Gen Z is completely fucked up because of social media

7 hours ago, dakur said:

It's interesting how social media has evolved from stuff that was pretty anonymous and faceless like ICQ, forums, etc and where all content was basically written. To something less anonymous and with less written content like Facebook and Twitter and now kids are only on stuff like Instagram and Snapchat which favor images and videos over actual written content. It shows a prevalence of appearance over actual content even if we are less anonymous it is also more superficial...  

I was looking up old websites that I used to go to read news. For video games, I used to read joystiq.com, I used to read Consumerist.com

My web browsing habits from 3-4 years ago are significantly different than they are today. And almost completely different from about 10 years ago.

The internet is now becoming "Public space". When you are at a major website, it should be considered the same as being as a "major public space."

And in that sense, YES, we do need to get rid of anonymity. If you were standing in the middle of a Walmart, or a football stadium and started saying racist, prejudiced stuff to troll people. You'd get removed. People would see your face, and know who you .

Same should apply at major websites. People don't deserve anonymity for what should now be seen as a common public utility. Especially if the website is not a pay-service website, but designed to be mostly free and social.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Word. I was thinking of archiving all the old post and only allowing the og members access to them. Worry some motherfuckers will see the crazy shit we posted back in the day and try to ruin our perso

It's interesting how social media has evolved from stuff that was pretty anonymous and faceless like ICQ, forums, etc and where all content was basically written. To something less anonymous and with

Just now, jehurey said:

Same should apply at major websites. People don't deserve anonymity for what should now be seen as a common public utility. Especially if the website is not a pay-service website, but designed to be mostly free and social.

I haven't fully formed an opinion on this, yet.  On one hand, the vast majority of people spouting bigoted bullshit getting named and shamed is generally a good thing.  If you do these things in public, you pay a social price.  That's how society enforces norms.  On the other hand, there are many places in the world that use these social media sites to organize against truly oppressive regimes, and anonymity is crucial in those countries.

I don't feel bad for a racist losing their job because they went into a very public forum and started spouting racist shit.  This ain't the 90's anymore.  Everyone has an internet-connected camera on their phone and you have had 10 years to adjust yourself to that idea.  It's like celebrities taking nudes.  At one point they had an expectation of privacy, but that was before The Fappening.  If you take nudes of yourself in 2019, you should expect them to get out sooner or later because you've seen it happen to other celebrities over and over again.  Same thing here.  Make a scene because some woman's speaking arabic or spanish, get caught on video and have it posted online.  Deal with it.

11 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I was looking up old websites that I used to go to read news. For video games, I used to read joystiq.com, I used to read Consumerist.com

My web browsing habits from 3-4 years ago are significantly different than they are today. And almost completely different from about 10 years ago.

The internet is now becoming "Public space". When you are at a major website, it should be considered the same as being as a "major public space."

And in that sense, YES, we do need to get rid of anonymity. If you were standing in the middle of a Walmart, or a football stadium and started saying racist, prejudiced stuff to troll people. You'd get removed. People would see your face, and know who you .

although there is nothing preventing anyone from creating fake accounts and using them on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or those eComerce websites.

This would be real-world akin to walking about in disguise concealing your real identity. 

So it should be a free choice to keep anonymity of your identity / real self in the virtual world just as you can in the real world. 

Edited by The Mother Fucker
Just now, The Mother Fucker said:

although there is nothing preventing anyone from creating fake accounts and using them on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or those eComerce websites.

This would real-world akin to walking about in disguise concealing your real identity. 

So it should be a free choice to keep anonymity of your identity / real self in the virtual world just as you can in the real world. 

A good compromise would be verification that a human is the one posting the content.  Ridding the social media platforms of bots alone would reduce the amount of bullshit being peddled.  Jade Helm, Pizzagate, Q-Anon, all that shit would be significantly reduced in scope if it relied solely on actual humans to push it instead of automated bots.

I'd say.......and I hope Elon Musk implements this with his vision at Free Internet.

Free internet should be provided, and in exchange for the free public service, you have to register for the service with a valid ID (which means it has to be adults, or people over 16).

And paid internet should offer the ability to have some anonymity.

I remember a couple of years ago Blizzard tried making Battle.net into full name ID, and removing anonymity. People lost their shit, big time.

They're a business, so the customers have that leverage over them. But the way the customers reacted to it just felt sour, like those assholes deserved to have their 1990's 1337 haxxor attitude completely shattered and told to fuck off, and just reveal all of their names.

23 hours ago, Alphonse said:

Word. I was thinking of archiving all the old post and only allowing the og members access to them. Worry some motherfuckers will see the crazy shit we posted back in the day and try to ruin our personal lives with it.

