VR Flopped, TCHBFR

https://www.cnet.com/news/in-2019-virtual-reality-feels-like-a-dream-gathering-dust-htc-vive-cosmos-oculus/?ftag=CAD-03-10aaj8j

At CES 2019, VR feels like a dream gathering dust

In January 2013, I used an Oculus Rift development kit for the first time. It felt like someone had traveled back in time and given me the keys to the future.

Back then I expected virtual reality headsets would be as common as mobile phones within six years. I expected the technology would evolve so rapidly we couldn't keep up. The problems that were so clear back then -- the cables, the motion sickness, the weight, movement in virtual spaces -- would be swept aside effortlessly and we would bask in virtual utopias the likes of which our primitive brains could barely comprehend.

There seems to be a consensus that we were sold the idea of VR as a consumer product a little too early, and in the context of 2019, that makes perfect sense. We're still trying to figure out how this stuff works, and ideas seem thin on the ground.

"Everyone thought VR would be in their backpack by now," said Tony Parisi, the head of AR/VR brand solutions at Unity, "but it didn't play out that way."

VR flopped.

Meanwhile Sony is still trying to market the idea but we all know Sony loves to push failing concepts.

Remember the Betamax, and the UMD?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Back then I expected virtual reality headsets would be as common as mobile phones within six years."   This guy is fuckin' delusional.  Trying to measure VR success against mobile phones, a

They won't because VR is dead . If it's not included with the console it's dead . And it won't be included with the console .

Posted Images

What does this have to do with PSVR?

This is clearly talking about stand-alone high-end VR not taking off for the PC market.

PSVR has an actual foundation of support that is keeping it alive.  Something that high-end PC VR does not have.

4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

What does this have to do with PSVR?

This is clearly talking about stand-alone high-end VR not taking off for the PC market.

PSVR has an actual foundation of support that is keeping it alive.  Something that high-end PC VR does not have.

PCVR games are making developers more money than PSVR games though.

And the companies involved on the PC certainly have more to gain than Sony does currently from remaining in VR.  Sony has a history of starting, or trying something, and then dropping after it doesn't hit their projections.  Facebook is much more invested in VR than Sony at this point.

PCVR has also done much better in 2018 than it did the year before, so it's growing... just not at the rate they were hoping.

52 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

PCVR games are making developers more money than PSVR games though.

And the companies involved on the PC certainly have more to gain than Sony does currently from remaining in VR.  Sony has a history of starting, or trying something, and then dropping after it doesn't hit their projections.  Facebook is much more invested in VR than Sony at this point.

PCVR has also done much better in 2018 than it did the year before, so it's growing... just not at the rate they were hoping.

Have you seen Facebook stock from the past 6 months? LOL

Facebook is facing serious questions about its future. There isn't a single top executive at Facebook that currently gives a shit about investing in VR right now to stop the bleeding.

6 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Have you seen Facebook stock from the past 6 months? LOL

Facebook is facing serious questions about its future. There isn't a single top executive at Facebook that currently gives a shit about investing in VR right now to stop the bleeding.

Facebooks stock fell due to fears about security and growth.. Of course they face questions about their future... they also see VR as a big part of their future and future growth.  They're investing in VR far more than any other company.  

6 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Facebooks stock fell due to fears about security and growth.. Of course they face questions about their future... they also see VR as a big part of their future and future growth.  They're investing in VR far more than any other company.  

If you say so.

Saying Facebook's stock is being affected because of their security regarding users' data, and their userbase shrinking is kind of like saying McDonalds is having a downturn because their food has gotten poisoned and many people are abandoning eating meat and becoming vegetarians.

A side-business venture is not going to save them from their main source of revenue falling precipitously.

At the tail end of 2019, I better see a sizeable lineup of Facebook-funded games.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

If you say so.

Saying Facebook's stock is being affected because of their security regarding users' data, and their userbase shrinking is kind of like saying McDonalds is having a downturn because their food has gotten poisoned and many people are abandoning eating meat and becoming vegetarians.

A side-business venture is not going to save them from their main source of revenue falling precipitously.

At the tail end of 2019, I better see a sizeable lineup of Facebook-funded games.

I never said VR was going to become Facebook's priority.  I said they are investing more than the others in VR.. which they are, and I see it as an important part of their future.  I also see Sony dropping out of VR before I ever see Facebook dropping out of VR.. which was my main point in this thread... which is that Facebook is more committed to VR and are willing and able to take the hits necessary to push adoption and growth of VR.

Who else currently invested in VR is more capable than Facebook iyo?

I rather have a failure of a system that produced loads of great games than a commercially viable console with no games like the Xbox. :yeshrug:

Reminds me of the Sega haters back in the days hating on the Dreamcast. The few years it was on the market were amazing.

Fuck people who plays sales and market trends. It's all about the softwares and I'm not complaining so far. 2018 was amazing for VR.