NMH Travis Strikes Back Reviews

Metacritic: 71
Opencritic: 73

Game Informer - 8.25/10

Travis Strikes Again finds a good balance between fun, approachable action and reveling in Suda51 and Grasshopper’s signature style. It’s not the most intricate action game out there, but the simple combat works well as a vessel for several one-off moments that elevate it above its simple premise.

Nintendolife - 8/10

Billed as a side dish, Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes has been prepared with enough love and affection to become a filling meal on its own, packed with the spice and spirit you’d expect from Travis Touchdown. It’s a fun, indie-inflected blast of hack-and-slash which doesn’t change the world mechanically (and don’t go in expecting No More Heroes 3), but its sincerity and energy are charming.

IGN - 6/10

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is a low point for the action franchise. While each of the game worlds try to introduce new mechanics, they all devolve into predictable fights with waves of bland enemies. Slicing through them with the Beam Katana isn’t as satisfying as before because of the mostly top-down perspective. Well-written visual novel sections offer some classic Suda51 humor, but it’s not enough to elevate Travis Strikes Again to more than just a monotonous, disjointed hack and slash game.

Nintendo World Report - 8/10

Travis Strikes Again is a fun game that makes me excited for the future of the series. Spending time in the punk rock hellscape of No More Heroes isn’t something I thought I’d get to do again. That trip might be through the lens of a bunch of fake video games, but all that does is add a welcome twist to Travis’ escapades and add another quirk to Suda’s legacy.

MyNintendoNews - 8/10

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is not exactly the full-fledged sequel fans have been asking for, but it’s a step in the right direction and a sign of good things to come from Goichi Suda. With more than 10 hours of gameplay and further content planned via upcoming DLC updates, the game may very well keep you busy for a while. Another positive take that could be realized from the latest release: it’s a relief to know that Travis is back and he’s most likely here to stay.

COGconnected - 88/100

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is a stylish, edgy, in your face game that is best enjoyed if you really don’t try to take it too seriously. Loaded with pop culture references, fourth wall breaks, hordes of enemies, and more charisma than you can handle.

Eurogamer - Avoid

If it's a parody of older games, the truth is they were rarely this bad. Travis Strikes Again ends up looking - and playing - like a Net Yaroze game made in a hungover fug. Towards its end, as the fourth walls keep tumbling away, it does find some redemption - and any spark that's there is in that final mess - but it's too little, and too late, and so mired in self-reference it feels like Suda is wanking into the void. Is Travis Strikes Again meant to be this hollow? No More Heroes pulled the same trick at various points, with its knowingly empty open world and its mindless mini-games, but there's so little offered in return this time around it feels like the joke's on us. The real truth is, though, the joke isn't funny anymore.

Easy Allies - 5.5/10

GameSpot - 6

This is not the return of No More Heroes you'd hoped for, but it at least shows signs of a series that still has life in it.

Escapist Magazine - 7/10

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes doesn’t invite you in. If you’re unfamiliar with the huge swatch of game history, Grasshopper’s catalog, or even games industry business gossip, this will come off as a less entertaining surrealist action game overshadowed by Suda51’s old work like Killer7 or even No More Heroes. Anyone that can actually speak the language of this game will be richly rewarded by the promise that there may, in fact, still be heroes out there.

Comicbook.com - 4/5

Travis Strikes Again isn’t the No More Heroes 3 that fans have been wanting, as it goes more for a hack-and-slash style approach. But it’s still a necessary and worthwhile spinoff, one that should generate interest in the franchise in its own special way. While parts of the game can be annoying at times, it's got enough enjoyable combat to go around (thanks to upgrades), whether solo or with a buddy. Throw in some extra content that’s sure to appeal to the old-school crowd, along with a presentation that’s right on par with other entries in the series, and you have a game that’s not only a hit, but also just the kind of thing that new players can get into as well.
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Xbox'd 

6/10 at Gamespot and IGN. TSHBR     ...  I would have bought a Switch for a real NMH3. Not this POS.   Lmao, at the sites that gave it over a 7: Nintendolife, NintendoWorld Report,

What a fucking flop lmao    But but I'd rather this than RE2 reeeeeeef

Posted Images

Destructoid - 7/10

Travis Strikes Again has some undeniable lows but the No More Heroes charm and the prospect of co-op lifts it up. Whether it's learning the intricacies of individual types of ramen or watching Travis curse at a talking cat, this is something that could only be born out of the mind of Suda 51 and his team at Grasshopper.

Gamekult - 6/10

The more time passes, the more it seems difficult to be a hardcore fan of Suda Goichi. Whether discovered with The Silver Case , Flower, Sun and Rain or more likely his magnum opus Killer7 , following the career of the most punk creator of the video game can offer his share of high, but mostly low.

Digitally Downloaded - 4.5/5

Travis Strikes Back: No More Heroes isn’t the Lollipop Chainsaw remaster that I’ve been begging Goichi Suda to produce each year over the last four TGS' when I've caught up with him, but it’s a stylish, energetic, amusing and surrealistic return to Suda’s most popular character and “world.” Yes, it might have been a vanity project for a guy that wanted to indulge his love for retro and indie games, but I’ve had a cracking time watching Suda show off just how much of a nerd he really is.

CGM - 8.5/10

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is a great game that perfectly captures what I personally love about indie experiences. They have the power to offer truly unique gameplay experiences in the mainstream market, each of them can possess elements that capture the hearts of players worldwide, and when they’re finished, you simply crave more.

Vandal - 6.8/10

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is a game of contrasts. It is very clear what is your problem: they have tried to make a game of ten hours with the budget of one of five , and the result is a title that does not delve into everything that should and with some very, very repetitive or tedious moments. This can not tarnish all the things that it does well , since it splurges personality, and it has some spectacular moments and surprises.

Dualshockers - 7.5/10

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes might not have been the game in the series that I was hoping to receive a few years back, but it’s no less a fun return for one of my personal favorite characters in gaming. Even though combat and level design are easily the weakest portions of Travis Strikes Again, the quippy writing and wacky tone constantly keep things fun even in the game’s duller gameplay stretches. For a project of much smaller size and scope compared to previous No More Heroesgames, Travis Strikes Again still carries the legacy of the franchise forward in a meaningful way that will hopefully culminate next in a proper third installment to the mainline series.

Press Start AU - 8/10

What would otherwise be a mess is beautifully brought together in Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes. While much more simplistic when compared to its predecessors, Travis Strikes Again is a fun and fast paced action game that commands your attention from beginning to end. It has a few pacing issues, especially towards the end and the co-op implementation might not be perfect, but Travis Strikes Again is yet another momentous trip through the wicked and warped mind of Suda51.

6/10 at Gamespot and IGN. TSHBR :D 

... :( I would have bought a Switch for a real NMH3. Not this POS.

Lmao, at the sites that gave it over a 7: Nintendolife, NintendoWorld Report, MyNintendoNews, etc. :hest:

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Wow all over the place.

Here's another

https://screenrant.com/travis-strikes-again-no-more-heroes-review/

4.5/5

That's how the original was.  Cows and Lemmings flipped a shit when GS AAA'd it.

I'd much rather an HD port of the original over this, but hey, at least Travis ain't dead. :happysad: 

11 hours ago, McWicked said:

That's how the original was.  Cows and Lemmings flipped a shit when GS AAA'd it.

I'd much rather an HD port of the original over this, but hey, at least Travis ain't dead. :happysad: 

Hopefully it sells and helps fund a new NMH3. I fucking loved NMH2 on Wii, such an underrated gem. I wouldn't mind a port of the first two games in one compilation. 

7 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Hopefully it sells and helps fund a new NMH3. I fucking loved NMH2 on Wii, such an underrated gem. I wouldn't mind a port of the first two games in one compilation. 

I'd like for him to have a big budget so he can really fill out his world. If you're gonna do open world it can't be half assed 

2 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

I'd like for him to have a big budget so he can really fill out his world. If you're gonna do open world it can't be half assed 

I don't care for the open world city. They ditched in NMH2 and it was fine as is. 

What matters in NMH are a good story, solid combat, great cutscenes and the bosses. You don't need a hub world for that. 

The problem with Travis Strikes Back is that it looks really low budget. NMH1 and 2 were some of the best sounding and looking third party games on Wii. Grasshopper can do better than this.

I think the fact that the meat and potatoes gameplay is really simplistic, and it probably has significantly less cutscenes and cohesive story is what would hurt this game the most.

The story itself means that it has absolutely nothing to do with the story of NMH1 and NMH2. I'd buy this game if it were on sale.

But the scores are about what I would expect for a quick side game. Hope this gets him back into making NMH3.

6 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I think the fact that the meat and potatoes gameplay is really simplistic, and it probably has significantly less cutscenes and cohesive story is what would hurt this game the most.

The story itself means that it has absolutely nothing to do with the story of NMH1 and NMH2. I'd buy this game if it were on sale.

But the scores are about what I would expect for a quick side game. Hope this gets him back into making NMH3.

I might buy it if there's enough Grasshopper style madness. But it's seem kinda tame and formulaic (by NMH standards). Like the gameplay always seems the same.