Digital Foundry - RE2 Demo Analysis - Pro & X 60fps, 2160p

Base PS4  avg 40 FPS 1080p

Base Xbox1 avg 30fps 1080p

- DF considers this build might be the same as the EGX build (including timer)
- All (console) versions include filmic motion blur, SSR, heaps of volumetric lighting etc.
- XB Base and PS4 Base: Final output 1080p. XB One version is reconstructing from lower resolution, not native.
- Both Pro and XBX running at 1620p with elements of reconstruction on both.
- PS4 Pro has 'chunkier' SSR and DoF effects
- PC version has a 'frankly amazing' graphics option.
- Alex mentions to ignore the PC VRAM usage statistic as it is mostly incorrect
- PC has higher resolution effects compared to X/Pro on higher settings
- SSR has smaller blockier chunks on PC
- Distant enemies have half-rate animations (even on PC)
- Do not run the game on DX 12, approx 23% drop in performance.
- XBX and Pro performs 'incredibly' and mostly hit their 60 FPS target
- "Awesome performance in general"
- Base consoles target 60 but do not come close, PS4 is mostly in 40's and XBO mostly in 30's
- On PC RX580 and 1060 fall short of 4K on high presets
- Coming closer to console resolution, RX 580 fares better and both perform better/closer to 60
- 2080TI at max 4K could not maintain 60 in one hall with volumetric lighting, otherwise maintained 60.

2 hours ago, Jon2B said:

I still think the brightness level is broke . Surprised they didn't talk about that 

Use the Rec.709 color space in the options menu.  

Don't get me wrong, it's still a bit all over the place, but the blacks and contrast are much much better.  On PC with Reshade you can get it pretty much perfect though :glad: 

Just now, Remij_ said:

Use the Rec.709 color space in the options menu.  

Don't get me wrong, it's still a bit all over the place, but the blacks and contrast are much much better.  On PC with Reshade you can get it pretty much perfect though :glad: 

I'll try that in full game . Tomb Raider looks like that too thought my tv was messed up but tried other games and they were fine .

The game looks soft like TR is that what TAA does ? I'm not a fan 

2 hours ago, bhytre said:

- Distant enemies have half-rate animations (even on PC)

I knew something was up, I described it in the demo thread. Makes it look like trash sometimes tbh

Yea, I noticed that when walking around that hall with the zombie banging on it.  Pretty fucking shitty.  I didn't notice it any other time though.  They better fix that shit.  Even on consoles... just have the zombie off to the side behind the wall and then have him walk to the window and start bashing it when it's close enough to run at full speed.

Hopefully there's just some setting in a config file on PC that will fix it.  I'm sure some nerd is already drawing up a fix from the demo :fatcruise:

Just now, Jon2B said:

I'll try that in full game . Tomb Raider looks like that too thought my tv was messed up but tried other games and they were fine .

The game looks soft like TR is that what TAA does ? I'm not a fan 

TAA does soften the image, but no, it has nothing to do inherently with the color space and range.

Oh and I don't agree with them that both consoles use the reconstruction technique.  Looking at NXGamers video and in this very DF video, you can tell that the Xbox One X is running at the higher resolution.  I'm almost certain that the PRO is running at half the horizontal resolution.  I've noticed it in a few areas that there's long jaggies on straight vertical objects.  The statue in the main hall shows it clearly.  Also you can tell that the DOF on the X1X is higher quality as well.  It also softens the image.

So I'd say X1X is native 2880x1620 and PRO is 1440x1620.  That's my guess.

3 hours ago, Jon2B said:

I still think the brightness level is broke . Surprised they didn't talk about that 

I agree.  It bugged me the whole time while playing the demo.  Almost like there was a filter.  

3 hours ago, Bodycount N said:

There's really no debate, PS4 Pro > PS4> PC> BonerX > Bone >>> Remij's PC.

All of this means nothing when the PS4 version is the 'Real' version and the others are ports.

They don't even sell the other two versions in Japan.

:mj: 

X1X

8acHqsR.png

PRO

XgdeaFb.png

Remij's PC

46745552161_f26eafe3d7_k.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: 

Just now, -GD- said:

it looks better on your pc, remij. however, i think it looks good across the board. there are some issues, but i feel the devs nailed the atmosphere. 

Oh for sure.  It's fucking awesome on everything. (except maybe the original Xbox One) but still awesome.

It's an old build too.. pretty much the E3 build.. so I'm fairly confident that certain little issues will be fixed for the full game.  

2 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Oh and I don't agree with them that both consoles use the reconstruction technique.  Looking at NXGamers video and in this very DF video, you can tell that the Xbox One X is running at the higher resolution.  I'm almost certain that the PRO is running at half the horizontal resolution.  I've noticed it in a few areas that there's long jaggies on straight vertical objects.  The statue in the main hall shows it clearly.  Also you can tell that the DOF on the X1X is higher quality as well.  It also softens the image.

So I'd say X1X is native 2880x1620 and PRO is 1440x1620.  That's my guess.

Agreed. This is actually evidenced by the simple look of the game when spread across the four platforms. You can actually see it clear as day. 

The Xbox One S and PlayStation 4 Pro look like they're handling rendering the same while the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One X look like they're handling rendering the same. There seems to be a softness to the native renders which is only evidenced on the PS4 and X. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Agreed. This is actually evidenced by the simple look of the game when spread across the four platforms. You can actually see it clear as day. 

The Xbox One S and PlayStation 4 Pro look like they're handling rendering the same while the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One X look like they're handling rendering the same.

Yep, exactly.