Shenmue 2 was finished on Saturn? Or almost finished

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

He does that shit all the time.

Oh X?

That confirms that Y was Z!

Aza:danylol: 

Oh like him assuming astral chain is rushed because it's coming out in July and they were working on it in secret? 

Dude you are fucking retarded lol, Shenmue and Shenmue 2 were developed in tandem and it's all one game. Nothing was rushed, it was simply split into two separate packages to try as best as possible to recoup financial investment. These games cost like $60 million to develop and market, that's a $90 million dollar investment with inflation. 

7 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

You are literally seeing Shenmue 2 finished on Saturn as one game with what is OG Shenmue. Yet on the Dreamcast they released 2 years apart. 

Obviously it was split. 

Yeah because as I said it was one game, but it was not only too large to release as one game it would have put it at even greater financial risk. Shenmue is a 25 hour game and Shenmue II is a 30 hour game. For 1999 and the type of game it was those are long ass games. You also have to take into account that $60 million dollars factors in the Saturn version as well which had to be scrapped entirely. 

This is an early trailer for Shenmue on Dreamcast, hell I still have this disc. What is the purpose of this thread? The entire premise is stupid.

I don't get your point. We are seeing the full of Shenmue 2 finished on Saturn. Yet it took years to get the same content on Dreamcast. I don't understand how you can argue Shenmue 1 being finished or at the very least not rushed, when it didn't even remotely have content parity with the Saturn version. It's missing two huge ass cities present in the Saturn version. 

Edited by Team 2019
13 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

I don't get your point. We are seeing the full of Shenmue 2 finished on Saturn. Yet it took years to get the same content on Dreamcast. I don't understand how you can argue Shenmue 1 being finished or at the very least not rushed, when it didn't even remotely have content parity with the Saturn version. It's missing two huge ass cities present in the Saturn version. 

Nothing is missing, what became Shenmue and Shenmue II was developed as one title originally but it was simply too big of a game. I remember Yu Suzuki talking about the Saturn version and that had it released it would have to span 16 discs. It was split into two well before it ever made its way into Dreamcast development, they were already aware it was too big. They completed development for what became Shenmue and Shenmue II on Dreamcast at the same time but simply staggered its release by 21 months. 

What are you not understanding here? What is YOUR point? There's no cut content, they just couldn't release a game that large as a single title. Even on Dreamcast it took 7 packed to the brim GD-ROM's to see the completion of both games.

1 hour ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Nothing is missing, what became Shenmue and Shenmue II was developed as one title originally but it was simply too big of a game. I remember Yu Suzuki talking about the Saturn version and that had it released it would have to span 16 discs. It was split into two well before it ever made its way into Dreamcast development, they were already aware it was too big. They completed development for what became Shenmue and Shenmue II on Dreamcast at the same time but simply staggered its release by 21 months. 

What are you not understanding here? What is YOUR point? There's no cut content, they just couldn't release a game that large as a single title. Even on Dreamcast it took 7 packed to the brim GD-ROM's to see the completion of both games.

16 discs on the Saturn, not necessarily Dreamcast. Are we seriously going to use disc space as a measure of why completed content needs to be split.

Just now, Team 2019 said:

16 discs on the Saturn, not necessarily Dreamcast. Are we seriously going to use disc space as a measure of why completed content needs to be split.

It was one of the reasons, the other was sales and recouping investment. As I said it still ended up being 7 discs on Dreamcast and that's with major audio compression on 1.2 GB GD-ROM's.