• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Surprised you can hear what he is saying with 10 dicks in his mouth 

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

I have an 8700 and with out rtx and GW it most certainly can maintain a 60 plus fps average .

Going from Extreme to High everything else on (Hairworks, PhysX, Tessellation) I get a ~10fps boost at 4K.

Simply turning off Tessellation (which X1X doesn't use) gains me another 10fps.  

That's a 20fps gain just from going to Extreme with tessellation to High without tessellation.  This is all with RTX turned off.

46393437324_79c5e71b2d_k.jpg

46393436744_5a7490b87e_k.jpg

Notice any remarkable difference in visual quality?  LOL NOPE.  Which is exactly why I've been saying lately, and specifically here that Extreme is needlessly taxing.  This pic wasn't a good representative of the improvements Extreme makes though (motion blur is improved as well as shadows and post processing effects) but it's noticeably nicer in motion.  Very filmic.

High and Ultra look incredible and mostly the same.  Most people could not spot the differences.. and it's certainly not worth the 20% performance cost.

The biggest difference in quality between consoles and PC is in Tessellation, which makes things look quite a bit better in some situations, and RTX.

So that is why I called him out on the benches he tried to post.  Fuck right off with that shit.  PC games SCALE for a reason.. and highest end settings are needlessly taxing.  So it's fairer to compare it closer to console settings.

15 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Going from Extreme to High everything else on (Hairworks, PhysX, Tessellation) I get a ~10fps boost at 4K.

Simply turning off Tessellation (which X1X doesn't use) gains me another 10fps.  

That's a 20fps gain just from going to Extreme with tessellation to High without tessellation.  This is all with RTX turned off.

46393437324_79c5e71b2d_k.jpg

46393436744_5a7490b87e_k.jpg

Notice any remarkable difference in visual quality?  LOL NOPE.  Which is exactly why I've been saying lately, and specifically here that Extreme is needlessly taxing.  This pic wasn't a good representative of the improvements Extreme makes though (motion blur is improved as well as shadows and post processing effects) but it's noticeably nicer in motion.  Very filmic.

High and Ultra look incredible and mostly the same.  Most people could not spot the differences.. and it's certainly not worth the 20% performance cost.

The biggest difference in quality between consoles and PC is in Tessellation, which makes things look quite a bit better in some situations, and RTX.

So that is why I called him out on the benches he tried to post.  Fuck right off with that shit.  PC games SCALE for a reason.. and highest end settings are needlessly taxing.  So it's fairer to compare it closer to console settings.

I think this is more of a future proof concept, rather than realistic modern settings. In the 90s on PC this was common practice, where hardware in 2 years after release could handle highest settings reliably.

Just remember cutting edge shit, Quake series was a perfect example. I mean Quake 2 was the pinnacle of a game simply not designed for full current hardware. 

Edited by Team 2019
1 hour ago, Team 2019 said:

I think this is more of a future proof concept, rather than realistic modern settings. In the 90s on PC this was common practice, where hardware in 2 years after release could handle highest settings reliably.

Just remember cutting edge shit, Quake series was a perfect example. I mean Quake 2 was the pinnacle of a game simply not designed for full current hardware. 

Tessellation costs 10fps roughly on average.. Tessellation, though not in that comparison, makes a HUGE difference in a lot of places.  Absolutely worth it, in my case.  But if you're struggling to get to 60fps or 30fps, then it's a very easy thing to turn off, because although the game looks better with it, it still looks amazing without it.

The Extreme preset mostly just embellishes details and effects that are already there.  The temporal AA is more stable, the motion blur seems a bit more smoother and filmic, and enemies and other stuff are rendered just a bit further out.  Also some of the post processing effects and shadows are more pronounced and defined.  Going to the High preset, you still maintain all the effects but they're just cut back a bit in sample rate and clarity, so the immediate impact to the visuals is almost nothing.  

The can and do make a difference, but Extreme is really meant for hardware that's a couple gens out, so that you can come back, play this game and have seriously impressive image quality.

When the next gen consoles come, we'll see better use of the hardware into really pushing things that make a visual difference instead of just an image quality difference.  Also, next gen, we will have mesh shaders... and geometry is going to be insane.

19 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

3F1E48B1-8F21-4D5C-BBCB-D7FC6C6449B6.jpeg

I just don't understand the need for this shit, like I told Remij this has to be coded into the rendering pipeline of the game so why not just code in checkerboard rendering instead?

Better visual results than DLSS by leaps and bounds and from what I've seen it has a far better performance gain.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
25 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I just don't understand the need for this shit, like I told Remij this has to be coded into the rendering pipeline of the game so why not just code in checkerboard rendering instead?

Better visual results than DLSS by leaps and bounds and from what I've seen it has a far better performance gain.

It'll get better.  It's early.. and the technology is only going to improve.  If it was as you say (with regards to checkerboard rendering) everyone would be doing it in their games already... Also, I don't think checkerboard rendering will play nicely with ray-tracing.. so there's limitations as to just how few pixels you can actually render to get a desirable result when you already have to sample a certain amount of pixels to discover the values the remaining pixels should be.

Both technologies have caveats.  Checkerboard rendering has issues and artifacts, and also isn't temporally stable at all.  DLSS provides a very temporally stable image.. and also removes artifacts that would otherwise remain if using TAA or Checkerboard rendering, but requires quite a bit of work by the developers anyway to train these networks sufficiently so that you get desirable results across the entire game.  Some parts in Metro look very good with DLSS, and others.. quite blurry.  The network needs more training.

I truly believe that Nvidia will be able to improve and work on parameters to improve the detail and clarity of DLSS.  However, they certainly do deserve the ridicule they are getting with regards to it.  BF5 and Metro DLSS was definitely subpar and I don't know how they couldn't foresee this reaction coming.. considering what they promised with the tech.