OG Resident Evil 2 >>>>>> REmake 2

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Resident Evil 4 > Both  

the original was easy as fuck  you high, nigga? 

34 minutes ago, Ramza said:

No I haven't, which is why I specify it, these are my early impressions. Not like they are set in stone yet but I doubt that will change.

Items management is almost too easy, I can take everything with me no problem. Yeah I can see how this makes sense trying to avoid Mr X though.

Puzzles are annoying, it's mostly a bunch of bullshit passwords you find in documents, forcing you to backtrack. They various keys to open doors are fine and typical RE business. Might as well look the passwords up on the internet and not bother though.

If I had never played the original RE2, I would just think less of this series. The story and tone are not grabbing me at all. Weirdly enough. 

You simply said "Fuck you if you disagree" in the OP.. don't give me that "early impressions" bullshit :D 

Play on a harder difficulty..

You're not going to convince me this is anything other than a result of you being a more jaded gamer now than you were 21 years ago... sorry man. 

And I'm not saying it's perfect.  I thought the story could have been done better as well... some of the boss fights are dumb, as Bhytre said.. and certain things from the story and characters don't coalesce as well as they should.  Leon and Claire don't contact each other enough to sell the cutscene dialog that they have between each other in many instances.  By the end of the game, you're like.. ok I've seen you 3 times very briefly... and only two times in person total.. we've gone through hell.. but hey, it's nice to see you made it to this underground laboratory as well, we should leave! lmao

I think Capcom missed a huge opportunity to have the characters develop a relationship with each other and really sell why they should care for each other.  In the OG game there were at least radio conversations between them... between the few instances where they meet.  In the remake they don't.  In Claire's campaign, she could have had a nice scene where she mentioned to Sherry that there was another survivor she came to the dept with and that he saved her life.. in Leon's campaign he could have mentioned Claire to Ada and expressing a need to look for her as well.  They both could have then talked about finding other survivors to each other and explaining a bit of what they've been through up until that point over radio.  Claire could have talked to and warned Leon about Iron's being batshit crazy, and Leon could have had some character development struggling with the realization that the department he was to join was corrupt to the core.  Leon could have found out more information about Chris and what was happening with him, causing him to mention it to Claire and have her struggle with the fact that he wasn't there and that she should have known about it before ever having gone to Raccoon City.

There's LOTS of things they could have done to improve that aspect of the game.  I have no qualms admitting that.  But as a fan, it's easy to just think of those things in hindsight.. or to think that those things are important to everyone.

There's a balance to what they can do, and what they'd like to do, and what fans expect them to do, and what fan want them to do.  Every game has issues, especially games which tackle something like remaking a beloved game which is essentially the pinnacle of the series in many fans eyes.  You're never going to live up to everyone's expectations.  You could blow away some, and disappoint others.. but very rarely is everyone ever happy.

5 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

You simply said "Fuck you if you disagree" in the OP.. don't give me that "early impressions" bullshit :D 

Play on a harder difficulty..

You're not going to convince me this is anything other than a result of you being a more jaded gamer now than you were 21 years ago... sorry man. 

And I'm not saying it's perfect.  I thought the story could have been done better as well... some of the boss fights are dumb, as Bhytre said.. and certain things from the story and characters don't coalesce as well as they should.  Leon and Claire don't contact each other enough to sell the cutscene dialog that they have between each other in many instances.  By the end of the game, you're like.. ok I've seen you 3 times very briefly... and only two times in person total.. we've gone through hell.. but hey, it's nice to see you made it to this underground laboratory as well, we should leave! lmao

I think Capcom missed a huge opportunity to have the characters develop a relationship with each other and really sell why they should care for each other.  In the OG game there were at least radio conversations between them... between the few instances where they meet.  In the remake they don't.  In Claire's campaign, she could have had a nice scene where she mentioned to Sherry that there was another survivor she came to the dept with and that he saved her life.. in Leon's campaign he could have mentioned Claire to Ada and expressing a need to look for her as well.  They both could have then talked about finding other survivors to each other and explaining a bit of what they've been through up until that point over radio.  Claire could have talked to Leon about Iron's being batshit crazy, and Leon could have had some character development struggling with the realization that the department he was to join was corrupt to the core.  Leon could have found out more information about Chris and what was happening with him, causing him to mention it to Claire and have her struggle with the fact that he wasn't there and that she should have known about it before ever having gone to Raccoon City.

There's LOTS of things they could have done to improve that aspect of the game.  I have no qualms admitting that.  But as a fan, it's easy to just think of those things in hindsight.. or to think that those things are important to everyone.

There's a balance to what they can do, and what they'd like to do, and what fans expect them to do, and what fan want them to do.  Every game has issues, especially games which tackle something like remaking a beloved game which is essentially the pinnacle of the series in many fans eyes.  You're never going to live up to everyone's expectations.  You could blow away some, and disappoint others.. but very rarely is everyone ever happy.

Lmao, true, but you know I like to stir shit up.

Maybe my expectations were unrealistic. I need to play more anyway. Man the lickers are annoying as shit, wtf.

Keep in mind, it's not like I think it's bad. Just not up to the OG so far, but that's also one of my favorite game ever made, so yeah.

3 minutes ago, kaz said:

shooty fruity >>>>>>> REmake 2 :mj: 

It sure has better gunplay. Fiddling with the right analog stick the size of your dick trying to get a headshot. :mj:

Pointing out your gun in VR and getting a headshot in one try. :smoke: 

I agree.

I like REmake 2 and I think the game is a great first attempt for blending the two RE styles, but I don't think its a very good Survival Horror game. Key word there, Survival Horror. If I could sum the Survival Horror genre into one word, one word that describes what these games are designed to make a player feel, that word would be struggle. Now games in this genre will take different approaches to achieve this but with REmake 2, there is no struggle. No struggle at all. There is nothing to survive or endure through in the game because there is no threat.

-Zombies? LOL, yeah, whatever... 

-Lickers? Just take a walk. That's it, you can walk right by every single Licker in the game. And it's not like walking is going to cost you much ground or time either since your characters run at the dangerous speeds of a sloth.

-G Adults, what'cha got? Oh, just poison? Herb Mixes completely nullify poison and give me a defense boost to boot. You got nothing now. So get the fuck out of my way so I can go grab some chess pieces.

-Ivy? You have ONE attack and it's a grab. Guess what hard-counters grabs? Yeah, ALL these fuckin' subweapons I'm drowning in. You got nothing. Now get the fuck out of my way so I can go be a chemist.

-Mr. X? Catch a Flash, scrub. Now if you'll excuse me I gotta' go push these bookcases so I can go break something in the Clock Tower.

-G1? He is more of a mini-boss than an actual boss. The only threat in this fight isn't even from him, it's from the environment. It's cramped, crowded and it's easy to get snagged up on a corner or other shit. 

-G2? This is a gimmick fight, not a boss fight. I mean, the fight is literally designed around a "Push This To Win" button LOL.

-G3 and Super Tyrant? The only real boss fights in this game and they are a complete joke. Why? Because I got Herb Mixes for days and more ammo than a platoon, I'm basically in God Mode over here. You two don't have a chance in hell.

That is everything you're going to encounter in this game, nothing in this game is threatening or even close to dangerous. All of this is even made more trivial because resources are not limited in REmake 2, if anything there is far too much resources. I can guarantee most people here can check their item box when they get to the end of the game and you'll find you probably had more healing items than you ever needed, plenty of spare ammo, and plenty of gunpowders and subweapons just sitting there. You are rarely in need of anything in this game because the game just keeps throwing shit at you.

Somewhere along the way when Capcom was making REmake 2, they forgot the whole "Survival" part when it comes to making a "Survival Horror" game. In a lot of ways, REmake 2 feels less like a remake of RE2 and more like a Baby's First Resident Evil. Which is a little ironic considering you can baby proof windows in REmake 2. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not a hater. But this is hardly a perfect game that don't deserve to be scrutinized so far already.

The real RE2 was and still is, I mean 10/10, I wouldn't change a thing. I like it even more than REmake, which is about the only other RE game I'd put on the same high pedestal. 

Top tier

Resident Evil 2 (1998)

REmake (2002)

Mid tier

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

REmake 2?

Resident Evil 7

Low tier

Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Resident Evil 1 

Garbage tier:

Resident Evil 0

Special retarded cousin category tier (non RE games):

Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil: Revelations 1 & 2

20 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I'm not a hater. But this is hardly a perfect game that don't deserve to be scrutinized so far already.

The real RE2 was and still is, I mean 10/10, I wouldn't change a thing. I like it even more than REmake, which is about the only other RE game I'd put on the same high pedestal. 

Top tier

Resident Evil 2 (1998)

REmake (2002)

Mid tier

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

REmake 2?

Resident Evil 7

Low tier

Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Resident Evil 1 

Garbage tier:

Resident Evil 0

Special retarded cousin category tier (non RE games):

Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil: Revelations 1 & 2

I wouldn't even argue with that list breh, except RE2 Remake is a top tier RE game.  :wrists:

Come the fuck on.  It's the absolute best you could hope for from a modern day RE game right now.  Capcom is on their way back.  (I'd say they are back) but they need to hammer it home with a new IP or something.

Just now, Remij_ said:

I wouldn't even argue with that list breh, except RE2 Remake is a top tier RE game.  :wrists:

Come the fuck on.  It's the absolute best you could hope for from a modern day RE game right now.  Capcom is on their way back.  (I'd say they are back) but they need to hammer it home with a new IP or something.

My mid tier is nothing to scoff at and yes this is an improvement and a step in the right direction. Can't wait for DMCV. Capcom <3 

Just now, Ramza said:

So now that we know Resident Evil 2 CANNOT be the 2019 GOTY. Sekiro Shadows Die Twice is now the guaranteed GOTY. No point arguing, case closed.

No.  You fucker.  NO.

But yes... YES Sekiro will be GOTY :smoke: