So Checkerboarding, yay or nay?

The technique has had some amazing results in hitting 2160p with noticeable and other high resolutions without affecting image quality in a significant impact compared to native. 

Horizon, God of War, Infamous (Ghosts of Tsushima), Death Stranding, Witcher 3,Spiderman, RE7, RE2 etc have had fantastic results on Pro. 

Then on the other hand we've had dogshit results with a few games most notably RDR2. 

Wonder if they can improve reconstruction techniques for next gen. Sadly DLSS seems to have had some horrible results outside of FFXV. 

Still think it's a great technique. 

Edited by Team 2019
13 minutes ago, kokujin said:

Do you understand how it works? :wonder: why wouldn't all devs or high budget franchise games use it?  2kp sounds nice. 

Not all engines from what devs said can do it effectively, in both quality and performance. Can't Jerry rig it into everything. And some just don't care enough to bother since it's not a universal technique across all 3 systems. Pro has dedicated hardware that needs to be used to get it at a good performance. 

Edited by Team 2019

Nay, we shouldn't get in a trend of artificially rendering out scenes, native should be pushed as much as possible. The reality is the only system on the market that actually needs checkerboard rendering to reach stated acceptability is the PlayStation 4 Pro. 

There isn't some universal need for the tech to exist or be implemented everywhere. It has novel benefits but the reality is it's just filling a hole for a lack of proper hardware capability. 

Machine Learning is the future for image reconstruction.  When you actually look at how technology is advancing, and HOW gpus are going to be made going forward, they are going to have cores for accelerating all these types of things.  Tensor cores can accelerate inferencing.. which doesn't only imply "upres-ing" but that can also be used for inferencing game animations and frame interpolation.  Yes, ML running on tensor cores or their AMD equivalent will be able to improve and simulate animations in games.

The other thing I want to mention is that ML doesn't only have to be used for "reducing rendering workloads" but instead can and will be used to improve rendering and details, such as image quality, stability, and of course textures themselves.  A developer could enhance textures and give the tensor cores the parameters to display extra detail only when those textures are seen at a distance where that detail would indeed be visible.  Since the cores could already be trained to improve and make those textures more realistic, they could also improve the quality of the "less impressive" textures so that there would be less glaringly obvious low res textures in areas the developers don't put quite as much love into normally.

And I know that DLSS is getting a bad rap right now because of some sub-par implementations, but I'd like to remind everyone (I know you guys all love to attack and hate anything which doesn't provide immediate results) that it's still early days... very early.  There's huge potential here. Algorithms will get better, things will definitely improve.. and the best thing about DLSS is the temporal stability it can bring with it.  It's early.. and detail retention will improve as will clarity and artifacts will improve.  BF5 and Metro definitely have sub part DLSS implementation, but FF15 has proven it can work.. and of course it will get better.  Nvidia and 4AGames and DICE have noted the issues and are working on improving them.  DLSS in Metro is soft, but not as bad as BF5.  I fully expect them to get both games improved to the point where it becomes better to use DLSS than not use it.  I'm confident in saying this because both Metro and BF5 have seemingly had DLSS added rather hastily.  Both games were not initially going to support the technology, just ray tracing.  I think Nvidia was feeling the burn about only having one DLSS enabled game out there and so they rushed support for them.

I will say that Nvidia definitely dropped the ball with DLSS.  They should have had at least 5-10 games supporting it... right at launch.  Devs didn't have the cards in hand until like a week or 2 before the announcement.  That's pretty shitty considering all the new technologies they introduced with Turing.  But this stuff isn't going away.. it's absolutely going to impact games in the future, and most notably, how games are developed. 

TL;DR Machine Learning is the future of everything.

5 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Nay, we shouldn't get in a trend of artificially rendering out scenes, native should be pushed as much as possible. The reality is the only system on the market that actually needs checkerboard rendering to reach stated acceptability is the PlayStation 4 Pro. 

There isn't some universal need for the tech to exist or be implemented everywhere. It has novel benefits but the reality is it's just filling a hole for a lack of proper hardware capability. 

Blah blah blah didn't read but I know your opinion is wrong.

6 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Dude... you realize that ALL forms of rendering are hacks which are implemented to help performance reach an acceptable level on all hardware, right?

This technology will be integral for continuing to raise the bar in more meaningful ways.  More efficiently rendering is NOT a "trend of artificially rendering scenes" it's being more efficient and weighing the tradeoffs to implement the best solution possible for the end users.

Again, you seem to be treating checkerboard rendering as a technology which can't or won't improve...  And I'd also like to add that most games these days, even running in native resolution... are using stochastic methods of rendering and sampling effects and lighting as well as anti-aliasing.

Render smarter... not harder.