Dev speculating next gen will have 12 gigs usable RAM

I think he's wrong, he's speculating on dedicated VRAM which I do not think has even a remote chance of happening. They'll no doubt go pooled again and at least on the Xbox side I can see them pushing beyond 16 GB's, 24 GB's sounds much more realistic.

He's talking about games not using that much RAM and yada, yada but that's relative to what's available now. If we're going into a generation of primarily or maybe entirely UHD resolution all textures and assets are going to be designed around this and there needs to be considerable capacity and bandwidth to handle it. Look at the Xbox One X for example, they had to sacrifice a 4K render of the OS for more available memory to games and they're already at 12 GB's for current generation hardware, rendering technology and art assets.

7 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I think he's wrong, he's speculating on dedicated VRAM which I do not think has even a remote chance of happening. They'll no doubt go pooled again and at least on the Xbox side I can see them pushing beyond 16 GB's, 24 GB's sounds much more realistic.

He's talking about games not using that much RAM and yada, yada but that's relative to what's available now. If we're going into a generation of primarily or maybe entirely UHD resolution all textures and assets are going to be designed around this and there needs to be considerable capacity and bandwidth to handle it. Look at the Xbox One X for example, they had to sacrifice a 4K render of the OS for more available memory to games and they're already at 12 GB's for current generation hardware, rendering technology and art assets.

Stop predicting