PS5 rumor from Beyond3D (first Wii specs were leaked this way)

i1J8yY.jpg

:] 

Since true next gen games are still a ways away, it looks like Sony is going to pad the launch with updated PS4 games. 

20GB of GDDR6 @ 880GB/s doesn't make sense at all though.  A 384-bit (24GB) bus would only give them 864GB/s.. and a 20GB (10 chips of 2GB) would require a cut down bus... and they aren't anywhere close to getting that bandwidth.

I'm guessing it's a combination of the GDDR6 bus and the DDR4 bus? 

Could all be horseshit though...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can just imagine how insane the tech demo's for this thing are going to be though     God I want next gen to get here quick.  I'm tellin yall... mesh shaders and meshlets are going to push

How many gamecubes duct taped together is it?

The only true metric     Let's just say... a LOT.  

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Sounds great.... but also sounds like 599 US all over again. 

Honestly I'd much rather have that and a console that has reasonably decent specs. PS4 had a low pricepoint but was outdated tech months before it even launched. 

I get that 599 won't fly for the average consumer tho.

Just now, Casual said:

Honestly I'd much rather have that and a console that has reasonably decent specs. PS4 had a low pricepoint but was outdated tech months before it even launched. 

I get that 599 won't fly for the average consumer tho.

with a 599 PS3 ....Sony's gaming division lost all of the PS1 and PS2 profits on PS3 alone.

They could always launch with a decent PS5 like they did with 4 and then launch a more powerful  refresh system in year 2 for 599.

599 out the gate as the only sku?   that's going to be a tough sell for the masses.

4 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

with a 599 PS3 ....Sony's gaming division lost all of the PS1 and PS2 profits on PS3 alone.

They could always launch with a decent PS5 like they did with 4 and then launch a more powerful  refresh system in year 2 for 599.

599 out the gate as the only sku?   that's going to be a tough sell for the masses.

I think that's simplifying it a bit though. PS3 had a lot of problems for the first few years, it wasn't just the price. It was the fact that it was high priced AND didn't perform nearly as well as it should have for that price (multiplats were still better on 360, the thing was a mess to develop on, etc) AND it didn't have a compelling library of exclusives. If it had actually performed like a premium priced console should have and had some exclusives to back it up, who knows how it goes. 

I agree though that it wouldn't be smart for it to be the only SKU. Though I'd prefer both SKUs are availalble at launch. Staggered releases suck for a number of reasons. 

Edited by Casual
Just now, Casual said:

I think that's simplifying it a bit though. PS3 had a lot of problems for the first few years, it wasn't just the price. It was the fact that it was high priced AND didn't perform nearly as well as it should have for that price (multiplats were still better on 360, the thing was a mess to develop on, etc) AND it didn't have a compelling library of exclusives. If it had actually performed like a premium priced console should have and had some exclusives to back it up, who knows how it goes. 

I agree though that it wouldn't be smart for it to be the only SKU. Though I'd prefer both SKUs are availalble at launch. Staggered releases suck for a number of reasons. 

Yea PS3 had other issues.... but the major issue for consumers was the launch price. 

Almost 700 US after Taxes and over 700 with just the system and one game?   That's madness. 

I can just imagine how insane the tech demo's for this thing are going to be though :whew: 

God I want next gen to get here quick.  I'm tellin yall... mesh shaders and meshlets are going to push game geometry through the roof.  Combine that with mixed floating-point precision, variable rate shading and improvements to image reconstruction techniques.. as well as machine learning (not just for image reconstruction, but for developers to improve textures and develop games faster) are going to make for absolutely mind-blowing gfx.  CPUs which are finally close to, or on par with, PCs which are actually properly threaded for 8 cores/16 threads... means more physics and AI calculations and draw-calls than ever before.

It's going to be the first gen where shit actually looks CG.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

Yea PS3 had other issues.... but the major issue for consumers was the launch price. 

Almost 700 US after Taxes and over 700 with just the system and one game?   That's madness. 

It's a lot sure, but it's all relative. 

It was $200(?) more expensive than 360 but didn't perform any better...arguably worse. It also launched a full year later. If they launched in the same year and the PS3 actually performed like something that costed $200 more, I think it would have done fine honestly. 

If PS5 launched under those circumstances AND with TLOU2 day one, I think they do well. 

I still think they release a cheaper version alongside it, but releasing the cheap version first and then the better one two years later would be terrible. 

Just now, Casual said:

Another factor for PS3s price was that at that point in time you could build a reasonably competent PC for a little extra money. 

Now? Not so much, it would still come in well below a decent PC. 

The casual masses aren't building gaming PCs.  While all your points are valid... those are points that apply to gaming enthusiasts. 

4 minutes ago, Casual said:

Another factor for PS3s price was that at that point in time you could build a reasonably competent PC for a little extra money. 

Now? Not so much, it would still come in well below a decent PC. 

I think $499 should be the new standard that people accept.  That's nothing for a product that's expected to last 5-7 years.  If people want hardware upgrades to be meaningful then they'll have to accept that the manufacturers also need to make some money off of it.  It's not the early 2000's anymore..  Tech is slowing down and these huge chips cost a lot to produce on the worlds leading edge fabrication processes.

With the right software and features... $499 is a steal.