The Internet doesn't know what it wants from console hardware

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Not necessarily, look what Microsoft was able to accomplish with the X. Sure it has four more CU's than the Pro however it also has a frequency which is 261Mhz (29%) higher. 

It has a different cooling system, MS knows better than how to balance than forum people. But CUs are preferred over clock speeds to PC counterparts generally.

Edited by Team 2019
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah they're competent in completely different things, in terms of 3D rendering AMD's cards fall behind in terms of floating point but their mathematical computing capability is off the charts. 

Lol I’m just saying Vega 64 is like the worst offender when it comes to Teraflop and real world performance.  Since you were comparing Vega 64 to a 1080 I believe 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

Sony won't take a hit on hardware . They won't feel like they need to. 

Ms might . But I doubt it . Thats why they are gonna make 2 skus 

PS4 they took a hit. Took a game purchase and a PSN sub to break even. That's when they were borderline bankrupt and selling building in 2013 not to go bankrupt. 

6 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

They didn't take a hit, they were making $18 a unit from day one. 

Link? I have never seen this. It was a lose on hardware alone. 

It's next gen, they neither have the profit margin of Pro/X or the same R and D budget for a mainline console. Even the XBox Penelo dude said that hardware price decline over time is shrinking. A year earlier launch will pay many more dividends than any delay, with PSN Plus subs increasing. Your point is completely moot. 

2 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Link? I have never seen this. It was a lose on hardware alone. 

It's next gen, they neither have the profit margin of Pro/X or the same R and D budget for a mainline console. Even the XBox Penelo dude said that hardware price decline over time is shrinking. A year earlier launch will pay many more dividends than any delay, with PSN Plus subs increasing. Your point is completely moot. 

The reason they nearly went bankrupt was due not only to the losses incurred on the PlayStation 3 but also their other failing business ventures.

According to a teardown report from analyst IHS, Sony is making just $18 on each Playstation 4. This may not sound like much, but it marks a massive improvement from the days in which the Japanese firm made huge losses on the sale of games consoles.

According to the report, each Playstation 4 costs Sony about $381 to manufacture (including parts and assembly) and sells for around $400.

“If Sony could build the PS4 for a lower cost it would do so, but if history is any indicator, it would also lower its retail price,” says Andrew Rassweiler, an analyst with IHS.

Taken alone, this figure might sound like much of a coup for Sony. However, the Playstation 3 was sold at a huge loss, with every $599 Playstation 3 costing just over $800 to produce.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

The reason they nearly went bankrupt was due not only to the losses incurred on the PlayStation 3 but also their other failing business ventures.

According to a teardown report from analyst IHS, Sony is making just $18 on each Playstation 4. This may not sound like much, but it marks a massive improvement from the days in which the Japanese firm made huge losses on the sale of games consoles.

According to the report, each Playstation 4 costs Sony about $381 to manufacture (including parts and assembly) and sells for around $400.

I know this. Even when they were at their lowest, they didn't cheap out on hardware. 

Even Cerny made a point on this. 

One thing we could have done is drop it down to 128-bit bus, which would drop the bandwidth to 88 gigabytes per second, and then have eDRAM on chip to bring the performance back up again," said Cerny. While that solution initially looked appealing to the team due to its ease of manufacturability, it was abandoned thanks to the complexity it would add for developers. "We did not want to create some kind of puzzle that the development community would have to solve in order to create their games. And so we stayed true to the philosophy of unified memory."

Just now, Team 2019 said:

I know this. Even when they were at their lowest, they didn't cheap out on hardware. 

Even Cerny made a point on this. 

One thing we could have done is drop it down to 128-bit bus, which would drop the bandwidth to 88 gigabytes per second, and then have eDRAM on chip to bring the performance back up again," said Cerny. While that solution initially looked appealing to the team due to its ease of manufacturability, it was abandoned thanks to the complexity it would add for developers. "We did not want to create some kind of puzzle that the development community would have to solve in order to create their games. And so we stayed true to the philosophy of unified memory."

Basically they were going to build a system akin to the 360/One and then shifted later in development to one pool of memory. If they would have stuck to their original plan this would be a very different generation, not necessarily in terms sales but for the developer community as both systems would have been the same general environment for development. 

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Basically they were going to build a system akin to the 360/One and then shifted later in development to one pool of memory. If they would have stuck to their original plan this would be a very different generation, not necessarily in terms sales but for the developer community as both systems would have been the same general environment for development. 

These technical details are completely irrelevant, because it was still more than an adequate cost saving solution. The point that given an economical solution, they increased the price, and took a hit with that choice. 

Just now, Team 2019 said:

These technical details are completely irrelevant, because it was still more than an adequate cost saving solution. The point that given an economical solution, they increased the price, and took a hit with that choice. 

Don't try to spin what you said, you explicitly stated they took losses on PS4 and it took a game and PSN sub to break even with the system cost.

You were wrong just own up to it lol, they may have taken a hit to go to pooled GDDR5 but that's within the scope of still retaining profit on each unit sold. 

:jordan3:

22 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

PS4 they took a hit. Took a game purchase and a PSN sub to break even. That's when they were borderline bankrupt and selling building in 2013 not to go bankrupt. 

Console craze for me died with the 360 / PS3, both platforms went out with  a bang.     Meanwhile this generation's games have sucked and were not memorable at all. 

There's only 1 game left that has my interest and that's Cyberpunk 2077, it will be the last video game I purchase.  

Edited by The Mother Fucker
1 minute ago, The Mother Fucker said:

Console craze for me died with the 360 / PS3, both platforms went out with  a bang.     Meanwhile this generation's games have sucked and were not memorable at all. 

There's only 1 game left that has my interest and that's Cyberpunk 2077, it will be the last video game I purchase.  

This sounds like a personal problem shared by almost literally no one else. Sounds like you've changed if anything.