BF5 DLSS patch and drivers released (Metro Exodus will also support Ray-tracing and DLSS at launch)

Ok, this is kind of a clusterfuck

First here's Nvidia's trailer:

Yes, BF5 is playable at 4K Ultra settings at 60fps with Ray-tracing on Ultra and DLSS.

However, judging from that video, there's a noticeable hit to IQ.  It's obviously not as sharp as the native 4K side.  That said, there's tons of high frequency detail in BF5 which can actually make the game look like a speckled mess at times.  So in some ways it helps, but in other ways it's worse.  That said, in a fast paced game like this, you're probably not as likely to notice.. and the extra FPS will definitely be noticeable.

That brings me to another odd thing about this release.  Right now, you can only use DLSS with ray tracing enabled...  You can use ray tracing without DLSS of course, but you can't use DLSS without the ray tracing being active.  Ok, that's one thing... but also, you can only enable DLSS at certain resolutions on certain GPUS....

LOL.. WHAT? :cosby2: 

2080ti = DLSS only at 4K

2080 = DLSS at 1440p, and 4K

2070/2060 = DLSS at 1080p, 1440p, and 4K

That's just fucking stupid.  Presumably the reasoning is that the 2080 and 2080ti perform well enough without DLSS at those resolutions that they don't need it.  Also presumably, that since performance is already high at those settings, DLSS wouldn't really increase performance by that much at those resolutions on those cards, so they don't enable it because it would make DLSS look bad since it wouldn't improve performance but would degrade image quality.

That's kind of bullshit.  FF15's implementation is better imo, but I haven't tested this yet myself.

Metro will support DLSS and RT at launch and will thankfully not require you to use RT to enable DLSS if you don't want to.  Nvidia also says performance improves up to 30% with DLSS.

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Damn that's a huge hit to IQ, like noticeable the second the video came on. Also DLSS has to be implemented for specific resolutions? It's not just a game wide thing?

:mj:

They have to train the network using specific resolutions yes.  How the fuck else are they going to train a network to take X and make it Y if that's constantly changing?

DLSS can be used at 1080p, 1440p, and 4K... all standard resolutions.  Except here they are limiting the selectable resolutions based on what GPU you have.  I'm really not sure why they have decided to put limitations on it like they have for this game though... The only thing I can think of is that at low resolutions on really high end GPUs, the performance improvement isn't worth it, considering the degradation in image quality, especially at those lower resolutions.

I dunno