Gunn's Back for GOTG3!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://deadline.com/2019/03/james-gunn-reinstated-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-disney-suicide-squad-2-indefensible-social-media-messages-1202576444/  

I don't know why anybody who makes dark comedic jokes would want to type their jokes on Twitter.   I think Patton Oswalt is the only comedian who tweets, and the tweets translate pretty well

https://screenrant.com/james-gunn-suicide-squad-guardians-galaxy-3-impact/

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, kaz said:

jokes are bad :jasonj:

I don't know why anybody who makes dark comedic jokes would want to type their jokes on Twitter.

I think Patton Oswalt is the only comedian who tweets, and the tweets translate pretty well to the Twitter format.

The whole point about dark, offensive comedy is that the comedian has to be SKILLFUL enough to bring the audience in with the joke, and deliver the punchline in such a way that you clearly mean no harm.

Jerry Seinfeld once said that making an edgey, dark joke was like trying to cross a minefield with laser beams all over the place. You can do it, as long as you skillfully execute it.

So when you post it on twitter, you aren't executing your own joke. The execution is being done by the person reading it. What are the chances some people aren't going to read it the way you want it to be read?  Very high.

I think posting jokes on Twitter is just stupid, unless you have perfect, harmlessly quirky jokes.

• NPC 1
Just now, jehurey said:

I don't know why anybody who makes dark comedic jokes would want to type their jokes on Twitter.

I think Patton Oswalt is the only comedian who tweets, and the tweets translate pretty well to the Twitter format.

The whole point about dark, offensive comedy is that the comedian has to be SKILLFUL enough to bring the audience in with the joke, and deliver the punchline in such a way that you clearly mean no harm.

Jerry Seinfeld once said that making an edgey, dark joke was like trying to cross a minefield with laser beams all over the place. You can do it, as long as you skillfully execute it.

So when you post it on twitter, you aren't executing your own joke. The execution is being done by the person reading it. What are the chances some people aren't going to read it the way you want it to be read?  Very high.

I think posting jokes on Twitter is just stupid, unless you have perfect, harmlessly quirky jokes.

to be fair it was literally the very beginning of twitter, no one knew what it would become. He was just being an idiot and didn't realize the repercussions 10 years later. 

49 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

He was just being an idiot and didn't realize the repercussions 10 years later. 

Wut?  Yes he did.  That's why he apologized and stopped the behavior.

43 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Awesome! So still doing Suicide Squad 2 also?

To be immediately clear, The Suicide Squad will still happen and make its August 6, 2021 release. Per the report on Gunn's rehiring, Marvel won't begin production on Guardians of the Galaxy 3 until after Suicide Squad 2 is completed. The rehiring of James Gunn appears to have been made with his current deal with Warner Bros. and DC considered. This will, of course, mean that Guardians of the Galaxy 3 will probably not release until 2023 at the earliest.

https://screenrant.com/james-gunn-suicide-squad-guardians-galaxy-3-impact/

• Like 1
9 hours ago, jehurey said:

I completely disagree with you. Jokes can be harmful and it's not the audience or the recipient to judge how good or bad a joke is otherwise dark humor wouldn't exist in the first place. 

34 minutes ago, kaz said:

I completely disagree with you. Jokes can be harmful and it's not the audience or the recipient to judge how good or bad a joke is otherwise dark humor wouldn't exist in the first place. 

this is a lazy copout on several levels.

This is no different than a grotesquely fat woman holding a sign that says "you must accept me for who I am. beautiful"

Comedy is a performance. If something is funny in your mind, KEEP IT IN YOUR MIND.

If you want to say it out loud, you must execute. Comedy is a mental trick. I must manipulate YOUR MIND to reach the same humorous conclusion that I've already planned out in MY MIND.

And the difficulty with dark humor, is whether you are good enough to take a boring, 40 year old housewife and manipulate her mind to get to a dark place, but find the humor in it. That's why jokes requires setups. YOU have to "set up" her mind in just the right way.

This is why typing out your joke to be read by strangers whom you don't know where their mind is currently at when they read your words is practically guaranteed to fail.

Edited by jehurey
2 hours ago, jehurey said:

this is a lazy copout on several levels.

This is no different than a grotesquely fat woman holding a sign that says "you must accept me for who I am. beautiful"

Comedy is a performance. If something is funny in your mind, KEEP IT IN YOUR MIND.

If you want to say it out loud, you must execute. Comedy is a mental trick. I must manipulate YOUR MIND to reach the same humorous conclusion that I've already planned out in MY MIND.

And the difficulty with dark humor, is whether you are good enough to take a boring, 40 year old housewife and manipulate her mind to get to a dark place, but find the humor in it. That's why jokes requires setups. YOU have to "set up" her mind in just the right way.

This is why typing out your joke to be read by strangers whom you don't know where their mind is currently at when they read your words is practically guaranteed to fail.

again you are wrong, jokes don't have to be perfectly executed. The people receiving have to understand the context. That is all there is to a joke, if it's a silly or a dark joke.

the way you think is mundane and very lazy to be honest. :jasonj:

14 hours ago, teh_4th said:

"Yea I get to watch my favorite pedo director again!!!"

LIBERALS  :D 

Be a pedo and you're sins are forgiven.

Dare to be a conservative and you're blacklisted for life.

These people have no morals.

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

the key to a lib’s heart is his favorite marvel movie :tom: 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, kaz said:

again you are wrong, jokes don't have to be perfectly executed. The people receiving have to understand the context. That is all there is to a joke, if it's a silly or a dark joke.

the way you think is mundane and very lazy to be honest. :jasonj:

LOL, i love how you're trying to throw back the same insult at me, even though it makes no sense.

Which is lazy, obviously.

No............you have to be GOOD at telling your joke. Or else you are just another comedic hack. You have responsibility, you can't just dump it at the feet of other people and then pretend its their responsibility to "get it."

10 hours ago, TLHBO said:

You're rooting for a president that gave Alexander Acosta the position of Secretary of Labor after Acosta got Epstein off the hook for raping underage girls.

JeffreyEpsteinDonaldTrumpBillClintonSexO

Don't pretend to be concerned about Gunn's harmless twitter jokes, sweetie. 

Edited by McWicked
3 hours ago, McWicked said:

You're rooting for a president that gave Alexander Acosta the position of Secretary of Labor after Acosta got Epstein off the hook for raping underage girls.

JeffreyEpsteinDonaldTrumpBillClintonSexO

Don't pretend to be concerned about Gunn's harmless twitter jokes, sweetie. 

The fucking hypocrisy there :D from a Democrat supporter.

On 2019-03-15 at 11:38 AM, jehurey said:

I think I give John Bautista a good chunk of credit, he seemed like he wasn't going to come back to the movie without Gunn.

And I bet they will have a planned method for addressing Gunn's old tweets when it comes time to promote the film.

Marvel needs to get started on their next phase of movies, and GOTG was getting delayed far longer than they'd like.

I have to say, that through all of this, I don't like the way Chris Pratt tip-toe'd his way out of this, not really doing anything to defend Gunn.

I don't think I like Chris Pratt. I don't like those people who peddle generic Christian-based motivational bullshit on social media, especially if they combine it with some American patriotism. And then, on talk shows, he gets to curse and he specifically tones down the Christianity part of his life.

Who is John Bautista?