Nintendo considering VR?

Nintendo World Report believes that Nintendo could make its first VR-related announcement as early as this year, according to multiple sources. We also believe that a small, select number of traditional first-party software titles may receive VR support in the not-so-distant future. While this news may surprise some, Switch’s VR capabilities have been public knowledge for quite some time. Last year, CNET reported that data miners had discovered a screen-splitting “VR mode” hidden within Switch’s system firmware.

Remij speculated this, said that mobile phone VR is fairly decent. 

VR is where Nintendo morphs from being the best developer/publisher in the world, to the best publisher/developer in the fucking Universe...

VR is how Nintendo raises the bar past pretty much what only they themselves could reach.  There is so much chance for innovation and new gameplay experiences that it's completely obvious that Nintendo knows this is where the future lies for them.  Anyone who's played games in VR already knows of the potential for Nintendo franchises in this space.  You get hints of it with games like Moss, and a pretty good dose of it with Astro-bot.  Other games too, like Zelda and Metroid... Hellblade VR proved to me that 3rd person action/action adventure games can work perfectly and be absolutely incredible.  Hellblade made me think of games like Zelda and Devil May Cry in VR when I was playing it.  It doesn't only enhance first person perspective games... 3rd person games are on another level.

VR would be limited with the Switch, but there are lots of ways to mitigate certain issues, and it would lend itself amazingly to Nintendo's colorful visuals.  A potential Switch successor would be able to drive a VERY great experience in VR.   Full roomscale, improved controls, not being tethered to anything.  It's literally the PERFECT combination.  The hyrbid device which can be used with a dock for TV, handheld for on the go, and snapped into a headset for VR anywhere you are...  That's the type of device Nintendo ALREADY has.. combined with Nintendo's dev talent and innovation in controls, it's literally a match made in heaven for VR.

As far as I know, there aren't any gyroscopes in the Switch tablet itself, so unless they're going to release a Labo headset that holds one joycon in it to track head movement, I doubt they're going to do this.  It'd be a side-project at best.

5 minutes ago, McWicked said:

As far as I know, there aren't any gyroscopes in the Switch tablet itself, so unless they're going to release a Labo headset that holds one joycon in it to track head movement, I doubt they're going to do this.  It'd be a side-project at best.

The headset itself would presumably have built in gyroscopes and cameras.

13 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

The headset itself would presumably have built in gyroscopes and cameras.

:scust: 

The last thing VR needs to be successful is "headset and switch sold separately".  It's GBA->GC connectivity all over again.

41 minutes ago, McWicked said:

:scust: 

The last thing VR needs to be successful is "headset and switch sold separately".  It's GBA->GC connectivity all over again.

:| 

Dude.. are you fucking stupid?  Seriously?  Did something happen to you this past week that you're dense as fuck now, or have you always been and I just never noticed?

We're in a thread talking about VR on the Switch potentially THIS year...  What exactly do you think is the fucking plan here?  You think the headset with lenses doesn't need to exist and people just strap their switch to their face or something?  Did you think that this was referring to a Switch 2? (which would obviously have gyro built into the tablet)  Do you think the Switch 2 is coming this year or next?  Do you think that Nintendo is going to release a "Switch VR" headset which they are one unit?

Rumors from the WSJ were that there was going to be a new Switch released in 2019.. maybe this could be that and it includes gyro in the tablet?  Ok, so what do the other Switch owners do?  Jesus... think for a fucking second.  OF COURSE THE HEADSET AND SWITCH WOULD BE SOLD SEPARATELY.  They ALWAYS will sell them separately no matter if the "Switch 2" was designed with VR in mind or not.

My god :snoop: 

16 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

:| 

Dude.. are you fucking stupid?  Seriously?  Did something happen to you this past week that you're dense as fuck now, or have you always been and I just never noticed?

Crackdown 3 flopped and you threw a fit because you had fun and while the entire forum was making fun of it and its fans, you singled me out because you got butthurt and figured I was picking on you because you closed a political thread that I made.  I don't care that you closed a political thread.  I just reposted it in the official politics thread.  Goddamn, son, let the grudge go. :D 

18 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

We're in a thread talking about VR on the Switch potentially THIS year...  What exactly do you think is the fucking plan here?  You think the headset with lenses doesn't need to exist and people just strap their switch to their face or something?  Did you think that this was referring to a Switch 2? (which would obviously have gyro built into the tablet)  Do you think the Switch 2 is coming this year or next?  Do you think that Nintendo is going to release a "Switch VR" headset which they are one unit?

Rumors from the WSJ were that there was going to be a new Switch released in 2019.. maybe this could be that and it includes gyro in the tablet?  Ok, so what do the other Switch owners do?  Jesus... think for a fucking second.  OF COURSE THE HEADSET AND SWITCH WOULD BE SOLD SEPARATELY.  They ALWAYS will sell them separately no matter if the "Switch 2" was designed with VR in mind or not.

I'm saying it will be a bust.  For some reason you're taking that as a personal slight against you.  Not my problem. :shrug: 

44 minutes ago, McWicked said:

Crackdown 3 flopped and you threw a fit because you had fun and while the entire forum was making fun of it and its fans, you singled me out because you got butthurt and figured I was picking on you because you closed a political thread that I made.  I don't care that you closed a political thread.  I just reposted it in the official politics thread.  Goddamn, son, let the grudge go. :D 

I'm saying it will be a bust.  For some reason you're taking that as a personal slight against you.  Not my problem. :shrug: 

Nah, you definitely went retardo.  It was probably a mixture of that and banning Jehurey for a week.. I dunno, but you definitely wanted to go after me.  I didn't throw any fit.. you were already spazzing out on me before I started back at you.  You never have really ever went after me like that.  You would have focused on Jon and Dynamite normally.. but you were "Remij-ing" everywhere.. it was really obvious you were upset with me.

You didn't say it would be a bust.  The thing that annoyed me about that post... is that in YOUR post.. you raise an issue with the console not having gyro and would need a joycon attachment or something.. and I simply explained that they would simply build that into the headset itself.. then your response back was like I had said something stupid... I looked at it and thought... how the fuck could he scust at my post when his thought was a fucking joy-con attachment?..... You had to have already known and realized that there would HAVE to be a headset sold separately... which also made your response seem completely idiotic in my eyes.

Every form of VR outside of SPECIFICALLY designed all in one VR headsets (Oculus Go/Quest) have some form of "sold separately" aspect to them... PS4 you need the headset.. PC, the headset.. Phones... headset... The Switch is no different... because it's a known quantity and serves multiple markets.  It's unique ability in that it can combine really good aspects from all the different kinds of VR platforms out there works for it. 

So I stand by the fact that your post was dumb as fuck and that was the reason why I responded like I did.. not because you think I've got a grudge.  Stop posting stupid shit in response to me and we'll get along fine.

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

Nah, you definitely went retardo.  It was probably a mixture of that and banning Jehurey for a week.. I dunno, but you definitely wanted to go after me.  I didn't throw any fit.. you were already spazzing out on me before I started back at you.  You never have really ever went after me like that.  You would have focused on Jon and Dynamite normally.. but you were "Remij-ing" everywhere.. it was really obvious you were upset with me.

Aight, well, enjoy your grudge I s'pose. :D 

They already had their patent for using the Switch unit to slide into a helmet and become a VR device.

I'd say that its going to require a Switch 2 to accomplish that.

Unless, the helmet accessory does a couple of things:

1.) You slide the switch in, and it tricks it into thinking it slid into TV mode, and it outputs a better resolution

2.) If its operating at a higher clock frequency, then it needs additional battery power, so either the helmet must have one wire for power, or the helmet must have batteries within it. This could potentially be a safety problem, and more batteries make the helmet weigh more.

3.) The helmet would have to have more sensors to assist with the motion tracking. Probably needs certain types of depth-sensing cameras (Nintendo already has such technology with the camera in the left joy-con.)

4.) All of that would probably make the helmet cost at least $100 more, probably more.

5.) The helmet would have to do something to help smooth the screen-door effect. Maybe the helmet may have to have its own customer LCDs inside of it, and all the Switch unit does is render the stereoscopic images at as high a framerate as possible, and then send the images to the two LCDs inside the helmet.  This would clearly make the helmet every bit as expensive as the PSVR, if not moreso.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that any Switch VR headset would have to have its own LCD's built in, and it wouldn't use the Switch's LCD display.

Its not remotely wide enough to give you the range of vision.