Seriously do that.

18 hours ago, dakur said:

It's interesting how social media has evolved from stuff that was pretty anonymous and faceless like ICQ, forums, etc and where all content was basically written. To something less anonymous and with less written content like Facebook and Twitter and now kids are only on stuff like Instagram and Snapchat which favor images and videos over actual written content. It shows a prevalence of appearance over actual content even if we are less anonymous it is also more superficial...  

I am pretty sure Snapchat and Instagram is what pushed people to go for that visual route.

Hell even YouTube on its basic days was a mere project thingy and I bet you they didn't even have a clue it could get that big and with today's purposes.

I remember YouTube was a place to find an obscure song.

Now you can find ANYTHING on YouTube and some people just religiously depend on it.

Instagram is another thing.

I use it to post my artwork and some others use it to promote their acting careers.

I follow this dude Marlonwebb who used to be decently big on vines but now he is huge on Instagram. Dude is funny as hell and you could easily see this dude is promoting himself to be the next major comedy actor.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/9/18174631/old-people-fake-news-facebook-share-nyu-princeton

Across all age categories, sharing fake news was a relatively rare category. Only 8.5 percent of users in the study shared at least one link from a fake news site. Users who identified as conservative were more likely than users who identified as liberal to share fake news: 18 percent of Republicans shared links to fake news sites, compared to less than 4 percent of Democrats. The researchers attributed this finding largely to studies showing that in 2016, fake news overwhelmingly served to promote Trump’s candidacy.

But older users skewed the findings: 11 percent of users older than 65 shared a hoax, while just 3 percent of users 18 to 29 did. Facebook users ages 65 and older shared more than twice as many fake news articles than the next-oldest age group of 45 to 65, and nearly seven times as many fake news articles as the youngest age group (18 to 29).

51 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

Who would agree to first and last name being shown to anyone lmao 

Well, they have already started doing that on Xbox Live and PSN, although you can change that setting to be private.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if next gen consoles make you show your real name to EVERYONE.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/9/18174631/old-people-fake-news-facebook-share-nyu-princeton

Across all age categories, sharing fake news was a relatively rare category. Only 8.5 percent of users in the study shared at least one link from a fake news site. Users who identified as conservative were more likely than users who identified as liberal to share fake news: 18 percent of Republicans shared links to fake news sites, compared to less than 4 percent of Democrats. The researchers attributed this finding largely to studies showing that in 2016, fake news overwhelmingly served to promote Trump’s candidacy.

But older users skewed the findings: 11 percent of users older than 65 shared a hoax, while just 3 percent of users 18 to 29 did. Facebook users ages 65 and older shared more than twice as many fake news articles than the next-oldest age group of 45 to 65, and nearly seven times as many fake news articles as the youngest age group (18 to 29).

I was going to post this.  It's been known for a while that conservatives are a larger consumer block for fake news than liberals.  It doesn't surprise me that old people are the ones sharing it the most.

I still think we can mitigate this by requiring verification of identity.  Removing bots from social media will go a long way towards keeping actual fake news from propagating.

1 hour ago, McWicked said:

I was going to post this.  It's been known for a while that conservatives are a larger consumer block for fake news than liberals.  It doesn't surprise me that old people are the ones sharing it the most.

I still think we can mitigate this by requiring verification of identity.  Removing bots from social media will go a long way towards keeping actual fake news from propagating.

The effect that would probably have too is it would drive the conservative crowd away from social media since they would probably view it as an invasion of privacy. :D 

14 minutes ago, Ike said:

The effect that would probably have too is it would drive the conservative crowd away from social media since they would probably view it as an invasion of privacy. :D 

Nah.  All the 65+ year-olds still don't know that everything they do online is recorded as a data point in their lives.  They can't conceptualize the invasion if they tried.

People born in late 80's-90's are the last ones who can see the pre and post-social media era, and now that I teach 13-17 year olds its really interesting to see how different a lot of them are compared to even the last decade. Socially awkward and introverted, but Im still pondering if thats because they are into art and stuff, as its common among creative peeps.

I hear its worse with the 10 year olds from what my teacher friend is saying. They are all on instagram and its all about who gets the most followers that gets the most respect.

Maybe smart phones and social media should be regulated like alcohol and marijuana.. It has a major impact on developing minds. Just because it's something that we don't eat, drink or smoke doesn't mean we aren't ingesting it like a drug. 

When a 14 year old girl puts up an instagram post of herself duck facing she's going to sit there waiting for likes and comments, it's a kind of euphoria. If she gets no response or a negative response it then fucks with her self esteem and leads to depression.