AMD CES Keynote starting.

10 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

But in practice how much faster would one of these be for normal people tasks on a computer ? Would it even be that noticeable from a 2 year old cpu? 

And for gaming will it even matter ? My CPU usage in games is extremely low , and there are lots better cpus out there .

Seems like a power race that can't be taken advantage of . Gpus you can always max .  But I don't really know shit about this lol was just curious 

It depends on what you're doing. Are you a content creator or a developer? Then yes. Are you a regular end user? Probably not and if you do it'll be minor unless you got a really shitty 2 year old CPU in which case it may be a big difference.

For gaming it'll matter to some extent. An Intel 7th gen CPU versus a Ryzen 1000 series CPU there were significant framerate advantages in Intel's favor at 1080p and 1440p, but the gap closed going upwards to 4K. Intel is still the king when it comes to gaming right now with their CPUs.

The thing about the Ryzen 3000 series is that we're going to see the gap become insignificant, closed or exceeding Intel for gaming and just overall performance.

Edited by lynux3
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another way to look at Radeon VII.   Its performance looks comparable to a GTX 1080 Ti.   GTX 1080 Ti launched at $699 2 freaking years ago (same price as Radeon VII next month)

But doesn't the gap for cpu performance only matter once your getting like 150fps +?

Can't most modern CPUs get framrates that won't even matter for 95 percent of gamers ?

Just now, Jon2B said:

But doesn't the gap for cpu performance only matter once your getting like 150fps +?

Can't most modern CPUs get framrates that won't even matter for 95 percent of gamers ?

Yeah pretty much, but it's all about how big your e-penis is. lol

I mean if I was doing a budget 1080p/1440p gaming build I'd get a Ryzen 5 2600 with a GTX 1060 or RX 580/590 and be happy enough with the framerate.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

So, they aren't improving as much on the GPU front as they are with their CPUs?  Aw well.

Nope and expected. The shitty thing is that they didn't even really talk much about Ryzen 3000 series desktop CPUs. All they showed was that their allegedly mid-range CPUs outperformed Intel's highest end CPU.

4 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Their CPU technology is or rather has surpassed Intel, in terms of GPU's they're catching up to Nvidia. 

They're a generation behind.  Their 7nm best is barely able to keep pace with the mid-high end 12nm RTX 2080 which... is "wasting" all that die space on RT and Tensor cores...  Their power consumption is horrid... they're extremely inefficient... The thing is expensive as hell for what is essentially a last gen part.  And 16gb ram is a fucking waste for that card.

What a joke.

By the time AMD comes with Navi or whatever, (which will very likely also not support rat-tracing) Nvidia will have the next generation RTX cards ready to go... will be much more power efficient, have even more cores and better RT performance... more titles will support DLSS and take advantage of other Turing architectural improvements..  AMD is going to get smoked.... again.

FLOP :facep: 

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

They're a generation behind.  Their 7nm best is barely able to keep pace with the mid-high end 12nm RTX 2080 which... is "wasting" all that die space on RT and Tensor cores...  Their power consumption is horrid... they're extremely inefficient... The thing is expensive as hell for what is essentially a last gen part.  And 16gb ram is a fucking waste for that card.

What a joke.

By the time AMD comes with Navi or whatever, (which will very likely also not support rat-tracing) Nvidia will have the next generation RTX cards ready to go... will be much more power efficient, have even more cores and better RT performance... more titles will support DLSS and take advantage of other Turing architectural improvements..  AMD is going to get smoked.... again.

FLOP :facep: 

16GB of HBM2 is perfect for that card... since it's basically a workstation GPU. :drake: They are a generation behind. Vega II is nothing more than a refined Vega at 7nm. Navi is going to be the same story as Vega, but much more efficient. GCN is a flop, time to move on AMD. :reg:

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

16GB of HBM2 is perfect for that card... since it's basically a workstation GPU. :drake: They are a generation behind. Vega II is nothing more than a refined Vega at 7nm. Navi is going to be the same story as Vega, but much more efficient. GCN is a flop, time to move on AMD. :reg:

It's basically a workstation card.... that they're trying to sell to gamers... :drake: 

AMD is a flop.  Fuck their GPU Division :juggle: 

1 minute ago, Jon2B said:

Since I've been looking at gpus lately I don't even see anything from amd I consider and I barely know about gpus and shit like that .

It depends on your budget really, what you're looking to do and whether or not you care about beta testing few and far between features like DLSS and ray-tracing.

Just now, Remij_ said:

It's basically a workstation card.... that they're trying to sell to gamers... :drake: 

AMD is a flop.  Fuck their GPU Division :juggle: 

It's real sad. They're hanging by a thread on the GPU front. :puke:

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

It depends on your budget really, what you're looking to do and whether or not you care about beta testing few and far between features like DLSS and ray-tracing.

Well I'm not looking to high end cards . 

I'm probably gonna get a 2060 and that's more than what I need for 1080p60 .

4k is too expensive on PC .

And with those 150wtish cards I can just out one in my Dell . Amd I'd have to get a new PSU .

That's why I was waiting to see if that 250 dollar 1080 level card at 150watts was a real thing coming soon 

Just now, Jon2B said:

And with those 150wtish cards I can just out one in my Dell . Amd I'd have to get a new PSU .

That's why I was waiting to see if that 250 dollar 1080 level card at 150watts was a real thing coming soon 

Wait till you find out that your RTX 2060 is better and faster at 4K than your Xbox One X :shrug: 

4K/30 is easily doable on that card at console settings.  So don't write it off.

Just now, Jon2B said:

Yeah, you're probably better off just getting the RTX 2060. The Navi GPUs aren't going to be out for awhile and we don't even know when they're going to be announced.

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Wait till you find out that your RTX 2060 is better and faster at 4K than your Xbox One X :shrug: 

4K/30 is easily doable on that card at console settings.  So don't write it off.

Playing at 30fps on PC is a no go for me .

5 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

For real. 30fps on the PC for some reasons feels much shittier than 30fps on a console.

It feels a million times shittier . Remij told me about locking to 30 in Nvidia settings for TR and that helped a lot but then I played TR on X and it felt much better .