Digital Foundry: Anthem is best on Pro

Visuals:
- Base PS4 presents more smoothly than the demo.
- PS4 Pro: 1080p mode and 4K mode still present. 30 FPS cap enforced on all versions (including base). No more unlocked frame rate.
- HDR support has been restored.
- Dynamic res confirmed across all consoles. (including base PS4)
- Can vary from 80% to full buffer (whether it's 1080p on base PS4 or 4K on mid-gens). PS4 Pro likely relying on checker board rendering.
- CB rendering commended as 'outstanding' with CB evidence only visible upon zooming in.
- Texture quality is a match, however in some instance X shows higher quality art.
- In some select scenes, Pro has reduced shadows compared to X, but mostly they're same.

Performance:
- Frame rate gap between 4K modes on Pro and X is much closer but Pro is still a touch smoother than X
- Pro 4K mode vs Base PS4: Performance is very similar, 30 FPS target but neither is 100% locked with small dips.
- Standard PS4 more heavily impacted from streaming issues.
- Big explosive effects can cause bigger dips on Pro compared to Base.
- Pro's 1080p mode is effectively locked through out. Performance dips from 4K mode are gone.
- Entering new areas can cause streaming related hitches even at 1080p, but much less so than other PS4 modes.
- Pro @ 1080p "only console model where I (Rich) wasn't bothered by hiccups"
- "It's the best way to play Anthem on consoles, but not visually the most pleasing"

Ranking:
- Base Xbox continues to be the worst performing version. Base PS4 is third.
- X and Pro are trade offs, X has visual advantage but Pro has smoother performance (in 4K mode).
- Pro's 1080p mode is Rich's favorite way to play the game on consoles.

holy fuck :tom:

Edited by Quad Damage
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sure I can!       No!  I can't!  

Didn't I specifically predict this?   -PS4pro comes out first, will get decent support from devs, but the best support will come from first-party -Xbox One X comes out next, the develop

"Buy Xbox One S, Get [the worst version of] Anthem! "  

Posted Images

When forcing a console to 1080p is the only way to hit 30fps consistently, you know the devs fucked up .

They should have made it 1440 on pro and 1800p on Xbox and that probably would have fixed the fr issues and still have been playable , without being PS4 normal resolution 

This was never a legitimate 4K generation.

And to be honest, I don't think we're going to be all that blown away in graphics in the next-gen because developers used up alot of that GPU rendering power on displaying 4K resolution.

CPU is going to be a noticeable upgrade, probably larger areas with more characters on-screen.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

This was never a legitimate 4K generation.

And to be honest, I don't think we're going to be all that blown away in graphics in the next-gen because developers used up alot of that GPU rendering power on displaying 4K resolution.

CPU is going to be a noticeable upgrade, probably larger areas with more characters on-screen.

You're forgetting memory bandwidth. That's the first thing devs run out according to Cerny, way before of anything else.

So basically X and Pro have near framerate parity, it seems to be maybe a 1 FPS difference and the X is rendering out a 100%+ higher native render with better caching that results in textures, shadows and assets loading in properly while they're absent on Pro or load in late.

Gotcha. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
4 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

So basically X and Pro have near framerate parity, it seems to be maybe a 1 FPS difference and the X is rendering out a 100%+ higher native render with better caching that results in textures, shadows and assets loading in properly while they're absent on Pro or load in late.

Gotcha. 

There we go; that's the DC (DynamiteCop and/or Damage Control) we're all used too.

5 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Who cares? It's an asshole of a game

Egh, I've learned enough over the years to think and purchase for myself and not on the backs of what other people think. 

95/100 times my instinct for what I may enjoy is accurate. 

56 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Gotcha. 

-Frame rate gap between 4K modes on Pro and X is much closer but Pro is still a touch smoother than X
-Pro's 1080p mode is effectively locked through out. Performance dips from 4K mode are gone.
-Pro @ 1080p "only console model where I (Rich) wasn't bothered by hiccups"
-"It's the best way to play Anthem on consoles"

deenoStahp.jpgdeenoStahp.jpgdeenoStahp.jpgdeenoStahp.jpg

1 minute ago, Quad Damage said:

-Frame rate gap between 4K modes on Pro and X is much closer but Pro is still a touch smoother than X
-Pro's 1080p mode is effectively locked through out. Performance dips from 4K mode are gone.
-Pro @ 1080p "only console model where I (Rich) wasn't bothered by hiccups"
-"It's the best way to play Anthem on consoles"

deenoStahp.jpgdeenoStahp.jpgdeenoStahp.jpgdeenoStahp.jpg

1080p

$400 console

:hest:

Edited by DynamiteCop!
Just now, Quad Damage said:

multiplats best on pro

BTFO

:hest: 

"best"

300% higher resolution on the X with better caching for everything and a 7% performance differential

"best"

:lawl:

2 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

Sony fans bought 2 ps4s to play at the same resolution for 2 more fps lol

:pavarotti: