Brie Larson Doesn’t Want ‘Captain Marvel’ Press Tour To Be “Overwhelmingly White Male”

:tom:

“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male. So, I spoke to Dr Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of colour, it sounded like across the board they weren’t getting the same opportunities as others. When I talked to the facilities that weren’t providing it, they all had different excuses.”

It’s not the first time Larson has specifically spoken her thoughts on this subject. Back in June of last year, the actress is quoted as saying:

“[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”

https://www.screengeek.net/2019/02/13/captain-marvel-press-tour-brie-larson-white-male/

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The clitoris has 8,000 nerve endings and still isn't as sensitive as white guys on the internet.

The Jerry Merry Go Round really is something else.  'So what you're saying is....'  'You won't answer this' (Procedes to answer this) 'You sound...' 'you sound like you're'  

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, McWicked said:

:roff: 

Weren't we talking about Oscar nominations? I said I would make a thread about it if another stupid marvel movie gets nominated. 

Brie Larson being a racist sexist is another issue. :comicbookguy:

4 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Why is @McWickeddefending racism and sexism? 

You are so oppressed, Cookie.  You're a victim.  Letting a few black people into the press tour instead of them all being white?  It's a travesty.

Have you filed for victimhood status on your taxes? :cruise: 

6 minutes ago, McWicked said:

You are so oppressed, Cookie.  You're a victim.  Letting a few black people into the press tour instead of them all being white?  It's a travesty.

Have you filed for victimhood status on your taxes? :cruise: 

Oh so it's ok to be racist to someone if they aren't oppressed.. Got it. Wait if people are constantly on the receiving end of racism is that not oppression? 

5 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Wait if people are constantly on the receiving end of racism is that not oppression? 

...You think white people are constantly on the receiving end of racism?

2 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Congressman, as Ah sit hur todah, i cannot ansuh that kweshtun. :mjpls:

Guess we're not going to get an answer to that one, are we? :] 

EDIT: Edited to reflect the Whitaker defense. :cruise: 

Edited by McWicked

Well the butthurt may not be evident here on SW, but across the web it's evident... :] 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/feb/27/rotten-tomatoes-captain-marvel-brie-larson-review-trolls

Rotten Tomatoes rescues Captain Marvel from review trolls

The reviews aggregator has stopped comments being posted before a film’s release date after Brie Larson’s forthcoming movie attracted hostility for having a female lead

Rotten Tomatoes is fighting back against online trolls. The reviews aggregator site announced that it will prevent users from commenting on a film before its release date, after a recent barrage of negative online comments targeting the forthcoming Captain Marvel film.

Captain Marvel... is released in US and UK cinemas on 8 March, but has nonetheless been subject to a flurry of negative reviews posted to the film’s Rotten Tomatoes page over the last few weeks, resulting in its “audience score” plummeting from 96% to 54%.

18 minutes ago, jehurey said:

The clitoris has 8,000 nerve endings and still isn't as sensitive as white guys on the internet.

Wait a minute! Men are told masculinity is toxic yet when they are sensitive they get attacked too? :monkas: