Pachter (Real one, not Dyno): Nintendo will release a Handheld only Switch this year

Ugh, not happy, cause this is something I've also predicted so the odds of it happening have now tumbled.

Imo though it makes a lot of sense. A cheaper handheld only version of the Switch before or alongside the core Pokemon games due for release in 2019 would be a very smart move imo.

https://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-will-release-handheld-only-switch-model-in-2019-ps4-xbox-one-to-receive-price-cuts-predicts-pachter

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One way or another they are both going to be wrong,. 

Switch: 1 XBO: 0.52 PS4: 0.45 Other: 0.76 3DS: 0.19 YoY: Switch: +18% XBO: -32% PS4:-24% Other: +52% 3DS: -56%     Dec Hardware Numbers.  Switch: 1.77M XB1:

I honestly hope they don't do shit... I just bought my Switch.

1 minute ago, Jon2B said:

Wouldn't it be the same thing without the dock ?

If it's like Switch now it would always be in un-docked mode so games would be worse and the joy-cons could be integrated into the chassis. Thinking about it, it would make much more sense to just make a Switch console without the screen for $199 instead.

3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

If it's like Switch now it would always be in un-docked mode so games would be worse and the joy-cons could be integrated into the chassis. Thinking about it, it would make much more sense to just make a Switch console without the screen for $199 instead.

What would make the most sense is if Nintendo stopped creating hardware. 

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Oh shietttttttt

Pachtar says it's gonna happen, SW Pachter says it isn't. How can they both be wrong? 

One way or another they are both going to be wrong,. 

• Haha 3
4 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I 100% think it is more likely they make a handheld only Switch than a console only one. Their handheld market has always been much bigger than their console one and with Pokemon coming out (which has only ever been a handheld game) a handheld only Switch makes a lot of sense. 

2 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

I 100% think it is more likely they make a handheld only Switch than a console only one. Their handheld market has always been much bigger than their console one and with Pokemon coming out (which has only ever been a handheld game) a handheld only Switch makes a lot of sense. 

or they just sell the switch without a dock for 70 bucks less or whatever and you can buy the dock separately if you choose to.  No R&D, nothing but repacking switches in smaller boxes. 

2 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

or they just sell the switch without a dock for 70 bucks less or whatever and you can buy the dock separately if you choose to.  No R&D, nothing but repacking switches in smaller boxes. 

Let's be honest though, that dock is worth like $20 lol They ain't doing any major price cut with selling it dockless. 

5 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Let's be honest though, that dock is worth like $20 lol They ain't doing any major price cut with selling it dockless. 

Well they sell them for 60USD. And switch hasn't had a price cut yet. So realistically they could sell a dockless Switch for 199 and drop the docked version to 249 or something like that.  

5 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Well they sell them for 60USD. And switch hasn't had a price cut yet. So realistically they could sell a dockless Switch for 199 and drop the docked version to 249 or something like that.  

Yeah cause Nintendo accessory costs are truly insane. Plus I don't think they want to drop the Switch price atm, still selling extremely well and profitability is far more important that simply having a lower price point. They will try to keep the same profit margins by reducing costs with a handheld only switch imo.

We'll see I guess.  

13 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Yeah possibly, who knows. I think the Switch does well enough in its current form. It's already sold nearly 7 million units versus 3DS' 24 million units and it hasn't even been out for two years yet. 3DS launched in 2011.

1 minute ago, Cookester15 said:

i just cant see them making a switch with built in controls like some are suggesting. A dockless switch should still have tabletop mode or its not a switch at all. 

Having a 3DS didn't stop them making a model without 3D lol Nintendo don't give a fuck haha

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Having a 3DS didn't stop them making a model without 3D lol Nintendo don't give a fuck haha

yeah but they changed it to 2ds.. what will they call the switch? Will they change the logo? the switch intro? The snap? they can't pull another wiiu and have confusing messaging again.