See DynamiteCop... this is why I knew/know that PS5 wouldn't be using HBM

5 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

V3ZDUwf.png

:hest: getting nervous yet, seems Google has no issue using it with their next-gen hardware.

They're using a variation of the Vega GPU... which only uses HBM, dipshit. :mj:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is just common sense. You'd have to be a fool to think any console manufacturer would be using HBM.   Edit: Additionally, seeing that Sony has invested a lot into Navi already and that

4 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

V3ZDUwf.png

:hest: getting nervous yet, seems Google has no issue using it with their next-gen hardware.

lmao, no... not nervous at all.  Those are in servers... not console hardware :D 

What a stupid bump :tom: 

But thanks.. this just adds fuel to the fire I'm going to burn you with :glad: 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

lmao, no... not nervous at all.  Those are in servers... not console hardware :D 

What a stupid bump :tom: 

But thanks.. this just adds fuel to the fire I'm going to burn you with :glad: 

It's a next-gen configuration whether in a server or not, it's custom, it's running a unified pool of HBM2...

:tom:

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It has to be custom, there is no Vega 56 with 16 GB's. Who's to say Navi is going to use something different you fucking moron  

Like I said, the Vega arch only uses HBM. AMD never made it compatible with other forms of memory like they're doing with Navi.

It's a next-gen configuration whether in a server or not, it's custom, it's running a unified pool of HBM2...

:tom:

This is like saying generating energy in a coal plant is the same as generating energy in a car.  Fuck it, we're gonna have coal-powered cars.

484GB/s bandwidth??  And we're supposed to be worried that PS5/X2 will use HBM??  :cruise: 

Bu but Dynamite... this is HBM2.... you were talking about HBM... are you changing your tune?? :drake: 

Dumbo :juggle: 

1 minute ago, McWicked said:

This is like saying generating energy in a coal plant is the same as generating energy in a car.  Fuck it, we're gonna have coal-powered cars.

No it's not, they built a semi-custom system which is exactly what a console is. 

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

484GB/s bandwidth??  And we're supposed to be worried that PS5/X2 will use HBM??  :cruise: 

Bu but Dynamite... this is HBM2.... you were talking about HBM... are you changing your tune?? :drake: 

Dumbo :juggle: 

I thought HBM2 would be more cost prohibitive, apparently not. 

I thought HBM2 would be more cost prohibitive, apparently not. 

It is.  And PS5 and X2 will likely have more than 16GB total ram.

Let me put it this way... nobody is worried about a next gen console with 484GB/s bandwidth with only 16GB of RAM...

GDDR6 will get them to 24GB and almost double the bandwidth...

They absolutely aren't throwing in 24GB of any HBM memory and doubling the bandwidth... that would be extremely cost prohibitive.. and there's no benefit over GDDR6.  It's not happening.

Mass market products will use GDDR6... book it.

5 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

No

Either way, HBM or GDDR will work. It's been rumored that Navi will be supporting both HBM and GDDR. Seeing that HBM costs a lot more than GDDR it just makes more sense that console manufacturers will go with the cheaper solution.

8 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Either way, HBM or GDDR will work. It's been rumored that Navi will be supporting both HBM and GDDR. Seeing that HBM costs a lot more than GDDR it just makes more sense that console manufacturers will go with the cheaper solution.

It doesn't necessarily cost more, it just depends on what speed the memory is like it does with all memory. It's less capacity and more capability when determining cost. I mean it costs what it does in the Radeon VII because it's 1 TB/s of bandwidth, that's absolutely insane, that's double the bandwidth of my Vega 64 with the "same" memory. 

In a console as an engineer I'd also find HBM to be a much better solution anyway because you can eliminate a rather large footprint which dram modules create on the mainboard. Look at all the extra traces needed and how much needless space that consumes, also think about possibly doubling that amount of memory...

digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-a-re

amd-hbm-2.jpg

Edited by DynamiteCop!
3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It doesn't necessarily cost more, it just depends on what speed the memory is like it does with all memory. It's less capacity and more capability when determining cost. I mean it costs what it does in the Radeon VII because it's 1 TB/s of bandwidth, that's absolutely insane, that's double the bandwidth of my Vega 64 with the "same" memory. 

In a console as an engineer I'd also find HBM to be a much better solution anyway because you can eliminate a rather large footprint which dram modules create on the mainboard. Look at all the extra traces needed and how much needless space that consumes, also think about possibly doubling that amount of memory...

Harder to keep cool.  Concentrated hotspots...  HBM is finicky at high temps.  

8 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

In a console as an engineer I'd also find HBM to be a much better solution anyway because you can eliminate a rather large footprint which dram modules create on the mainboard.

digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-a-re

amd-hbm-2.jpg

I'd love to have HBM. It runs decently cool and is low power. I'm awaiting Computex to hear the whole story because that's more than likely when AMD takes the wraps off Navi.

Edited by lynux3
1 minute ago, The Mother Fucker said:

I'm still waiting on that Phantom console. 

I'm still waiting for someone to console me I'm sad and lonely. :mjcry: