@Remij_ So I figured out what was happening, and to be honest the coil whine should have given it away but I didn't want to accept it. My PSU is dying, and this card simply exposed it. I took out my HX1050 and put in my old TX750 and there's not a hint of issue, no restarts, no blackouts, coil whine is at a normal level now and my performance actually increased.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

easy leonard...   

Ahh yeah! Vega 64 masterrace checking in    Get on my cable management level  

I had to put the card on two separate power rails because it was causing the system to restart, this things power draw is ridiculous lol. No doubt less than my 290X combined but those drew from two se

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

@Remij_ So I figured out what was happening, and to be honest the coil whine should have given it away but I didn't want to accept it. My PSU is dying, and this card simply exposed it. I took out my HX1050 and put in my old TX750 and there's not a hint of issue, no restarts, no blackouts, coil whine is at a normal level now and my performance actually increased.

Yea.  You'd be surprised at how many issues people attribute to GPUs which are really caused by low end or dying PSUs.

It's not always the easiest thing to diagnose though.  Glad you found the cause and that your GPU is fine! :fblike: 

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yea.  You'd be surprised at how many issues people attribute to GPUs which are really caused by low end or dying PSUs.

It's not always the easiest thing to diagnose though.  Glad you found the cause though! :fblike: 

I mean the weird thing is it's not something I noticed with my 290X's which arguably use more power. However with Crossfire going the way of the dodo I haven't had it enabled so it was still likely outputting just enough power to keep one going without issue, but this Vega pushed it over the edge. 

14 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I mean the weird thing is it's not something I noticed with my 290X's which arguably use more power. However with Crossfire going the way of the dodo I haven't had it enabled so it was still likely outputting just enough power to keep one going without issue, but this Vega pushed it over the edge. 

Well, wattage isn't the only measurement of how a GPU can stress a PSU.  Depending on the GPU and the quality of materials used, the VRMs could be regulating the voltage differently and could expose issues with a dying PSU that is no longer able to provide a steady voltage.

Also, I have the feeling you're pushing your Vega card harder than you've pushed your 290x's in a long time ;)

27 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Well, wattage isn't the only measurement of how a GPU can stress a PSU.  Depending on the GPU and the quality of materials used, the VRMs could be regulating the voltage differently and could expose issues with a dying PSU that is no longer able to provide a steady voltage.

Also, I have the feeling you're pushing your Vega card harder than you've pushed your 290x's in a long time ;)

I'm just happy to have spare components laying around to troubleshoot because I've had those situations where you go out and buy parts one by one trying to isolate the issue. Nah, I'm leaving the card stock, I'm not that big into GPU overclocking I've always been a CPU guy myself. 

On 2019-02-02 at 8:17 PM, DynamiteCop! said:

@Jon2B What do you get at these settings with a 2060? It's everything maxed out, 2560x1440 with 4X MSAA.

32024752897_2e6c401966_o.png

On 2019-02-02 at 9:05 PM, DynamiteCop! said:

This is what I managed at your settings.

32025097597_4f392d4520_o.png

So with undervolting I went from these to this. I didn't touch the clocks or anything. Now the HBM stays in the high 70's under peak load and the GPU core stays in the mid 70's. It doesn't come close to throttle point now and it's stable. 

A 5.4 FPS avg gain, and a 5 FPS minimum gain at 1440p max settings, a 5.7 FPS avg gain, and a 6.7 FPS minimum gain at Jon's 1080p settings.

@Remij_  This GPU is surprising me, oh, and it peaks at like 220 watts now.

47053389971_fabc07b84d_o.png

32111776947_5eeafdf20f_o.png

Edited by DynamiteCop!
5 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

So with undervolting I went from these to this. I didn't touch the clocks or anything. Now the HBM stays in the high 70's under peak load and the GPU core stays in the mid 70's. It doesn't come close to throttle point now and it's stable. 

A 5.4 FPS avg gain, and a 5 FPS minimum gain at 1440p max settings, a 5.7 FPS avg gain, and a 6.7 FPS minimum gain at Jon's 1080p settings.

@Remij_  This GPU is surprising me, oh, and it peaks at like 220 watts now.

47053389971_fabc07b84d_o.png

32111776947_5eeafdf20f_o.png

Very nice :fblike: