I think Next Gen "4K" is going to be less important than ever

7 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

It's not the fact that they can't... it's that they wont.

Many more games this gen COULD have been 1080p/60fps... or native resolutions.. ect ect.  The thing about console development is that DEVELOPERS decide what to target.  And the reality is that they are smart enough to know when extra resolution becomes wasteful.  If we want TRULY next generation looking graphics... it's going to come at 30fps and sub native 4K pixel counts... guaranteed.  Just as it always is.  Just because the hardware is more powerful doesn't mean that the baselines set in place since HD consoles began was going to change.  30fps will always be a viable framerate for console games, and to push the hardware, they are going to render more efficiently.

People aren't even going to notice the difference... nor will they give a fuck about resolutions when they see a truly next gen looking game.

We get this every gen, people want resolution X and frame Y as standard. Like anyone but the forum anal audience will care if the next Halo or ND game are 2160p CB or 1800p or something.

I don't understand why Sony, MS, and Nintendo don't have input in determining HDMI standards.

Besides cable companies, who else has a bigger reliance on HDMI and TVs than game console companies?

We need HDMI standards to include variable framerate from the very beginning.

If this whole 16-bit precision thing is possible, Sony and MS need to start implementing that now and giving developers the tools to do that.

I said at the very beginning that spending GPU power on rendering the SAME IMAGE by 400% is a fucking waste of GPU rendering power.