Rumor: Next Xbox To Feature Ray Tracing, 1TB NVMe SSD Storage; DevKit To Release After GDC 2019

4 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

GDC is in like two weeks..

LOL, this is the only thing you can hide behind.

But even then, its dubious. Like I said, AMD has a shareholder responsibility to provide a roadmap to all of their projects.

Not only are you expecting them to develop raytracing tech.............but you are also expecting them to go straight into designing it for an APU, which they almost never do. Its always debuted first in their dedicated GPUs, and then they design an APU with that new architecture. You know this.

You really are putting alot of faith in AMD revealing several things at once at GDC.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

there is a thread with this exact same thing already.  Same source for the MS games on Switch.    lemme guess... you only believe this part of it? lol

I hate this evolution of multiple consoles in a gen. After 2-3 years we'll see another batch of upgraded systems, PosC lite yuck.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

LOL, this is the only thing you can hide behind.

But even then, its dubious. Like I said, AMD has a shareholder responsibility to provide a roadmap to all of their projects.

Not only are you expecting them to develop raytracing tech.............but you are also expecting them to go straight into designing it for an APU, which they almost never do. Its always debuted first in their dedicated GPUs, and then they design an APU with that new architecture. You know this.

You really are putting alot of faith in AMD revealing several things at once at GDC.

What is wrong with you? Hiding behind what? Fuck your posting is weird and has all this inferred intent or actions not even there like people are constantly trying to pull something over on you.... Try acting normal for once.

Having a shareholder responsibility doesn't mean you just spill your guts with everything. If that were the case we would at all times know everything about everything. High level stake holders are informed of internal roadmaps and exactly what is going on from square one, not the meager public of share holders who have extremely scattered investment. They're informed like the rest of us are.

I'm assuming it's already been well in development for quite some time, also it's architecturally bound so even if there is an APU it would exist within the same architectural constraints, capabilities and feature availability as its discrete brethren.

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

What is wrong with you? Hiding behind what? Fuck your posting is weird and has all this inferred intent or actions not even there like people are constantly trying to pull something over on you.... Try acting normal for once.

Having a shareholder responsibility doesn't mean you just spill your guts with everything. If that were the case we would at all times know everything about everything. High level stake holders are informed of internal roadmaps and exactly what is going on from square one, not the meager public of share holders who have extremely scattered investment. They're informed like the rest of us are.

I'm assuming it's already been well in development for quite some time, also it's architecturally bound so even if there is an APU it would exist within the same architectural constraints, capabilities and feature availability as its discrete brethren.

You seem to be getting mad because I am putting LOGICAL restrictions on your hopes and dreams.

Yes they do need to notify investors of future projects. Especially if the GPU is based on Navi, they have provided a roadmap about their GPUs, and one of the things AMD determines is how soon they can transition from designing a traditional dedicated GPU into an APU.

You are now making an assumption that their plans for raytracing is meant to use existing Navi architecture.......you have no proof, you are simply guessing. And if its anything like nVidia's tech, it would simply "cost" too much in rendering power to deliver raytracing at 4K with 12 TFLOPS of rendering power.

AMD would have to finish development, the raytracing technology.

AMD would have to develop the software library that utilizes raytracing in Navi.

AMD would have to present this to Microsoft for their approval.

AMD would have to then take the raytracing tech and incorporate it into an APU

AMD would then have to have prototypes created and tested

All of that would have to happen before the latter half of 2019 because it would need to go to manufacturing.

You have not asked yourself those types of questions.........because you're running on hopes and dreams. You are expecting quite alot to be said at GDC.

6 minutes ago, jehurey said:

You seem to be getting mad because I am putting LOGICAL restrictions on your hopes and dreams.

Yes they do need to notify investors of future projects. Especially if the GPU is based on Navi, they have provided a roadmap about their GPUs, and one of the things AMD determines is how soon they can transition from designing a traditional dedicated GPU into an APU.

You are now making an assumption that their plans for raytracing is meant to use existing Navi architecture.......you have no proof, you are simply guessing. And if its anything like nVidia's tech, it would simply "cost" too much in rendering power to deliver raytracing at 4K with 12 TFLOPS of rendering power.

AMD would have to finish development, the raytracing technology.

AMD would have to develop the software library that utilizes raytracing in Navi.

AMD would have to present this to Microsoft for their approval.

AMD would have to then take the raytracing tech and incorporate it into an APU

AMD would then have to have prototypes created and tested

All of that would have to happen before the latter half of 2019 because it would need to go to manufacturing.

You have not asked yourself those types of questions.........because you're running on hopes and dreams. You are expecting quite alot to be said at GDC.

I'm not even debating any of this because frankly it's not worth my time and I'd say exactly what I already have, there's zero need to reiterate so relate to my previous post and suck a dick. That or respond with some kind of non-sequitur like you generally do. 

Hopes and dreams Jerry? Hopes and dreams? Are you fucking kidding me? This is from the same source as the Nintendo stuff is yet here you're getting all questionable about things but over there in that other thread it's sky's the limit...

1 minute ago, bhytre said:

I hate this evolution of multiple consoles in a gen. After 2-3 years we'll see another batch of upgraded systems, PosC lite yuck.

There shouldn't be a need for anything else after these systems. The problem with Xbox One and PS4 is they came about during a period where display technology was transitioning and what was available and feasible couldn't account for it. That's not going to the case for these consoles, there will be a 1080p focused system and a 4K focused system. Both running Zen 2 CPU's and properly compute scaling in the GPU department to handle any load at their respective resolutions while being able to push 60 FPS.

For the 1080p system imagine a bettered PS4 Pro GPU with a much more powerful CPU. You'll have headroom on all fronts for 1080p 60 FPS gaming not only to account for the framerate but also newer and better engine technology and its demands. The same applies to the 4K system, same CPU with no doubt a bit of an overclock for the 60 FPS push to 4K and a 12+ Teraflop GPU which again gives you the ability to hit 4K plus accounts for engine headroom. 

It's a perfectly designed strategy, it covers the 1080p holdouts and the 4K adopters in one fell swoop and nets them the same performative and graphical experience at completely different resolutions. 

1 hour ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I'm not even debating any of this because frankly it's not worth my time and I'd say exactly what I already have, there's zero need to reiterate so relate to my previous post and suck a dick. That or respond with some kind of non-sequitur like you generally do. 

Hopes and dreams Jerry? Hopes and dreams? Are you fucking kidding me? This is from the same source as the Nintendo stuff is yet here you're getting all questionable about things but over there in that other thread it's sky's the limit...

For goodness sakes, calm down.

AMD is not some miracle factory. There's a process they have to go through to get something out the door as a consumer product.

You know, better than most people, that AMD has been overperforming on the CPU front.....but not really keeping up with nVidia on the GPU front. You already know that the Sony PS5 rumor does not mention anything about raytracing, and that rumor pegs the console at 12 to 14 TFLOPs.

Are you genuinely telling me that you ACCEPTED this information at face value, and you didn't have these logical questions that I made?

Because if that's what you did.........then, yeah, you're running on Hopes and Dreams. Don't get mad because I'm pointing out the obvious.

My thoughts:

At this point I'm pretty fairly certain the next gen consoles will both have Ray Tracing support... BUT.. that only means DXR support in software (whatever Sony uses as well), which as we all know has a fallback layer for GPUs which don't have accelerated RT cores.  So the rumors stating Ray Tracing support could simply be referencing that.  There COULD be dedicated hardware for accelerating Ray Tracing inside the next consoles.  I wouldn't rule it out.. but it's more likely they'll just use the fallback DXR layer, and like I had said before, will use Ray Tracing sparingly and to good effect.

Everything posted here seems within reason, so it could be whatever.. or it could not.  It's exciting though... even if they are just rumors.  There's so much shit happening and changing right now.  The next gen could be completely different than this past gen.  GDC is right around the corner and there's a lot of Ray Tracing talks as well as others including AI and Machine Learning, so the industry is buzzing.

That said.. I've learned to lower expectations with AMD.  I'm not convinced that they have a solid plan going into this ray tracing and deep learning future.  I was actually just thinking about this today... within 3 months or so, we're going to know a whole lot more about next gen.  E3 is going to have either announcements or demonstrations from MS about the future of Xbox... they have to talk about it this E3.  Sony could very well have an announcement event detailing plans as well.  It's all going to be happening very soon.  :glad: 

The big question is: Are Microsoft and Sony committing to real 4K resolution for their games?

Because I can't see them adding much more major graphical features if this is supposed to be running at 4K.

In fact, its the mid-tier Xbox console that makes me think that. It definitely could not perform this raytracing stuff, because it appears that its GPU is strictly meant to achieve 4K.

12 minutes ago, jehurey said:

The big question is: Are Microsoft and Sony committing to real 4K resolution for their games?

Because I can't see them adding much more major graphical features if this is supposed to be running at 4K.

In fact, its the mid-tier Xbox console that makes me think that. It definitely could not perform this raytracing stuff, because it appears that its GPU is strictly meant to achieve 4K.

The mid tier is probably going to be targeting 1440p or 4k upscaling and the high tier native 4k. 

Hell look at all these multiplats in native 4k on the 1x now. RDR2 and Metro run effortlessly. 

Edited by Vini
1 minute ago, jehurey said:

That's a very good question.  I'm wondering that myself.  I expect Sony to make smart decisions on a per game basis and not try to have their developers push for that extra resolution in lieu of better graphical effects.  Thing is Jehurey, we don't really know what kinds of advancements Navi will bring with it.. so architectural efficiency improvements (Variable rate shading, Rapid Packed Math, and "Mesh shaders" or Geometry Shaders in AMDs case), are going to all play a part.. aside from that we can bet they've made improvements to their image reconstruction technologies.  The perceptible difference could be lower than ever.. and it could be that Sony first party use all the tricks in the book, while 3rd parties push native or whatever works for them as well.

MS will target native 4K in all their own games, and 3rd party will continue to do what they do.  

It really comes down to how well balanced these consoles end up being and whether or not devs use those powerful Ryzen 2 cores to good use with better physics and AI.

That is unless either of them have some crazy new thing that devs flock to.  Who knows?

41 minutes ago, Vini said:

The mid tier is probably going to be targeting 1440p or 4k upscaling and the high tier native 4k. 

Hell look at all these multiplats in native 4k on the 1x now. RDR2 and Metro run effortlessly. 

No console would target 1440p, there's no 1440p televisions.

8 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

This sounds a bit more realistic than that 20 GB's of GDDR6 + 4 GB's of DDR4 leaked for PS5.

In terms of the NVMe storage... maybe... It really depends on who the manufacturer is, the prices for NVMe storage is all over the place.

It seems like PS5 and Anaconda are going to be near identical with some nuanced differences, Lockhart is a different story and who knows if Sony is going a two tiered route. 

This sounds exactly like the PS5 "leaks". Only difference is that the PS5 "leak" was for a devkit.

Doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, NVMe seems too expensive... it's not only that capacity is expensive, but NVMe requires 4 lanes.

I don't see Sony going a two tiered route, it doesn't make sense, especially when the power difference is significant like that.

• 1 year later...