The Internet doesn't know what it wants from console hardware

Just now, Team 2019 said:

People keep arguing about Tflops, but isn't memory bandwidth objectively a bigger concern and a bigger bottleneck than GPU processing power? 

Well Microsoft seems to be well aware of memory limitations and clearly won't allow that to be an issue hence their work on the X, and Sony no doubt learned their lesson with the Pro so I doubt there is anything to be concerned about.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah they're competent in completely different things, in terms of 3D rendering AMD's cards fall behind in terms of floating point but their mathematical computing capability is off the charts. 

Lol I’m just saying Vega 64 is like the worst offender when it comes to Teraflop and real world performance.  Since you were comparing Vega 64 to a 1080 I believe 

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

The 4K barrier is the biggest pain in the ass for next gen. The pixel jump is just insane. 

Consoles should have went through a 1440p phase first in all honesty... but that doesn't market as well as 4K!!!

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Consoles should have went through a 1440p phase first in all honesty... but that doesn't market as well as 4K!!!

Of course it doesn't, 1440p TV's don't exist. That would have been a disaster, a no man's land product. 

The irony being the Pro is a 1440p console yet through marketing around 4K they worked around it. There's even more irony than this, it doesn't even have a 1440p display mode :tom:

Edited by DynamiteCop!
23 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

And there you see the difference between AMD TFLOPS and Nvidia TFLOPS..  

14TF AMD = 9TF Nvidia

Wonder if Navi is going to be much different?

True BUT

With a Power Mod which allows a 18% core increase Vega 56 outperforms a GTX 1080 and holds its own vs RTX 2070

The modded Vega 56 is about 12.2 Teraflops

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3382-rtx-2070-versus-power-modded-vega-56

5 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

True BUT

With a Power Mod which allows a 18% core increase Vega 56 outperforms a GTX 1080 and holds its own vs RTX 2070

The modded Vega 56 is about 12.2 Teraflops

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3382-rtx-2070-versus-power-modded-vega-56

Kill your card within a year just to match the competition using power mods :D 

The factory overclocked 3rd party 1080's still beat it though, and same for the 2070s. :] 

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

What do you mean? Sony DID market 1440p as 4k and the cows here DID go along with it :D

20 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

What do you mean? Sony DID market 1440p as 4k and the cows here DID go along with it :D

LOL yea, we can laugh now.. but really the jump from 1080p to 4K is massive.  Especially at a time where technological improvements between generations is smaller than ever, and the so called "diminishing returns" line getting thrown around more and more each successive generation.  It was a big jump to hit that mark and a big dedication of resources just to improve the clarity of the image and not really push ahead in other areas.  Of course, in this current gen, the new consoles are still held back by their aging CPUs, so there wasn't really anything much else to do but improve resolution.

If either Sony or MS can further improve their IQ using temporal reconstruction techniques or machine learning techniques to where the difference is even less noticeable than this current gen, then I should hope that developers make the right choice and implement them and push the limits as far as possible.

I think this coming gen we'll see a great mix of native/sub-native and 60/30fps games.  Games are gonna be looking real gorgeous though come 2020 :wow2: 

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

The factory overclocked 3rd party 1080's still beat it though, and same for the 2070s. :] 

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

Lol I’m just saying Vega 64 is like the worst offender when it comes to Teraflop and real world performance.  Since you were comparing Vega 64 to a 1080 I believe 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Carlos Vela said:

Well not in the scope of AMD's GCN, you can't compare completely polarised hardware design and architecture that way. A Teraflop is not a Teraflop when the instruction handling is different to reach that figure. 

2 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

Yea, true.

I'm genuinely curious about how or if Navi is going to change things up with regards to how theoretical performance aligns between the two vendors?  So many unanswered questions :lupe: 

Any thoughts on Lockhart and Anaconda pricing or specs? I'm kinda lost, I have no idea what they'll do. 

400 and 600 sort of makes sense, but I'm not sure. 

The idea that specs will be Lockhart >PS5 > Anaconda sounds a bit too ideal of a balance between the three. 

Edited by Team 2019

Let's ignore the realism of release dates for a second.

Why would you ever want a 2021 console release. If PS5 launches in 2019, you're going to have a revision of a Pro most likely by 2022. Why on earth would you ever want a 2021 release. You always have a more powerful console coming down the line, we are no longer bound to the same hardware for 7 years in a row.