Metro Exodus Review thread

Some are rolling in.. and some aren't particularly good... citing technical issues :scared: 

Metro: Exodus looks utterly phenomenal. Incredible vistas paint a contrasting picture of Russia, as the train whisks you through frozen cities and thawing streets to the desert where sandstorms are a threat to both people and buildings. Take a trip after dark and stargaze as the clouds make way for some truly beautiful spectacles, as well as an enemy or two floating in the air. Indeed, while the title may boast of some outstanding visuals, the same can’t be said for its technical performance.

We did indeed encounter enemies suspended in mid-air, alongside glitches that caused us to fall through the world, a framerate that frequently takes a nose dive during heavy combat sequences, and a complete system crash that took us back to the PS4 home screen. It's possible these issues could eventually be fixed via patches, but we can’t ignore the impact they had on our 15 hour playthrough.

What is going to need some serious attention post-launch though are the load times, which put bluntly, are utterly atrocious on the PS4 Pro. While no loading is done once you’re out in the open, the initial load screen for each area can last up to four minutes. It takes you out of the experience completely and becomes a bit of a joke when you’re met with further load times upon death. While these aren’t quite as long, there’s definitely a good minute between you putting down the controller and picking it back up once the game has loaded. It’s a major technical issue that has a disastrous effect on any immersion you may have built up from the previous scene.

Ouch.

Push Square - 6/10

COGconnected - 76/100

GameInformer - 8.75/10

ACG - Buy

IGN - 8.5/10

Fandom - 8/10

Xbox Achievements - 85/100

PCMRace - 8.5/10

Bazicenter - 7.5

GamesRadar - 9/10

The Sixth Axis - 9/10

Gamespot - 8/10

Twinfinite - 8/10

Metro - 9/10

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John from Digital Foundry

All I can say is that, playing on PC with RTX enabled, it's one of the most impressive looking things I've ever seen. Truly a new landmark in terms of visual quality. Absolutely insane. Alex is doing a big video on it soon.

Not sure. I'm running a 2080ti at 4K with DLSS enabled and getting locked 60fps with Ultra preset.

I also played around at 4K with a 30fps cap which allowed me to run with PhysX, Hairworks, Extreme preset and RTX on high at a perfectly frame paced 30.

:whew: 

But still.. I think the consoles are having serious issues.  Another review said the X1X version had fps issues and some game breaking shit. :( 

Just now, Remij_ said:

IGN Italy - 8.7/10

4Gamers - 7.5/10

Apparently PRO has massive fps drops in areas.

@DynamiteCop! There was a day 1 patch for the Xbox One already released.  People who got the game early said they downloaded it.  So I wouldn't expect anything to change.

Eh, to be completely honest 90% of these games that have front loaded issues like this at some point get a patch addressing them. That's why as much as I like things like DF they don't really mean anything because their work is eventually undone and things land in a different position. 

This is why we needed a PS5 this year. Or better yet, a PS4 that wasn't underpowered in 2013. 

Anyway. I'll probably pass on this for now, got a lot of other stuff to play and still haven't got RE2 yet. Maybe I'll get it on a sale down the line. 

5 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Eh, to be completely honest 90% of these games that have front loaded issues like this at some point get a patch addressing them. That's why as much as I like things like DF they don't really mean anything because their work is eventually undone and things land in a different position. 

It's not going to change dude... 

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

It's not going to change dude... 

Yeah because Bloodborne's 75 second load times didn't change, because Resident Evil Revelations 2's horrible framerate didn't change... Breath of the Wild didn't see performance improvements through subsequent patches...

:shrug:

6 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Yeah because Bloodborne's 75 second load times didn't change, because Resident Evil Revelations 2's horrible framerate didn't change... Breath of the Wild didn't see performance improvements through subsequent patches...

:shrug:

More often than not they don't... what you're citing are called outliers.  I'm not expecting 4 minute load times to be reduced any meaningful amount... you're still going to have shit load times.  I'm also not expecting performance drops into the teens to be fixed into performance dips of 1-3 fps...

Of course, for you.. whenever Xbox is concerned... anything is possible :roll: 

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

What about the game.  Its an open world game, I remember there being some train sequence.

What is the moment to moment gameplay like?

It's essentially like this:

Corridor area (like first 2) then emerge to "wide open" levels, which allow you to explore and do side missions, which can include exploring buildings and other tunnels and things like that.  Then you get on the train, and it essentially serves as the base as you travel.  When you stop, you're in another wide open area which has different levels and stuff like that.

It's apparently a good mix of exploring and classic Metro gameplay.  It's apparently quite interesting how they handle it.  One of the issues John from DF had with it is that he loved that type of gameplay loop, but that the scenes in between were often just standing around and listening to people drone on about stuff.  He said it was kind of annoying after a while.  But the parts in between were awesome he said.

4K screens from the PC version (Cows don't apply :hest:)

This game is insane visually.

MetroExodus-2019-02-10-01-53-31-376.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-13-01-30-50-720.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-10-19-06-02-549.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-13-02-10-29-314.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-10-20-37-21-699.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-13-01-36-50-529.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-10-01-48-23-866.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-10-19-05-05-417.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-07-23-32-31-512.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-13-01-29-51-588.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-10-18-59-34-858.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-09-23-33-24-061.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-10-02-08-31-336.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-10-18-10-19-570.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-09-23-00-12-262.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-07-23-52-19-933.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-09-01-22-13-539.jpg

MetroExodus-2019-02-07-23-39-11-927.jpg

The motion blur is fucking top notch in this, and on the PC you can crank up something called shader rate with essentially gives it this really filmic pristine look.

:bow: 

2 hours ago, Casual said:

This is why we needed a PS5 this year. Or better yet, a PS4 that wasn't underpowered in 2013. 

Anyway. I'll probably pass on this for now, got a lot of other stuff to play and still haven't got RE2 yet. Maybe I'll get it on a sale down the line. 

Current gen almost ended up having 4 gigs of Ram, with early 2012 prototypes having a 2 gigs of Ram target. PS4 was anything but underpowered for a commercial 399 console. Don't forget a year before we basically got a PS360 powered Wii U. 

People constantly have unrealistic expectations for super casual commercial console boxes.