Remij's Top 10 of 2018 thread

Spoiler

37645.jpeg

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - I liked this game.  Perhaps not as much a Rise, but it was still a very good game which really only suffers because it's not really improved enough from past entries in the series and the exact same formula is starting to get a bit old.  Besides the completely rubbish "final boss" a very solid game.

8/10

Spoiler

GRIS_08-13-18.jpg

GRIS - This game was beautiful.  It was short, easy, and simplistic, but had a way of making you love it's beautiful world and gorgeous visuals and not want to stop until it's conclusion. A strong start from an unknown studio with tons of potential.  Buy this game if you haven't.

9/10

Spoiler

Red-Dead-2-Online-Release-Date-is-THIS-w

Red Dead Redemption 2 - This one is pretty self explanatory.  Incredible visuals and presentation, great story and setting, but the gameplay hasn't evolved at nearly the same rate.  Sometimes very tedious.. and definitely overrated.  But still an incredible game.  There's something about Rockstar games which make you want to forgive them for their flaws.

8.5/10

Spoiler

Beat-Saber-PlayStation-VR-review-1057464

Beat Saber - This game is just simply FUN.  It makes perfect use of VR in a way that everyone can easily adapt to, and is very incredibly fine tuned and addicting.  This is what gaming is about IMO.

9/10

Spoiler

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1539882088

Return of the Obra Dinn - I've been playing this with my wife as we're trying to work through it, and it's tough, but extremely rewarding.  How the story unfolds is unlike anything else out there and is really a masterclass in design.  We're still not done it yet, but barring any complete fuck ups, this is one of the most interesting games to come from this year.  

Tentative 9/10

Spoiler

Sea_of_Thieves_Logo_Large6.png?version=2

Sea of Thieves - "bu but Rem you've barely played this game"  Fuck right off :pavarotti:  I've played a lot of Sea of Thieves.  I would say that this game is criminally underrated, but the truth is that it's fair that people scored it low for not enough content.  It's a game where a certain amount of effort is expected/required from the player in order for they themselves to make the game fun.  They give you so many opportunities to do so.  Since launch, there's been tons of updates and content added which make it more varied than it was before.  The core of this game is so strong, the world and focus of the game is expertly tuned.. they just needed more varied activities and to improve some aspects of the progression system.  They absolutely have the right idea with this game, and the PvP Arena expansion has amazing potential.  I'm gonna be hopping back into this game soon enough.

9/10

Spoiler

forza-horizon-4-crack.jpeg

Forza Horizon 4 - Best racing game of the gen.  One of the best ever.  Incredible graphics, awesome soundtrack, tons of stuff to do and the ability to make your own tracks.  It's incredible how much entertainment value you can get from this game.  Not much else to say here that I haven't already said before.  This is my kind of game, and it's almost perfect.

9.5/10

Spoiler

God-of-War-Logo-PNG-Photos.png

Incredible.  The production values, the gameplay with its incredible combat and surprisingly touching story.  GOW was really close to fading into irrelevancy, and along with it, Sony Santa Monica.. but they pulled off one of the best games of the generation, and made a killing. A long game by GOW standards, and yet never overstays its welcome.

9.5/10

Spoiler

51OzzlzJOIL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Platforming perfection.  Superb controls, great level designs, interesting characters, a surpringly thoughtful story, and one of the best soundtracks this generation.  I almost don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with this game.  It hits every mark.

9.5/10

Spoiler

dragon-quest-xi-logo-en.png

Yep.  My 2018 GOTY is none other than Dragon Quest XI.  What an awesome game this is.  If there's one thing I can really say about it.. it's that it's unapologetically firmly entrenched in its roots.  Not afraid to tell a classic story with some classic tropes, and also not afraid to twist them and give them a new perspective.  A freaking colossal game if you want to 100% it.  There's tons of value in this game.. and by the time you're done.. you've felt like you've gone on this huge journey with this group of characters. It's got a GREAT turn based battle system, is easy to play, and beautifully presented.

The graphics in the game are just gorgeous.  The environments can look absolutely beautiful in some ways, but just OK in others.  The style is perfect, but for the future they need to improve some of the rough edges.  The OST is absolutely great.  I didn't mind the midi sound at all honestly, and got used to it, but some people really didn't like it.  The orchestrated versions though are beautiful as well and sound amazing.  They can easily be modded in if you like them on PC.

The CGI videos are also stunning in this game.  I love when games use them sparingly and to great effect.. and this game does just that.

Dragon Quest has always been a prestigious RPG series.. always neck and neck with Final Fantasy, and even better in the eyes of some.  Well, it's quite easy to say that Dragon Quest is a better franchise these days than Final Fantasy.  If Square only showed the same level of respect to the classics in modern Final Fantasy games that these Dragon Quest games show to their classics, then that might be contestable.. but these games are just executed to perfection.. FF games are just jumbled messes.  In the end though, DQ11, while not perfect, is extremely well polished and designed.  There's some problems with it being a bit on the easy side at times and sometimes quite difficult, and there's some QoL improvements they could make.. but it's an Epic adventure none the less and my GOTY :smoke:

9.5/10 

There you have it.   Now bring on 2019 and RE2, Sekiro and DMC5 :blessed: 

9 hours ago, Bodycount N said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Sea of Z's giphy.gif

Reveal hidden contents

Obra Dinn tenor.gif

Reveal hidden contents

Forza giphy.gif

Reveal hidden contents

celeste giphy.gif

Hide contents

Beat saber Loop-Laugh.gif

Move over 40yr old who does tech analysis at digital foundry

LMFAO. My thoughts exactly. :D:D:D

Lists not final:

non VR:

Dragon Quest XI

Monster Hunter World

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Dad of War

Detroit: Become Human

PSVR:

To The Top

Wipeout: Omega Collection

Astro Bot Rescue Missions

Moss

Borderlands 2 VR

1 hour ago, Team 2019 said:

Celeste limited print in January. Remij. This shit better be worth the hype. 

I'm obviously getting it, but I think I might get overhyped. 

Play until you unlock some B sides. The "story mode" of the game didn't really do much for me, but the B and C sides elevated it to something special.