Metro Exodus Review thread

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Lol these pics are supposed to be cinematic. I doubt the blacks would be that pronounced if we were in those locations in person.

From those two pics, one is more accurate than the other from an actual perspective of how light works.  I never said it was perfect.  Real light rays bounce infinite amounts of times off all surfaces.  Of course multiple bounces will brighten up more surfaces because it's receiving more light.... most surfaces in Metro only receive 1 light bounce.  Yea, a paltry amount... yet still infinitely more accurate than the abomination that is the other pic.

6 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

So it's a representation of a camera with poor light correction, that's not realistic. 

It's actually modeling how light works in real life, to a limited degree. It's realistic in how it works.  Much more so than the traditional method.  It also looks more realistic than the traditional method.  It's not even debatable.  You guys coming in here and saying, but it's not perfect, doesn't change that.  It's MORE realistic.. and accurate... no matter how you slice it.

Also, still shots don't accurately reflect how light acts and reacts when other lighting and objects interact with it...  Fake lighting stays static and changes from object to object... modeled lighting reacts appropriately and consistently throughout.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

It's actually modeling how light works in real life, to a limited degree. It's realistic in how it works.  Much more so than the traditional method.  It also looks more realistic than the traditional method.  It's not even debatable.  You guys coming in here and saying, but it's not perfect, doesn't change that.  It's MORE realistic.. and accurate... no matter how you slice it.

Aspects of it maybe but I'd compare the overarching result to viewing something through the lens of a cheap camera, it doesn't properly handle contrast and light correction.  

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Aspects of it maybe but I'd compare the overarching result to viewing something through the lens of a cheap camera, it doesn't properly handle contrast and light correction.  

You guys can argue how realistic it is VS real life all you want... when I'm arguing how realistic it is vs the first image posted. lmao

This... looks COMPLETELY wrong.  The character, the ground.. the wall on the right side of the opening is just as dark as the ray-traced one.  Look how the floor is bright where the wall and floor meet.. there's no light bounce from the floor... and don't even get me started on the soldier :D 

32157572677_b869a26f9e_o.png

Now here, it's much more accurate.  The wall actually receives SOME light bounce from the ground.  It's much more accurate.  Then look at the soldier.. in the top pic, he looks like he's just floating on top of the floor.. the lighting is all wrong.. theres dark shadows and bright spots all over the place.. nothing is consistent with how it would actually be lit.  Here it is... 

47099323621_2fd0f743f0_o.png

The lighting model is more accurate.  As for how dark the shadows are.. who the hell knows what kind of gamma curve or range of monitor or settings this was taken at?

What I'm talking about is the actual modeling of the light.  It's better, it looks MUCH better.. it's more consistent and accurate.  People are just used to fake lighting in gaming.  It'll take a while for that to change.  And listen.. that's not to say that the developers don't have to get better and think smarter when designing their levels and games with this tech.  Because if you're going to model how light works, and place limitations on that model, you have to take into account that this entire area is lit by ONE light... the sun.  There's no fake lights here...  So designing levels so that they player can actually see what they need to see means they actually have to place lights enough that it can actually light what you need to see.  So it takes a lot of planning and work to get it right.

RTX reflections do look amazing. This shadow stuff doesn't, plus note the performance hit. 

It's like global illumination. Look at Witcher 3's primative lighting solution compared to the global illumination in FFXV. The gains for the power usage isn't worth it. At least for now we're we are heavily resource starved on compute power. 

Edited by Team 2019
9 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

RTX reflections do look amazing. This shadow stuff doesn't, plus note the performance hit. 

It's like global illumination. Look at Witcher 3's primative lighting solution compared to the global illumination in FFXV. The gains for the power usage isn't worth it. At least for now we're we are heavily resource starved on compute power. 

No.. it's definitely worth it.  This is how graphics get better...  Again.. people said the same shit every time a new technology is developed to enhance computer graphics.  People literally said, about ambient occlusion... "oh, so it makes the corners all dark?... That's it?" and people didn't want to use it because it had a performance hit... Slightly darker corners wasn't worth it... now? ROFL games just look fucking WRONG without some form of it.  Except even then... ambient occlusion in games today is garbage.. and not even close to accurate.  Just look at ray traced ambient occlusion comparatively.. everything sits more correctly in the world and is much more cohesive.

It takes time for people to change because they're used to seeing graphics done a certain way for so long.. but that shit's changing. :juggle: 

2 minutes ago, Bodycount N said:

Either support the market leader with the best version, or kiss your game goodbye.

I'll stick with ACE 7, RE2, and KH3. Hermits and lemmings can enjoy this sloppy seconds FPS.

Not even worth $20 

Cause it's garbage on PRO :hest: 

I wouldn't blame you :hehe: