buttons on the base marked with an elapsed time when pressed after that time passed it would turn the TV off.  That TV died and my Dad got me a 13" Goldstar B/W television.   

My first two TVs were pure analog with two large dials on it labeled VHF and UHF for tuning the channels.     For hook-ups it had screws on the back that you had to unfasten with a screwdriver and connect a set of bunny ear/bow-tie antenna that had hooks that would go underneath the losen dual screws for reception.   The only setting adjustments were the Brightness, Contrast, and Volume knobs like in the picture below.   

image.thumb.png.1227c6162c319a2d83c81df180bbc14b.png

In order to hook up my NES I had to use this transformer adapter to conect. 

image.png.d546d3dd0971d18d515b2dd8c72f232c.png

By the 90s my parents bought themselves better televisions, RCA brand TVs and thus I got their old sets.

My first color TV was a 19" Mitsubishi , it had 1 coaxial connector making it Cable TV ready, it had a digital dial pad on the front right face of it tunable to channels 1-99 with a hidden door compartment at the base for picture adjustments. 

By the time I got a PlayStation in 1997, I was using my VCR in order to play it since my TV didn't have RCA inputs, and I mainly the RF connectors that my NES, Genesis, Jaguar all included.  PlayStation marked the big push to RCA connectivity. 

By the end of the 90s I got the newer Mitsubishi my sister was using, a 20" MGA TV, that had on-screen controls and more hookups a coaxial, RCA, S-Video connectors. Which meant no longer needed to rely on my VCR for playing some systems.

800px-Mitsubishi_20_inch_TV.JPG

By 2004 I bought myself a new TV, 27" Sansui, it had Coaxial, 3 RCA, a S-Video, and a Component inputs. 

This 2-line Digital comb filter tube TV has been my mainstay TV for my classic consoles ever since. 

image.thumb.png.2bd4df5b95dcc1c0c54112bebf9a3a32.png

By 2005 I bought my last tube TV and first HDTV the  

SAMSUNG TX-R3075WH 1080i ATSC/QAM Digital HDTV

1 HDMI 

2 Component

3 RCA 

2 S-video

2 Coaxial

dsc00712.jpg

I used this HDTV briefly with my classic consoles until I realized a lot of peripherals like the light gun were incompatible with this set due it being an HDTV and so it was back to my Sansui for my classics.  

This is the set I used my first HD console the Xbox 360 I got in 2006 and it was my primary television until I retired it in 2013. 

This was the only TV I intentionally used the Service Menu in to adjust it beyond the factory settings for my own perceived best PQ likes, but looking back it was hardly necessary, and I wouldn't recommend anyone venture there to do it.  

By 2013 I finally got on board with everyone else here and got a flat TV. 

Samsung UN40EH6000  120Hz 1080p HDTV

image.png.38313323d251c90bb0bea159c27cf342.png

See B) had you done your homework, you know that 

I been one the last hold out of using CRTs and therefore I am no stranger to it.   

Saying every tube TV needs ring convergence adjustment is silly, you're the exception not the rule. 

HD Retrovision cables are component cables meaning they could not be used with a CRT you "grew up" with. And seeing as you said this...

"Most of us grew up with tube sets and some of us still have ours and don't need to buy one again to discover like you dumb yuppies"

That means you're using them on a modern LCD or Plasma etc because as you said you didn't need to buy another CRT because those who do are "dumb yuppies". I already confronted you on this.

:|  

Now you see why your assumption was off base?  

dumbass  :idid: