AMD CES Keynote starting.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another way to look at Radeon VII.   Its performance looks comparable to a GTX 1080 Ti.   GTX 1080 Ti launched at $699 2 freaking years ago (same price as Radeon VII next month)

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

Ryzen :love:

It honestly looks like they are returning to form, their CPU's are locked down and their GPU's are getting competitive again. It's been a long time coming, I've always respected this company and compared to where they were a few years ago it's been a full stop turn around. 

I mean Nvidia just launched the RTX line and they matched their second most powerful card from that line nearly day and date instead of like a year down the line or something. I mean lets be honest, the 2080 Ti is the "Titan" of the RTX line, it's not the consumer card, the 2080 is so they're doing good. 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It honestly looks like they are returning to form, their CPU's are locked down and their GPU's are getting competitive again. It's been a long time coming, I've always respected this company and compared to where they were a few years ago it's been a full stop turn around. 

I mean Nvidia just launched the RTX line and they matched their second most powerful card from that line nearly day and date instead of like a year down the line or something. I mean lets be honest, the 2080 Ti is the "Titan" of the RTX line, it's not the consumer card, the 2080 is so they're doing good. 

For enthusiast levels yeah they're matching, maybe exceeding without the ray-tracing beta testing intact. They still haven't announced any mid to low range so I expect they'll announce Navi at Computex.

1 minute ago, Carlos Vela said:

Radeon 7 still gonna take a shit load of watts to power. 

285watts  just like Vega 64 most likely

Does anyone really give a shit about this though lol? I think it's just a point to bitch rather than anything that's actually cared about. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
11 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

Radeon 7 still gonna take a shit load of watts to power. 

285watts  just like Vega 64 most likely

Maybe, and the Vega 64 was higher than 285 watts under load; it had a 295W TDP and consumed upwards of ~400w of power from the wall under certain conditions. Radeon 7 is using a different, more efficient process node on much better silicon. We'll see how it does when they come out in February.

Edited by lynux3
5 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Does anyone really give a shit about this though lol? I think it's just a point to bitch rather than anything that's actually cared about. 

It does matter because the more power consumption the more heat dissipation which ultimately requires more cooling capacity. The RX Vega 64 had a TDP of 295W... I'd need quite a bit of rad real estate to keep the thing under control. One of the main reasons I went with the 1080 Ti.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

@lynux3

So that $699 price includes Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry V, and The Division 2. 

I'm assuming it's just for the promotional period... would be interesting if the games went away and the card was cheaper. Either way, that's a crazy good value. Much better than having something like ray-tracing.

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

I'm assuming it's just for the promotional period... would be interesting if the games went away and the card was cheaper. Either way, that's a crazy good value. Much better than having something like ray-tracing.

I mean if you were going to jump in day one there's a lot of value there to offset the price at least.

Either way I'm not interested in their GPUs. Just their CPUs. I think we're going to learn a lot more about Ryzen 3000 series and Navi at Computex. I was honestly expecting a lineup of Ryzen 3000 series desktop CPUs with core counts, threads, TDP and prices for some of them. Didn't really get any of that except that their supposed "mid-range" Ryzen (supposed to be Ryzen 5) can outperform Intel's highest end desktop CPU... which is pretty embarrassing. :mj: 

The 8C/16T is supposed to be a Ryzen 5 that can boost to 4.8GHz with a TDP of 95W for $229.99 if the leaks are true. If that is what they demonstrated Intel just got raped. A mid-range Ryzen smoking Intel's highest end i9 9900K. :D

8 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

Are any of you actually interested in these high end cpus and of so for what reason ? Not trolling .

Mostly in a datacenter type environment. There's way too many applications to go through, but having the best most efficient single socket processor based on a bleeding edge design and process node running in servers in racks across cab after cab is pretty sick. The cool thing though with AMD is that the design trickles down to HEDT and regular desktops. The Ryzen 3000 series isn't even considered a "high end" CPU, it's in a different segment.

EPYC = Datacenter

Threadripper = HEDT

Ryzen = Regular Desktop

All are based on the Zen architecture.

The biggest benefits is everything gets that much faster, but ultimately your application is only as good as the developer.

But in practice how much faster would one of these be for normal people tasks on a computer ? Would it even be that noticeable from a 2 year old cpu? 

And for gaming will it even matter ? My CPU usage in games is extremely low , and there are lots better cpus out there .

Seems like a power race that can't be taken advantage of . Gpus you can always max .  But I don't really know shit about this lol was just curious