Metro Exodus Review thread

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROFL some areas look just plain wrong without RTX.

Obviously this is off the beaten path and didn't receive the same "lighting touches" that most areas would receive, but it shows just how much better RT grounds and accurately lights things in comparison.

Off

rtbounce3off07jc3.png

on

rtbounce3onopjj9.png

1 minute ago, -GD- said:

that's pretty insane ^

I know.  Obviously in some scenes where developers take specific care to really place lights and fake things as good as they can, it can look quite similar.  However, the lighting is still wrong in those scenes, and doesn't "ground" the objects in the scene properly.  With global illumination by ray tracing, there's actually a single light source (the sun) and all the lighting comes from how the light from the sun bounces off the objects in the world.

We've all seen that shit on games... no matter how high of a budget.. there's always areas and nooks and crannies which look like they didn't get treated with the same amount of attention.  Not only does RT make the lighting look better and more realistic/consistent, but it also helps fix those areas, because those areas shouldn't be brightly and flatly lit like they are.  That's why you can see in the screen shot above.. they obviously put no effort into properly lighting and shading that area... but despite that, in the ray traced version, it looks much better because it's actually it's accurately shaded and has proper ambient occlusion, so it's grounded in the scene.

I really feel like Global Illumination will be like Ambient Occlusion was when it first came into the scene.  People couldn't really understand what it was or what it did, because they were so used to playing games without it... "no ambient occlusion" looked "normal"... it wasn't until more games started to use it and improve on it, that it really became obvious how flat thinks looked without it.  Ray traced GI is going to be the same thing.  I bet within 2 years, games without GI (RT or Voxel) will just look completely flat compared to games that incorporate it.

10 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

Maybe I'm blind but RTX doesn't seem to so anything impressive, especially when it affects performance. It doesn't seem worth it. 

Yea, it wont be impressive until Sony does it.. then it's amazing! :roll: 

1 minute ago, MalaXmaS said:

Are the console versions worth it?

Game is coming out tomorrow

They apparently have some issues, and the load times can be reaaaaally long, (4 min) on Xbox.. but other than that, they seem to be not too bad.  Some freezes though, I'm pretty sure a couple reviewers mentioned.

Just now, Remij_ said:

They apparently have some issues, and the load times can be reaaaaally long, (4 min) on Xbox.. but other than that, they seem to be not too bad.  Some freezes though, I'm pretty sure a couple reviewers mentioned.

4 minutes? :|

Maybe I should hold off my purchase and play RDR2 anyways, since it is arriving tomorrow to my door.

Pretty bad that a 1300 video card cannot play this game at 4k with RTX at 60fps lmao

Looks like my 2060 can do max settings with high RTX and manage a close to stable 60fps at 1080p. Ill probably just play without rtx

6 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

Pretty bad that a 1300 video card cannot play this game at 4k with RTX at 60fps lmao

Looks like my 2060 can do max settings with high RTX and manage a close to stable 60fps at 1080p. Ill probably just play without rtx

Eh, the technology is absolutely demanding as fuck.  The fact that a $1300 can do real time ray tracing in a graphically top of the line game at all is actually insane if you want to know the truth.  So I don't think it's pretty bad at all in that sense.  If you want to argue that it's pretty bad that high end video cards are costing $1300 these days, then I'd have to agree with you.

7 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Eh, the technology is absolutely demanding as fuck.  The fact that a $1300 can do real time ray tracing in a graphically top of the line game at all is actually insane if you want to know the truth.  So I don't think it's pretty bad at all in that sense.  If you want to argue that it's pretty bad that high end video cards are costing $1300 these days, then I'd have to agree with you.

Its pretty bad because even gamers nexus said sometimes they would rather play with RTX off because its looks better or no difference LOL RTX flopped

7 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

Its pretty bad because even gamers nexus said sometimes they would rather play with RTX off because its looks better or no difference LOL RTX flopped

As godly as Tech Jesus is, he's wrong about that.  It always looks better.  Traditional lighting can look good, and even close at some point... and then completely garbage at others.  Ray-tracing is consistent in that it follows the same lighting model for everything.  So everything is accurate, an things are much more grounded in the world... ala the pictures I posted above where traditional lighting completely falls apart.