New update for Metro improving RTX and DLSS support and fixing bugs

I just downloaded it and did some initial tests to see if DLSS was indeed improved... and yes.  It's now MUCH better than it was before.

These are screens I made comparing native 4K to the new DLSS.

4K native

40205729923_026c1bef72_o.png

4K DLSS

46256493045_350b1b7c88_o.png

4K native

40205731593_98617a4951_o.png

4K DLSS

40205730793_2b6082400c_o.png

4K native

47170646471_927f6941a1_o.png

4K DLSS

47170646851_8b1e89499e_o.png

Not 100% perfect (it was never going to be better than native 4K)... but MUCH MUCH better now.  While actually playing, it's impossible to tell the difference.  DLSS is now the preferred way to play Metro :smoke: 

Jon, I'll try 1440p DLSS after, but wont be able to try 1080p because it's restricted (rofl)

The difference is quite massive compared to what it was before.  I have a sneaking suspicion that they were trying a different kind of algorithm with BF5 and Metro that would have been a general purpose type of DLSS implementation... but then got called out that it was obviously too blurry so they actually had to train the neural networks for these games with data.  Because honestly, there was something wrong with how blurry it was in these two games compared to FF15 and Port Royale.  Something had to have been off.  Either that or they simply rushed support and didn't train the networks nearly enough..

DLSS :glad: 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doesn't Look So Sharp

Destroyed.

The most important part is Remij has the $$$ to play around with all this shit. Major respect.

2 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Honestly though, its like what. The first 5 games to implement it? So it could be rough, at least it proves their tech demos weren't doctored fake shit.

It is rough..  it's extremely early.. and their networks and algorithms are improving over time.  This is just the beginning.  Of course.. if every game ships like how BF5 and Metro had implemented DLSS to begin with... then they might as well pack their bags right now.

There was NO reason for Metro to feature DLSS in the shape it was in at launch.  That was a major fail and really hurt perception of the technology.  So soooo stupid of them to release it like that.  Now it's like.. ok this is more like it.  Still not perfect, but definitely a good alternative to gain some performance back.  People could look at this and be like yea.. I'll use that.  Whereas before... no, it was way too blurry and too much loss of detail to even consider.

Nvidia can't be making stupid mistakes like that.  They need to push DLSS and make sure that there's really very little to no appreciable impact to visuals in any future games they release with DLSS.  No fucking up and then fixing later.

Just now, jehurey said:

Actually looking at a pair of screenshots, I thought the native 4K looked a bit blurry in spots.

There's a heat haze effect which is probably what you're seeing.  Or are you talking about someone else's shots?

Just now, Remij_ said:

There's a heat haze effect which is probably what you're seeing.  Or are you talking about someone else's shots?

in your first post, i was looking at the final two screens you have, comparing the native 4K with the 4K DLSS version.

And then I allows the screens to be shown at full-res, so it exceeds my monitor screen, and I was looking around the player's left wrist, watch area, and looking at that concrete embankment that is to the left of the wrist., also the top of the embankment where there's some straight edges to compare.

1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

What are the performance gains though, PR was 40%. But you know, PR.

Percentages not really sure.  But I've noticed I gain anything from like 12-20fps at 4K between DLSS on and off.  With RTX off, the gain is less than with RTX on.  In the first group of pics I had ray tracing off.

I'm gonna make a couple comparisons with 1440p, 1440p DLSS, 4K, and 4K DLSS.  I'll do them with RT on and off and we can see the fps differences.

18 minutes ago, jehurey said:

in your first post, i was looking at the final two screens you have, comparing the native 4K with the 4K DLSS version.

And then I allows the screens to be shown at full-res, so it exceeds my monitor screen, and I was looking around the player's left wrist, watch area, and looking at that concrete embankment that is to the left of the wrist., also the top of the embankment where there's some straight edges to compare.

Yea.  In some areas the DLSS looks better actually.  The stability of the image and lower amounts of ghosting make it look really good in motion.

As I said, yes, if you look closely, you can see slight detail missing with DLSS.. but on a screen from normal viewing distances.. and, you know, actually playing the game...it's a non issue.  It looks really damn good.

The main problem with DLSS at the moment is that HDR is fucked with it on.  The whole screen is just bright and washed out.  They're supposed to be working on a fix though.

Also, the lead graphics R&D at 4AGames said that the patch includes hundreds of bug fixes as well as other issues affecting the game.. so that's kind of important too lol, considering one of my issues with the game was how janky it can be sometimes.

Another interesting thing (probably only to me) is that he also said that their Ray traced Global Illumination is about 10x as compute heavy as reflections would be.  He said if they had gone with reflections they would have essentially been free.  That was a response to someone who asked about how DICE's RT reflections compared computationally to what 4AGames was doing with RT in Metro.

Once devs start sharing their experiences and tech with each other, things are going to improve dramatically.

12 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

No lol.

There absolutely is, don't try to bullshit me lol... There's considerably lower detail and blur over the scene not seen in a native render, every aspect of the scene takes a hit; everything.

Who do you think you're fooling? :really:

Native top, DLSS bottom... Obviously

40207088323_15a0d0084d_o.png

40207088813_2a27eb494d_o.png

32230100997_8f55d1daf2_o.png

40207088703_32957ef2de_o.png

46257820025_702cffc02f_o.png

32230102037_11cece2c36_o.png

32230100347_0520c04598_o.png

32230101547_d92ca10d7e_o.png