Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MalaXmaS

Exercises with dumbbells for begineers?

Recommended Posts

I just got a pair of 25 pound dumbbells which I intend to work out as a beginneer.

Once I am comfortable, I'll get a pair of 35 pounds and then improve.

My question is how many sets and reps should I start with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had always heard that the weight and the reps should be as such where you are struggling to meet the scheduled amount of reps within your FIRST set. And then the second set is really supposed to be a struggle, and then the third set is to the point of failure, however long that lasts.

 

Also, if you're not used to it, and you end up working out your arms, and shoulders, you need to make sure that you aren't doing anything the next day (or two) that require you to move your arms alot. Because it could get bad enough to the point where your arms are fucked and you have limited movement for a couple of days.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I had always heard that the weight and the reps should be as such where you are struggling to meet the scheduled amount of reps within your FIRST set. And then the second set is really supposed to be a struggle, and then the third set is to the point of failure, however long that lasts.

 

Also, if you're not used to it, and you end up working out your arms, and shoulders, you need to make sure that you aren't doing anything the next day (or two) that require you to move your arms alot. Because it could get bad enough to the point where your arms are fucked and you have limited movement for a couple of days.

I know.

It happened to me before when I used to go to the gym.

The max set of dumbbell weights that I got to lift was 35 pounds per arm. 

I wanted to gain muscle and tone it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much time are you willing to devote to each workout? How many days a week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much of a work out you can handle  lol.  Also less is better than nothing.  Make  sure  you eat,  or otherwise  a waste of time.  I don't  think  rep and sets matter much. Just build strength  and  keep  it right.  

 

I would  weigh 130lbs if I didn't  work  out  lol smh 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, -GD- said:

How much time are you willing to devote to each workout? How many days a week?

3days a week

 

Start slow and pick up from there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

3days a week

 

Start slow and pick up from there

Are you giving add vice?

Edited by Alien Jim
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

3days a week

 

Start slow and pick up from there

do a 3 day a week plan

 

mon 

5 sets of body weight squats

5 sets of push ups

5 sets of dumbbell rows 

 

 

wednesday

 

5 sets of body weight squats

5 sets of dumbbell shoulder presses

5 sets of dumbbell deadlifts

 

friday

 

5 sets of body weight squats

5 sets of push ups

5 sets of dumbbell rows 

--------------------------

 

best bang for your buck. don't bother doing isolating exercises until you build a good foundation. from there, you can see what's lagging, and add stuff like curls/lateral raises/tricep extension/etc.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, -GD- said:

do a 3 day a week plan

 

mon 

5 sets of body weight squats

5 sets of push ups

5 sets of dumbbell rows 

 

 

wednesday

 

5 sets of body weight squats

5 sets of dumbbell shoulder presses

5 sets of dumbbell deadlifts

 

friday

 

5 sets of body weight squats

5 sets of push ups

5 sets of dumbbell rows 

--------------------------

 

best bang for your buck. don't bother doing isolating exercises until you build a good foundation. from there, you can see what's lagging, and add stuff like curls/lateral raises/tricep extension/etc.

 

Interesting.  Lot of body  weights.. Good..? 

 

I love push ups triceps,  incline,  bench when you can finally  use  it. Man just do what your body can push imo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, -GD- said:

do a 3 day a week plan

 

mon 

5 sets of body weight squats

5 sets of push ups

5 sets of dumbbell rows 

 

 

wednesday

 

5 sets of body weight squats

5 sets of dumbbell shoulder presses

5 sets of dumbbell deadlifts

 

friday

 

5 sets of body weight squats

5 sets of push ups

5 sets of dumbbell rows 

--------------------------

 

best bang for your buck. don't bother doing isolating exercises until you build a good foundation. from there, you can see what's wlagging, and add stuff like curls/lateral raises/tricep extension/etc.

 

I am following this routine.

My legs are sore so it's working!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MalaXmaS said:

One more thing GD.

What should I eat?

are you bulky? too thin? skinny fat?

 

these are important factors. what do you currently weigh? what's your target weight? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, -GD- said:

are you bulky? too thin? skinny fat?

 

these are important factors. what do you currently weigh? what's your target weight? 

I am 5.6 and weight about 178 pounds.

Picture a soccer player body build. That's what I am looking for.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

I am 5.6 and weight about 178 pounds.

Picture a soccer player body build. That's what I am looking for.

 

ok, you'll want to take in about 1800 calories a day.

i would say 30% protein; 35% carbs; 35% fat

 

fyi, 1g of protein is 4 calories; g of carbs is 4 calories; 1g of fat is 9 calories

 

ideal breakdown (you can eat 3, 4, or 6 meals a day - it's up to you. just get your 1,800):

 

135 grams of protein

157 grams of carbs

70 grams of fat 

------

 

you should lose 3 to 4 pounds your first week (water weight)..

then 1 or 2 pounds the next week

then 1 each following week

if you aren't dropping any weight, you'll need to reduce your caloric intake. 

Edited by -GD-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, -GD- said:

ok, you'll want to take in about 1800 calories a day.

i would say 30% protein; 35% carbs; 35% fat

 

fyi, 1g of protein is 4 calories; g of carbs is 4 calories; 1g of fat is 9 calories

 

ideal breakdown (you can eat 3, 4, or 6 meals a day - it's up to you. just get your 1,800):

 

135 grams of protein

157 grams of carbs

70 grams of fat 

------

 

you should lose 3 to 4 pounds your first week (water weight)..

then 1 or 2 pounds the next week

then 1 each following week

if you aren't dropping any weight, you'll need to reduce your caloric intake. 

Damn.

My problem is gonna have eating.

I only eat three times a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

Damn.

My problem is gonna have eating.

I only eat three times a day.

that's fine. this is just what works for me. give me a sample of what you have each day. i can modify it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×